Thread: E34 M5 engine swap

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3

E34 M5 engine swap

Has anyone done an engine swap using the E34 M5 engine? or even the euro S38B38? Will it fit in the E36 chassis? It has much more displacement and I would imagine a lot more torque as well. A few E34 guys have already swapped over the S50B30 engine, so I wouldn't doubt that the E34 engines would fit the E36 chassis. Anyone know of such a swap or has more info on it?

My Cars
    Yea, I would like to know this also.......I have a 89 M3 engine that want to go into something.....
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    It fits. It requires some fabrication, if I'm not mistaken... The S38 has been put in all sorts of crazy stuff.

FastrTHNu... what do you have that you want the S14 to go into? If its anything newer then the E30, you're pretty much better off sticking with an M50 derived motor.

S14's are brilliant in E30s, and when swapped into lighter cars like the 2002 or E21, they are even more brilliant. In an E36 or something... well... it just wouldn't be up to snuff. Not enough torque.

Steve

My Cars
    99 M3(RIP), 97 M3 Se
    i know it's been done on E30's, but i think most people that have done it, have either done it for show or just because they wanted to be different..........since you'd gain horsepower, and you'd loose handling due to the extra weight up front, not to mention the added headaches that come with that engine, from what i hear taking care of an E36 M3 engine is a walk in the park compared to the E34 M5 engine.....
    there was one in the states in an E36 that i know for sure, the car was a drag car and the engine was twin turbo'd......
    most would say that it's just better to mod the M3 engine..... and maintain the cars handling charectaristics....

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by LexdiamonNYC
    not to mention the added headaches that come with that engine, from what i hear taking care of an E36 M3 engine is a walk in the park compared to the E34 M5 engine.....
    One year ago, when Grassroots Motorsports reviewed all the M cars, past and present, they stated that the E34 M5 engine is the most expensive engine to service when something goes wrong.

I recall that it's not that it's a problematic motor, just that when there are issues, they tend to be quite expensive.

My business partner has an E34 M5, which I've driven quite a bit. At least in the E34 chassis, it's a dog down low, a sweet midrange punch, and a top end to die for. Not sure how it would feel in the e36 chassis, but I'd definitely consider the added weight and handling effects as already noted above.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    88 M3, 90 M3, 91 318is

From what I have read and witnessed:

the S38 (E34 M5 engine) is the single most expensive engine to fix when something goes wrong, followed closely by the early V12, and S14 (E30 M3).

Real M engines are expensive to maintain and fix... the S50 and S52 (US spec) are discluded from this mix.

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    James at Bimmerworld is doing this swap in his E36 convertible. It is NOT an easy conversion, and you need a CUSTOM oil pan.

You would be better off transplanting a V8 or something easier. Or a nice AA turbo...

The S38B38 runs anywhere from $7k-12k for a complete, used unit from intake to exhuast and brain/wiring. The S38B38 is the most expensive, and only available in Europe.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    anyone have web links to those who have done the swap? Also, weight was mentioned; how much heavier is it? someone also mentioned that it was a dog in the low RPM range in the M5, but with this engine in the E36, it can't possibly be worse than the S50/S52 in the E36 chassis?

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    It's a very rare swap, only done by a couple of people. Try Google. I've never run across any webpages detailing the swap, or even any pictures of it done.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing

My Cars
    99 M3(RIP), 97 M3 Se
    hit www.e30.de to see it in E30's.......
    and at AA you might be able to get some info on the twin turbo drag motor, which was for sale not too long ago, i think for $10k

My Cars
    91M5,89M3,94 928GTS,95 Esprit S4s
    turner sells a kit for $1200
    it includes everything you need to put the s38 into a e36 chassis
    including custom oil pan.
    I would just put a euro e36m3 motor in since it will be newer technology wise and a direct fit.Costs is around the same for both motors.
    s38 3.6 has 310 hp and the 3.2 s52 has 321hp
    I have a euro 3.0 m3 motor which has 280hp but more tunable than the 3.2

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Originally posted by mpowernyc
    turner sells a kit for $1200
    it includes everything you need to put the s38 into a e36 chassis
    including custom oil pan.
    I would just put a euro e36m3 motor in since it will be newer technology wise and a direct fit.Costs is around the same for both motors.
    s38 3.6 has 310 hp and the 3.2 s52 has 321hp
    I have a euro 3.0 m3 motor which has 280hp but more tunable than the 3.2
    Hmm, didn't know that Turner sold a kit.

The S38B38 puts out 340BHP and an assload of torque. Sure, no dual VANOS like the S50B32, but the 0.6L differential makes up for a lot. You can tune them to 400+ HP with cams and some massaging, but of course, that is exceptionally expensive. There are 400HP S38B38s running around the US and Europe. NICE.

I am waiting for one from James at bimmerworld so I can stuff it into my 88 M5. Drops right in except for the headers. And the intake is a bit of a challenge, goes where the PS reservior lives...
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I did some research and the S38 is only 30 lbs. heavier than my 3.0 S50 and is one pound lighter than the euro M3 engine. If I can find an S38 at a reasonable price I will transplant one. I don't care if it expensive to fix because if you treat your motor right it won't break in the first place. From what I hear the S38s weren't problematic anyway as long as you remember to get the valves readjusted every so many thousand miles.

My Cars
    86 325es
    With the cost of the s38b38 engine so high you may want to look in to finding an e39 m5 engine they are also more commen

Later,
    Eric
    357 essw ( economy sport super widebody ) built by
    E-Fab Motorsports

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    this looks like a e36 with a nice motor in it