Thread: Seatbelt Won't Buckle

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix

Seatbelt Won't Buckle

Hey guys,
    N00b here with a seatbelt question that i can't quickly find an answer to.
    I got a 325ix that has a passenger seatbelt that wont buckle in. It looks like the red release button is recessed and won't clip in. Are there any fixes for this? Can i just replace the seat attached buckle without having to take out the seat, and does anywhere sell just the buckle?

Thanks guys
    -Christian

My Cars
    325i 1990
    Thats an easy one! Just buy a new female seat belt buckle ( the plastic part that receives the metal buckle on the belt) and replace the old one. The seats are not bad at all to take out. Four bolts on all four corners and you're done. Then its just a bolt on the side of the chair that holds the buckle receptor (sorry I really don't have a better word for it).

I tried looking around for one on some online sources but honestly couldn't come up with one. There are plenty of members on here that are parting out cars that would gladly help, heck, I actually have an extra one floating around in my trunk that I could sell ya.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Yeah, I got one for like $15 shipped on ebay. When you are removing the seats, adjust them at the highest setting. Easy-peasy, Germanesey!

My Cars
    88' Shwartz &91' Kashmir
    When I had that same issue with mine a 1.5 yrs ago, I popped it open, readjusted a few of the components within, and glued it up. No one would ever notice I touched it, and its been working perfect ever since.

My Cars
    87 325e e30
    Just spray some WD-40 in it, and insert/remove the buckle a bunch. Basically a part is stuck in there, you gotta free it up. This happened to me a while ago, and that fixed it.

Gophers FTW

My Cars
    1987 325is
    when I bought my car I had to press the red button in before inserting the seat belt. Then all of a sudden it acted up for a day or two and then reverted to normal seat belt operation, ie just insert the belt and go.

So yeah I agree with the above poster that you may be able to monkey with it and some WD-40.

My Cars
    Bmw 2007 x3
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this group. I have a 2007 bmw x3 with a bad female driver side buckle

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwest1206 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this group. I have a 2007 bmw x3 with a bad female driver side buckle

it will be different than the e30. i'd post in the x series forum.

My Cars
    2009 328i X Drive

Use a Catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    it will be different than the e30. i'd post in the x series forum.
    Crud gets into the buckle used most. Drivers side. Remove the casing and saturate with WD 40 and I used a bolt lostener spray Catalyst also. After 30 minutes of trying dont give up! It will work. Be gentle-ISH. YOU CAN FIRCE THE RED DOWN ONLY WHEN the inside mechanism that is the actual bolt that holds your male buckle moves freely and looks like your other females in the car. Think of it this way. They arent expensive to replace. Might as well learn how they work with such a small risk.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i Coupe
    This must be a common issue. The red insert periodically gets sticky on my '89, and usually I could smack it with my hand and it would pop back up. Like other posters once I quit being lazy about a fix I squirted some silicon spray ( I personally think it's a better lubricant than WD40) in and that fixed it.
    1989 BMW 325i Coupe
    1989 Suburban 4x4
    2014 Ram 1500 4x4
    1945 Willys MB Jeep
    1959 Triumph TR3A