Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: DICE or GROM for iPod? Need to Decide, save my sanity

My Cars
    2000 X5 4.4i

Exclamation DICE or GROM for iPod? Need to Decide, save my sanity

Hi Guys,

I've spent about 5 days absolutely obsessing about whether to install the DICE Silverline Pro or the GROM AUX into my 2000 X5 with DSP.
    I've been working with the amazing guys from BSW but I just can't make up my mind. Aside from the price (comes out almost the same w. adapters), here are the factors I need to consider:

- 90% of my driving is 10 mins. or less. 99% of that is ONE playlist ("Driving Music")
    - I'm using a tape adapter and just want higher audio quality
    - I'm used to/enjoy using the iPod to control music...having song names on the screen and controlling it with my steering wheel isn't as important to me.
    - I've read a LOT of negative reviews of the Dice. I know you always hear the negative and rarely the positive on the forums, but the negative I have heard sounds like it would drive me crazy.
    - I'm talking about problems like difficulty scrolling, static, clicking sounds, etc.
    - The DICE sounds great when it works. The GROM sounds simple, fool proof and straight forward. No scrolling text, no steering wheel. LESS to go wrong or make problems.

- There's a good chance I'll be selling my X5 in a year as I might be moving.

I'm a college student who got the X5 with sheer good luck for a great price. $300 for either system + DSP adapter is a BIG investment for me.

Can you succinctly give me your opinion? Sway me?

Thank you for your help, I've spent at least 30 hours this past week researching this. It's a problem.

Thanks to BSW for bearing with me (Halston's the man).

My Cars
    Jeep Wrangler
    I don't have any experience with either of them but it sounds to me like you have your mind made up and you're looking for some reassurance. To me it sounds like a no brainer, the DICE has tons of negative reviews...it works great IF it works. That alone would sway me to the GROM. Especially if you're a college student...you have enough on your plate, let alone spending time trying to figure out why your ipod adapter doesn't work.

To me it's a simple answer...the one that you haven't read the negative reviews on.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Thanks for the kind words!

As said sounds like GROM is going to be the better fit

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    The GROM USB unit has been awesome since I got the proper firmware installed and compatible USB stick. Not sure if the GROM works with DSP though.

I must say I'm as happy as a fat pig rolling in fresh poo.
    Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 08-13-2010 at 03:12 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    The GROM USB unit has been awesome since I got the proper firmware installed and compatible USB stick. Not sure if the GROM works with DSP though.

I must say I'm as happy as a fat pig rolling in fresh poo.
    I would really appreciate a definitive answer to this question. Does GROM play uncompressed WAV files from USB stick?
    Thank you.

My Cars
    1992 318is Coupe
    I've heard some not so great things about the Grom USB units, but I've heard nothing but good reviews on the simple aux input interface [for use with CD43].

This one: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...m-aux-bmw.html

I'm trying to get more difinitive answers before I make my final selection but it looks like it will be the aux unit.

My Cars
    2004 BMW x5

Smile Grom Audio

I fitted the Grom Audio to my X5 - I have the DSP system

Great fit, once up and running, Choose option for CD changer - blue tooth streaming for audio, hands free for telephone and google maps works like a charm.

Well, worth it. Had some drama, got the grom unit from local supplier in Australia, but did not realise I had the DSP system, according to the Bently Manual, DSP is limited edition, has a subwoofer in the boot, yeah, finally found that. Had to buy supplimentary kit from GROM USA as I did not have the CD changer fitted.

Best ever now, great sound and as I said before, totally hands free

- - - Updated - - -

Bit of a Challange to fit the Grom unit, previous post, I have the DSP system, so had to get extra kit, but its worked perfectly for over a month now. Initially had to power the Grom down once or twice to get the pairing with my iphone sorted, which is a challange as I had to do the boot/trunk mount with the grom.

Totally handsfree, phone works, google maps works, microphone mounted next to the steering wheel on the side of the centre consol, so guys I call actually comment on how good the phone sound is on their side, they cant hear any wind or traffic noise from the mike