Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: My DIS/INPA/SSS/CARSOFT/NAVCODER Interface.

My Cars
    1999 E39
    Buy a pre-modified one from jimmy mate, they work fine!

You don't need ignition detection for INPA or NCS expert, but you need it to code with DIS (v44 only!) and SSS.

My Cars
    08 X3
    Am I right to assume that if you get a 232RL chip all you need to do is solder pin 7 and 8. Then perform the program mod and this should give you real time detection?

No need to add the extra resistor/transistors?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
    Am I right to assume that if you get a 232RL chip all you need to do is solder pin 7 and 8. Then perform the program mod and this should give you real time detection?

No need to add the extra resistor/transistors?
    Nope. The soldering just gets you the extra "K" line. Some modules are on pin 7 and some on pin 8, so that's why you do that. Totally different issue.

Programming mod is fake detection. Force the interface to always say "yes there is voltage here". You absolutely MUST do the hardware mod to get real detection. It has nothing to do w/ which version of the chip you have.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    08 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Nope. The soldering just gets you the extra "K" line. Some modules are on pin 7 and some on pin 8, so that's why you do that. Totally different issue.

Programming mod is fake detection. Force the interface to always say "yes there is voltage here". You absolutely MUST do the hardware mod to get real detection. It has nothing to do w/ which version of the chip you have.
    So can you explain to me the limitation of not having ignition detection (so not doing the mod)?

I am unclear is this needed for all the programs to work? If not, well what exactly is it used for?

My Cars

INPA ignition off

Just made the mods on VAG KKL cabel (using the manulas from locum) and when the cable is plugged in USB the battery is ON but ignition is OFF.
    Any idea what is wrong?

My Cars
    08 X3
    Does it need to be a BC546?

Can it be like a N2222?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by swordfish767 View Post
    Just made the mods on VAG KKL cabel (using the manulas from locum) and when the cable is plugged in USB the battery is ON but ignition is OFF.
    Any idea what is wrong?
    I'm assuming you actually plugged it into the car and turned the ignition on ?

Can it be like a N2222?
    Yes.
    Just about any NPN transistor will work.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 12-20-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    08 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post

Yes.
    Just about any NPN transistor will work.

Thanks dude! Should have a 10k resistor kicking around some where's too

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Thanks dude! Should have a 10k resistor kicking around some where's too
    Just double check the leg orientation of YOUR transistor before installing, not all are the same. Referring to the B (base), C (collector), and E (emitter) orientation. Do not just go by "pictures" of someone else installation.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Just double check the leg orientation of YOUR transistor before installing, not all are the same. Referring to the B (base), C (collector), and E (emitter) orientation. Do not just go by "pictures" of someone else installation.
    Excellent point. Always grab the datasheet to confirm unless it's a plug-and-play exact replacement part number.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    bmw m3 clone
    I have a 2006 750 LI and although i've read through pages and pages of this post and many others, I'm not so sure I understand which cable or cables I will need.

I already have the software.

INPA and?

Thanks in advance

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ediabas-INPA...ht_5207wt_1396

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...ht_3181wt_1396

or are these the same? Ahh!
    Last edited by kcaz007; 01-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 530D E60
    You DO have to modify your interface in order for it to work....period.

One other thing I did want to note though...... as you can see my transistor is "upside down". I noticed a bit of confusion on this in this thread somewhere. Any small NPN can be used for this mod, but I would highly recommend you looking up the datasheet on the exact one you plan to use to know what the pinout is. (base, collector, emitter) TO-92 is a package (shape) designation, it has nothing to do with whether the pins are EBC or BCE, etc, etc. So if you lay a transistor flat side down on a table, one transistor could be pinned one way and another pinned totally opposite.
    I looked up a few for ya that I had seen mentioned so far and a couple other common ones.
    This is looking at the transistor flat side down, legs pointing towards you:
    NTE123AP CBE (which is what I used)
    2N3904 CBE
    BC546 ECB
    BC547 ECB
    PN2222A CBE

Anyway...... I'm new to BMW's, but I've dabbled a bit into everything. Hope to share something useful, since this is where I started my interface adventure.
    Totally agree.
    Kevin, just to let your post #143 completely clear, I think you should put BC546 & BC547 EBC not ECB
    Last edited by PDPR; 01-13-2012 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by PDPR View Post
    Kevin, just to let your post #143 completely clear, I think you should put BC546 & BC547 EBC not ECB
    Good catch. I fixed the original post.
    See how easy it is to flip flop them transistor legs around.

My Cars
    BMW 530D E60
    , BTW, I forgot to give you THANKS for that clarifying post.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI
    Does anyone know if the Galetto 1260 cable works with dis/inpa/sss? Thanks

My Cars
    ZJ
    Hope somebody can lend a hand.

I have this cable:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/OBDII_FTDI/ES6928/

Which I confirmed is an FT232RL, read it on the chip. I've soldered 7&8. I've got my drivers installed, the cable shows up as a com port. I have it set up as com1. I used M.Prog to set all the parameters to what is shown in the first post.

No black dots in INPA.

What am I missing? I've reinstalled ediabas/inpa/ncs clean from scratch, I've checked my ini files. I'm not seeing what I'm missing.

Any help is very appreciated!

edit: for clarity, my intended use is NCS Expert. Don't care about DIS, so from what I understand I should be ok with the "tricked" battery/ignition.
    Last edited by paulkeith; 02-03-2012 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    08 X3
    What if your cable does not come with the FT232RL or BM or L chip. Is this still possible?

Can this still be made possible by just using the correct pins on the chip I have? I looked at the pinout for it and it has the same pins they are just different numbers (obviously).

Chip in question is a CH340T
    Last edited by freebo86; 02-06-2012 at 09:55 AM.

My Cars
    See signature
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkeith View Post
    Hope somebody can lend a hand.

I have this cable:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/OBDII_FTDI/ES6928/

Which I confirmed is an FT232RL, read it on the chip. I've soldered 7&8. I've got my drivers installed, the cable shows up as a com port. I have it set up as com1. I used M.Prog to set all the parameters to what is shown in the first post.

No black dots in INPA.

What am I missing? I've reinstalled ediabas/inpa/ncs clean from scratch, I've checked my ini files. I'm not seeing what I'm missing.

Any help is very appreciated!

edit: for clarity, my intended use is NCS Expert. Don't care about DIS, so from what I understand I should be ok with the "tricked" battery/ignition.
    I think this depends a lot on what car you have, so if you let people know you they might be able to help.

What if your cable does not come with the FT232RL or BM or L chip. Is this still possible?

Can this still be made possible by just using the correct pins on the chip I have? I looked at the pinout for it and it has the same pins they are just different numbers (obviously).

Chip in question is a CH340T
    No reason it shouldn't (or should), but if the chip functions essentially the same way, there's a good chance you can do the same mod and get it to work. Might as well try it; it's not too complicated and doesn't take long. If it works, you can post about it to help out others with that chip (I think someone asked about it before as well).
    Last edited by ac4000; 02-16-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    1991 MR2 NA | 1988 M5 | 2000 740i Sport | 2004 M3 |
    2009 SMART | 2006 S2000 | 2005 120i | 2006 S500

My Cars
    See signature

two circuit version

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to get true and separate battery and ignition detect, you need another circuit in addition to the circuit mentioned in earlier posts. The reason is that the FL232B* VAG-COM cables send ignition TRUE when DSR is grounded and battery TRUE when RI is grounded. (The alternative, as shown in most mods, is to permanently ground RI, but then battery always shows on.)

I tested this by adding a circuit from pin 16 on the OBDII as follows:

The result is the INPA battery detect circle comes on when the connector is attached to the car and, presumably, the ignition circle comes on when the ignition is switched on (can't test that last bit since my battery is under 10V at the moment and the charger won't get here until tomorrow).

This is with this OBDII-USB cable and this 20-pin-to-16-pin adapter on a 2000 MY E38.

I have no idea why you may want or need to have these detection functions work separately, but I like the extra confirmation that the cable is attached to the car and the USB-serial driver is operating correctly before turning on the ignition.
    1991 MR2 NA | 1988 M5 | 2000 740i Sport | 2004 M3 |
    2009 SMART | 2006 S2000 | 2005 120i | 2006 S500

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Hello everybody.

First off some background to my question. I have an e36 328i which was manufactured in my country, South Africa. It is an OBDII car, as far as I know all cars post '96 are, but it only has the 20-pin under-bonnet connection. This is due to the fact that at the time it wasn't law in SA for cars to have the 16-pin OBDII dash port, so BMW didn't include it. Now, I have checked using a volt meter and pin 15 has a 12v reading, so I need to use the ADS protocol.

I need to get into my ABS/ASC computer (the brakes are locking and no light shows on the dash for a fault) so I got hold of CarSoft 6.5 to try and diagnose the fault. Now my problem is that CarSoft obviously isn't talking to the L-line since that is where the ABS computer is accessed. So I've been looking for other solutions and came across this thread for INPA.

To my question: I want to know if I can use my 20-pin OBD - RS232 cable which came with my CarSoft package for the INPA program. I could always just install INPA, set it to ADS and plug the cable in, but I'd rather not do that before I know if that will potentially damage anything. Please any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lysis; 02-20-2012 at 08:23 AM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    You can try..but its very quirky at best. Must fire off Carsoft first to initialize the cable/computer protocol. Then Launch INPA and hope it assumes the connection. It might take a few tries....(10-20) to get the sequence right.

Hence...just get a real ADS cable and save your self some headache.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Thanks Iceman. Looks like I am going to have to get a real ADS cable. However, since it will take a while to obtain one, I couldn't resist having a fiddle with my Carsoft cable. I have managed to get INPA to work through the Carsoft cable and I can access the DME. When I try to access the ABS/ASC it gives me a SYS-0012 Identification error. Any idea what this means and how I can fix it 9assuming that the fix is not just getting an ADS cable)?
    Last edited by Lysis; 02-21-2012 at 11:04 AM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Any possibility of making this cable work with any version of PA Soft BMW scanner?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    @Lysis - the abs module is one you will not be able to access directly without the ads interface.
    You "might" be able to pull a few codes from it by running the quick error test. (worked on our 95' using INPA v3.01)

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Thanks for the help guys. While I wait for a proper cable, I've managed to access my ABS computer through carsoft. I did this by switching around the wires on pin 20 and 15 in the 20-pin cable, this was done at the expense of being able to read the DME, until I switch them back. I ran a test of the ABS module and it gives me the following errors:

49 Spannungsversorgung aller Ventilen
    50 Drosselklappensteller mekanisch defekt

I gather the first is something to do with the actual brake calipers and the second has something to do with the throttle body, but I got the translations off Google and they aren't very helpful in diagnosing the ABS issue. Any insight into this? I have tried searching for the carsoft fault codes, but haven't had any luck.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast