Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone make angel eyes work with US E36 lights?

My Cars
    E36

anyone make angel eyes work with US E36 lights?

Kind of a DIY in below posts

So why can't you?

Are they entirely one piece housings? or just two pieced glued together - in which you might be able to split them?

I'm asking because I've heard you can't, but haven't found a good reason why not yet.

(Goal here is to test AE's for a while and see if I like them before getting ZKW's or DJ's)

Thanks!

-double post-

well, I'm doing it.

post progress later. Just got done making one light into a 2 piece light

...might be a waste, but either way it's forward progress.
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 01-24-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    So why can't you?

Are they entirely one piece housings? or just two pieced glued together - in which you might be able to split them?

I'm asking because I've heard you can't, but haven't found a good reason why not yet.

(Goal here is to test AE's for a while and see if I like them before getting ZKW's or DJ's)

Thanks!

-double post-

well, I'm doing it.

post progress later. Just got done making one light into a 2 piece light

...might be a waste, but either way it's forward progress.
    Two peice glued together. You'd have to bake the lights to pry them apart, breaking the seal and then find a way to re-bake and re-seal them. Most Angel eyes will need to be glued on, which may fail or melt on you over time as Halogen lights usually run hotter than HIDs found in aftermarket euro/glass housings.

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is
    waste of time...

Sell Me Your e30!!

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    OP you will waste your time.
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    E36
    got the lenses apart, still gonna give it a shot. If for no other reason, i'm bored right now. Get done with work at 4pm, and don't have anything else to do, lol.

-update-

k, so although this is a waste of time. It cost $30 for CCFL rings via Ebay (bought in chicago, I only buy from the states). And an additional 10bucks for a tube of Adhesive sealant.

-first, because the lights are all plastic, and baking doesn't seem to work with these, I actually cut the lenses off the housings using an airgrinder (with meaty cutting disk).
    You have to be good or else you'll cut too much or clip the glass of the inner housing.

-my cuts weren't perfect, but pretty good. I cleaned up all the edges with a sanding drum.

-next, ordered my AE's, pretty cheap on ebay.

-Installed AE's using a couple pieces of provided double sided sticky tape and also used some silicone based sealant/adhesive (good up till 400F).

-next is the fun part. Had to layout adhesive where the lens will sit. If you do it right, you'll have a good ledge for this, but if you cut too deep, you won't. I used the silicone adhesive in a caulk gun to apply this.

-put pieces back together, kept them clamped for a couple hours. Adhesive says 1 hr till tacky, 24hrs till 'dry.'

-Wire up the AE's, I used my fog light wiring because I am running a fog light delete/air intake duct. I like the ability to turn the AE's on/off when I want. Sill need corners on however (I know lots of ppl like to run AE's only).

Finished results. Not too bad for $40 and I had a lot of fun doing it! I would not call this good, just 'not bad.'
    I'm still going to be looking for some HID glass lights, and probably transfer these rings to those housings, but for the time being I'm happy I get to play around with the angel eyes

Thanks for the read!

pics with the lenses cut off

wiring/some other pics. (recently sold them)

(I need a new nose panel...) but here they are instaled

And now to the good stuff: (didn't want to keep them on too long while the adhesive hardens)

They don't look at all fuzzy like this in person...think my camera specs were off a bit

Last edited by Moron95M3; 01-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    ^^Perfect example of why "wasting your time" isn't a waste of time. I love the outcome bro, love it. They may not be "euro spec" or even knock offs but you know what? I can appreciate self-customization way more than buying everything.

Built, not Bought.

Great work man!

Now hit that bumper with some bug-off and rubbing compound lol.
    Last edited by LockDots; 08-10-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    I'm a huge fan of built not bought, and live by that. However, even though you seem to have pulled if off fairly well, your efforts would have been put to better use doing a retrofit into some glass housings. AE's aren't my cup of tea, but props to you for jumping outside the box.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Do you have a hi-res pic of this one? Would like to edit it for a wallpaper
    Last edited by LockDots; 08-10-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36
    high res
    1995 M3

My Cars
    95m3, 95 325-m52 &97 328
    you sir are the man for just doing what you want to do. Even though they may be in the halogen projectors they still look great. upgrade to the depo/dj auto headlights ASAP
    Daytona Violet M3
    2005 X5 3.0i ​ - Daily
    It asks you what happens now?
    I say it to you
    Time to say goodbye ..
    The body was scrapped ... - bmwmauro

My Cars
    1996 318IS
    To bad you didn't have pictures for the DIY. Looks good tho, how long did it take?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by EurOnly View Post
    To bad you didn't have pictures for the DIY. Looks good tho, how long did it take?

I'll add some...I some with the lights cut apart. not good ones though :/

It's pretty self explanatory I think?
    1995 M3

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    got the lenses apart, still gonna give it a shot. If for no other reason, i'm bored right now. Get done with work at 4pm, and don't have anything else to do, lol.

-update-

k, so although this is a waste of time. It cost $30 for CCFL rings via Ebay (bought in chicago, I only buy from the states). And an additional 10bucks for a tube of Adhesive sealant.

-first, because the lights are all plastic, and baking doesn't seem to work with these, I actually cut the lenses off the housings using an airgrinder (with meaty cutting disk).
    You have to be good or else you'll cut too much or clip the glass of the inner housing.

-my cuts weren't perfect, but pretty good. I cleaned up all the edges with a sanding drum.

-next, ordered my AE's, pretty cheap on ebay.

-Installed AE's using a couple pieces of provided double sided sticky tape and also used some silicone based sealant/adhesive (good up till 400F).

-next is the fun part. Had to layout adhesive where the lens will sit. If you do it right, you'll have a good ledge for this, but if you cut too deep, you won't. I used the silicone adhesive in a caulk gun to apply this.

-put pieces back together, kept them clamped for a couple hours. Adhesive says 1 hr till tacky, 24hrs till 'dry.'

-Wire up the AE's, I used my fog light wiring because I am running a fog light delete/air intake duct. I like the ability to turn the AE's on/off when I want. Sill need corners on however (I know lots of ppl like to run AE's only).

Finished results. Not too bad for $40 and I had a lot of fun doing it! I would not call this good, just 'not bad.'
    I'm still going to be looking for some HID glass lights, and probably transfer these rings to those housings, but for the time being I'm happy I get to play around with the angel eyes

Thanks for the read!

pics with the lenses cut off

wiring/some other pics. (recently sold them)

(I need a new nose panel...) but here they are instaled

And now to the good stuff: (didn't want to keep them on too long while the adhesive hardens)

They don't look at all fuzzy like this in person...think my camera specs were off a bit

thats the same cheap set i bought and they work great, mine are going in e46 though...

just make sure you keep the power converter thing dry, there is a wire hole in one end that needs to be sealed some how.

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    The wires dont interfere with the lens ??? WTF

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by riderke16 View Post
    The wires dont interfere with the lens ??? WTF
    enough sealant to allow them to be fine.

I would do it differently if I did it again.

And WTF to counter your somewhat useless 'WTF'
    1995 M3

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    Haha thanks? How would you do it differently ??

My Cars
    E36
    would try to figure out a way to run the wires in a way that isn't as ugly.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    oh ...you could have ran them down instead of over the top.?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Good work man. Goes to show that if you have not personally done something you should not criticize. Some just wind up looking dumb in the end.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Looks Good! If you splice the angel eyes into the parking lights does it set off the CCM?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by leweasel View Post
    Looks Good! If you splice the angel eyes into the parking lights does it set off the CCM?
    thanks! And no it does not.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    So this is kinda off topic, and your gonna hate me for this question. But, can you replace pre-facelifted grills with, facelifted grills?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohjoxu View Post
    So this is kinda off topic, and your gonna hate me for this question. But, can you replace pre-facelifted grills with, facelifted grills?
    lol this is off topic.

but they are different nose panels...so I think the answer is 'no'. Search the regular E36 forum.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is
    lol this is off topic.

but they are different nose panels...so I think the answer is 'no'. Search the regular E36 forum.

Yea sorry about that lol Its something I've always wanted to do with mine.

Also, I want to do what you did here. I want multicolor changing eyes. Its a bit more than buying the Euro's itself. So why not use that money to get multicolor, and doing what you did to put them in :3

Definitely would like to try. I'll be studying this thread religiously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast