Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat tilt mod done!!!

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i

Seat tilt mod done!!!

O.K. Guys..

The seat tilt mod is done. It was fairly easy..the only hard part is the two back bolt. Whoever put that on..must be mad or something..It took just about all of a 6 pack of beer and a roast beef sandwich out of me to get that loose. But once it is loose then it is a breeze..LOL..Now need to refill on the beer and the sandwich. LOL

I am going to take the M-Roady across the country and see if the 1" seat tilt make any difference for the long trip..

Thanks to all that have gave feed back on the seat mod and the gas milages..

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    I was looking at doing that today too. I was a little confused by the instructions on mz3.com though. What are the exact parts I need? Are the washers necessary? Where did you buy your parts?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    :suscribed:
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I used parts from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ to raise the front about ¾ inch. That doesn’t seem like much but it makes a world of difference (to me anyhow).
    1. Slide seat forward & loosen bolts that hold seat track to floor at rear (13mm hex)
    2. Slide seat back & remove nuts that hold seat track to floor at front (13mm hex)
    3. Lift front of seat slightly coupling nuts 93020A781, M8x1.25 19mm lg on M8 studs on floor.
    4. Set seat on nuts and secure with flange bolts 92820A415 M8x1.25 12mm lg
    5. Slide seat forward & tighten bolts that hold seat track to floor at rear.
    Last edited by autox10; 08-12-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: junk inserted

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    O.K. I got all my parts from Ace hardware...they have everything that I need this time.

1. 4 ea M8X1.25X24mm nut coupler
    2. 4 ea M8X1.25X16 metric bolt
    3. 8 ea M8 flat washer.

The only different from the autoX10 instruction is that the back bolt is 17MM on my M, 13MM on the front..and who-ever put the back bolt on has to be a big big guy or with a big big wrench..It is a B%&^ to get it out plus the angle to get at..But keep trying it will come out. Just need to be a bit strong and keep going at it. But the rest is easy..just left the front up and put a washer on the bottem then the (24MM/1") nut coupler..then I went ahead and use a 16MM bolt with a washer. I just felt better being that it is a bit longer than 12MM like the other folks are using. But don't tighten that front bolt up yet till you get the back bolt started and tighten..The slide the seat back then tighten the front..it is the same on both side..

But the feel is great..I took her out for a drive tonite..did some spirited fast curve and check out the seat if it holds..man...I feel the difference..the car I had owned for 10 yrs..never felt like that before..I like.it..

For what it is worth. This the best mod for a little bit of money..

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Best mod I've done too...a real back saver on longer trips!!
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    It is a great mod, i have taken a 970 mile trip and several 300 milers and felt no back pain. I wonder if the same mod will help my Z4C.... Hmmm.....

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky1Z3 View Post
    It is a great mod, i have taken a 970 mile trip and several 300 milers and felt no back pain. I wonder if the same mod will help my Z4C.... Hmmm.....
    You never know till you take a look and see...If it works out great for you on the Z3 then it is worth it..But didn't the newer beamers..have improve there design and the interior?? I having shop for a car for a long time since I got this M..

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by feturley View Post
    I was looking at doing that today too. I was a little confused by the instructions on mz3.com though. What are the exact parts I need? Are the washers necessary? Where did you buy your parts?

I bought my stuff from Fastenal. My recept just has the part numbers in the description.

4.....washers 8mm fl wash
    2.....couplers 8x1.25DIN6334 Z
    2.....nuts 8mm-1.25x168.8 HCS Z

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk1955 View Post

But the feel is great..I took her out for a drive tonite..did some spirited fast curve and check out the seat if it holds..man...I feel the difference..the car I had owned for 10 yrs..never felt like that before..I like.it..

For what it is worth. This the best mod for a little bit of money..
    Ah yup. Now the seat feels like its a custom seat. I found that once I have a good seating position then raising the seat a bit is great for me on extended drives.
    Last edited by razingkane; 08-13-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    I did it last summer when my wife was preggers. She hated my car until I did it. Afterwards we were able to take a few last-time summertime drives up in the mountains before she hit about the 8 month mark or so. At that point the car was just too low for her to get in and out of.
    protip: If you're reading the post above, it's probably a joke.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by razingkane View Post
    I bought my stuff from Fastenal. My recept just has the part numbers in the description.

4.....washers 8mm fl wash
    2.....couplers 8x1.25DIN6334 Z
    2.....nuts 8mm-1.25x168.8 HCS Z

Ah yup. Now the seat feels like its a custom seat. I found that once I have a good seating position then raising the seat a bit is great for me on extended drives.
    You didn't do the passenger side??

My Cars
    02 996 cab, 08 E350
    LOL--I've been meaning to do this for a couple of years, but didn't look hard enough & couldn't find the right parts. (I was looking under "spacers" at McMaster.) After seeing this thread with the parts numbers kindly set out for us less-intelligent folk, I ordered exactly what was mentioned in the thread. After realizing this would only do one side, I called back and increased the order to four--before I saw this post!

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Yea..you be glad that you do both sides..because your passenger will feel good going for a ride with you...At least my other half like it...

Beside it is not that much more difficult to do the other side while you are at it already...

Quote Originally Posted by brm View Post
    LOL--I've been meaning to do this for a couple of years, but didn't look hard enough & couldn't find the right parts. (I was looking under "spacers" at McMaster.) After seeing this thread with the parts numbers kindly set out for us less-intelligent folk, I ordered exactly what was mentioned in the thread. After realizing this would only do one side, I called back and increased the order to four--before I saw this post!
    Ace Hardware has everything you need...The price is pretty cheap...
    Last edited by skyhawk1955; 08-13-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8 Roady 05 Z71
    Quote Originally Posted by brm View Post
    LOL I did the EXACT same thing. Have only done the drivers seat so far but I have the parts.
    -Visit Detroit, see America's future.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I may try this when I take the seats out for the bushings. I've never found the car uncomfortable but now I'm curious...

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    I may try this when I take the seats out for the bushings. I've never found the car uncomfortable but now I'm curious...
    Jwin..you be surprise how good the seats feel after you done the mod..At least I like it..

There is a Houston Fixit day this Sunday..come on up I am sure that little mod can be fix in no time..

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Jwin..you be surprise how good the seats feel after you done the mod..At least I like it..

There is a Houston Fixit day this Sunday..come on up I am sure that little mod can be fix in no time..
    While the seats are out it's a perfect time to install new seat bushings. No more rocking.......Just be sure to disconect the battery lest you encountor the dreaded SRS dash light.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    There is a Houston Fixit day this Sunday..come on up
    I would but I will be in Pittsburgh.

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    just an FYI, my local autozone did NOT have metric couplers

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Guess I will be heading over to ace hardware this weekend. I can't wait to do this.

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Yeah...I did the passenger seat at the same time as the drivers. 2 sets of everything on 2 different receipts.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Yeah...I did the passenger seat at the same time as the drivers. 2 sets of everything on 2 different receipts.
    HAHa..just messing with you..I figure you would have done both side..just that the receipt shows 2 nut-coupler..that is all..

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Jwin, this is definitely a nice mod. Before I did this it always felt like I was going to slide forward off the seat, and every passenger I had in the car made the same observation.

With the extra tilt in front it settles you back into the lumbar support very nicely and makes for a very solid feel.

I got the spacers from McMaster-Carr. They are about 3/4" (19mm) and are perfect. I think that 1" (24mm) would have been a little too high.

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    Jwin, this is definitely a nice mod. Before I did this it always felt like I was going to slide forward off the seat, and every passenger I had in the car made the same observation.

With the extra tilt in front it settles you back into the lumbar support very nicely and makes for a very solid feel.

I got the spacers from McMaster-Carr. They are about 3/4" (19mm) and are perfect. I think that 1" (24mm) would have been a little too high.

Yeah....like you said the extra tilt back gives great lumbar support. 3/4 seems to be the height most people go for. I tried 3/4 then an 1". I settled on the 1" tilt. The extra 1/4 " tilt made a big difference supporting my thighs.

Anyway you go, this has got to be a top 5 mod and #1 in cost to result......I think it may even add to a perceived performance gain of at least 5 hp.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Yeah....like you said the extra tilt back gives great lumbar support. 3/4 seems to be the height most people go for. I tried 3/4 then an 1". I settled on the 1" tilt. The extra 1/4 " tilt made a big difference supporting my thighs.
    The difference between 3/4" and 1" is probably more a function of your inseam than anything else.

I am 5'8" tall with slightly long arms and a 30" inseam, so I tend to drive with my legs out flatter. Someone that is taller with longer legs probably has more bend at the knees to reach the steering wheel properly so the higher spacers would give them more thigh support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast