Thread: E23 Swap choices?

My Cars
    86 El Camino

E23 Swap choices?

Hey guys, I have been looking into getting an e23 Bimmer, and I was just wondering what kind of engine conversions people have done? Or if anyone has built the stock engine/turbo'd it?

Thanks, Bramon
    Last edited by bramon; 08-08-2010 at 06:43 PM.

My Cars
    E31
    Why do you wanna swap?

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulTaker View Post
    Why do you wanna swap?
    Just want a little more "giddyup" not that I NEED it, just want to know
    what's possible/been done for later on down the road when I am in college (I'm going for an engineering degree, so I would
    be able to do most of the work myself) and a couple of my friends are BMW mechanics/wiring guru's.

So in short, just because I kind of want a better power:weight ratio, but want to keep the feel of a 7 series BMW

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by bramon View Post
    Just want a little more "giddyup" not that I NEED it, just want to know
    what's possible/been done for later on down the road when I am in college (I'm going for an engineering degree, so I would
    be able to do most of the work myself) and a couple of my friends are BMW mechanics/wiring guru's.

So in short, just because I kind of want a better power:weight ratio, but want to keep the feel of a 7 series BMW
    I miss my familys old e23 and honestly use to wish it was 745i which never made it to the states but was m30 twin turbo if i remember correctly right out of the factory. Even though they exist they are extremely rare in the states. Imagine a euro style e23 with the "big six" turbo mated to a 5 speed tranny.

Anyway in your position i would probably build and boost the stock US version m30 which would put out some great numbers and would be a cool sleeper in a e23.

If your set on swapping though im sure anything could be retro fitted into the engine bay with the right amount of money and time invested. With all the current e36/ls1 swaps going on right now im sure a e23 could do the same. But it really depends on what you want, your budget, and how much power you want.

Fyi a m30 turbo could easily put you in the 400+whp reliably with the right set up

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    Quote Originally Posted by BigC986 View Post
    I miss my familys old e23 and honestly use to wish it was 745i which never made it to the states but was m30 twin turbo if i remember correctly right out of the factory. Even though they exist they are extremely rare in the states. Imagine a euro style e23 with the "big six" turbo mated to a 5 speed tranny.

Anyway in your position i would probably build and boost the stock US version m30 which would put out some great numbers and would be a cool sleeper in a e23.

If your set on swapping though im sure anything could be retro fitted into the engine bay with the right amount of money and time invested. With all the current e36/ls1 swaps going on right now im sure a e23 could do the same. But it really depends on what you want, your budget, and how much power you want.

Fyi a m30 turbo could easily put you in the 400+whp reliably with the right set up
    Ok sweet, I was thinking about doing the same thing as I did with my Elky, I started wrenching on it when I was about 13 and just slowly built it into what it is now, which is a fully built 383.

My Cars
    E31
    M30B35 w/ 5-speed?

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    M30B35 w/ 5-speed?
    B34 IIRC... I'm not 100% though but I think so...

My Cars
    E31
    What do you mean?

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    I think it's an M30B34, or am I totally off? Idk I'm doubting myself now... I looked it up I guess it's an M30B32? That sound right?
    Last edited by bramon; 08-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    What do you mean?
    Yes the m30's came with 5-speeds. There are e23 735s,e28/e34 535s and e24 635s variants that came with manual transmission. Research would prove it.

Anyway el caminos are sick considering how light they are and with a 383 stroker i could only imagine how often you need a new rear set of tires

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    I would consider M60B40
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    Yes the m30's came with 5-speeds. There are e23 735s,e28/e34 535s and e24 635s variants that came with manual transmission. Research would prove it.

Anyway el caminos are sick considering how light they are and with a 383 stroker i could only imagine how often you need a new rear set of tires
    Correct it is a 5-speed.

But yeah I try not to think about how much money I spend on tires alone... But I haven't driven it in about a month, my head gasket got ripped so I'm going to go with a metal gasket I just haven't gotten around to changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by B10 BITURBO View Post
    I would consider M60B40
    Any reasons for this?
    Last edited by bramon; 08-08-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Correct it is a 5-speed.

But yeah I try not to think about how much money I spend on tires alone... But I haven't driven it in about a month, my head gasket got ripped so I'm going to go with a metal gasket I just haven't gotten around to changing it.

Any reasons for this?
    Ya i wish i was lucky enough to have my current car or even your 383 powered el camino, but then again id probably be dead right now considering how irresponsible and wreckless i use to drove.

As for the m60 swap, the only reason i could see for doing it would be because its a v-8? Also i believe in 1995 only the e34 540's came with an optional 5 or 6 speed transmission which made a pretty cool car. Im sure that set-up in a e23 would be just as quick if not quicker since im sure the weight of both vehicles are close to being the same.

At the same time, with the money it would take to swap that engine into a e23, im sure you could have a nice custom turbo set-up with the m30 which would make alot more power.

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    Ya i wish i was lucky enough to have my current car or even your 383 powered el camino, but then again id probably be dead right now considering how irresponsible and wreckless i use to drove.

As for the m60 swap, the only reason i could see for doing it would be because its a v-8? Also i believe in 1995 only the e34 540's came with an optional 5 or 6 speed transmission which made a pretty cool car. Im sure that set-up in a e23 would be just as quick if not quicker since im sure the weight of both vehicles are close to being the same.

At the same time, with the money it would take to swap that engine into a e23, im sure you could have a nice custom turbo set-up with the m30 which would make alot more power.
    I love it, but at the same time I just keep spending more and more money on it.

As for the M60 I was reading up on the availability of turboing or supercharging it and it seems like they don't take well to that? Correct me if I'm wrong. And just because it's a V8 isn't going to sway me I may love that roar but I love a good turbo too.

I was wondering about S52/54 or an S62? Has anyone ever done any of those into an e23?

Or an S38?
    Last edited by bramon; 08-08-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO

I was wondering about S52/54 or an S62? Has anyone ever done any of those into an e23?

Or an S38?

S62 is a v8 swapp and actually like the same as M60 ,, but more electric gizmoes with wiring

A friend of mine have S38 in his E23,,

And the whole thread..... but Icelandic lyric
    http://bmwkraftur.is/spjall/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28895
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    86 El Camino
    That's such an amazing looking car... Yeah it seems like either turbo or an 'S' motor is the way I'm going to go... But I'm still open to ideas. hmmm... I've always loved the S62... I was thinking about putting one in an e30 but that is wayyyy expensive.

My Cars
    94 530it
    I have a 84 e23 745i that i just purchased from an auction to part out. Once I got the car i couldn't part it out. It is such a solid car that runs and drives well. It even has a complete tool kit, sealed first aid kit and triangle. I am probably a few weeks from having it ready to sell. Let me know if your are interested.

My Cars
    1984 733i

Looking to buy

Quote Originally Posted by CC Detail View Post
    I have a 84 e23 745i that i just purchased from an auction to part out. Once I got the car i couldn't part it out. It is such a solid car that runs and drives well. It even has a complete tool kit, sealed first aid kit and triangle. I am probably a few weeks from having it ready to sell. Let me know if your are interested.
    Have you been able to part out the car at all? I could take them off your hands