Thread: New to BMW's looking to build turbo E36

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS

New to BMW's looking to build turbo E36

Hey guys, I'm new to this board and the BMW world, but I'm no stranger to tuning or turbo installs. I am looking to buy my neighbour's 1997 328is, and transform it into a street car that I can bring to the track on weekends. I would be shooting for 300-350 rwhp, nothing too crazy. I have searched the threads and a little bit on the net and am having some trouble finding turbo kits available for reasonable cost. Like I said I'm new to BMW. Does anyone know of a kit available for low-med boost applications? And also, I was curious about what engine management systems are popular for the OBDII BMW's, I have alot of experience with Megasquirts, COBB tuners, and a few piggy-back systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSSM View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to this board and the BMW world, but I'm no stranger to tuning or turbo installs. I am looking to buy my neighbour's 1997 328is, and transform it into a street car that I can bring to the track on weekends. I would be shooting for 300-350 rwhp, nothing too crazy. I have searched the threads and a little bit on the net and am having some trouble finding turbo kits available for reasonable cost. Like I said I'm new to BMW. Does anyone know of a kit available for low-med boost applications? And also, I was curious about what engine management systems are popular for the OBDII BMW's, I have alot of experience with Megasquirts, COBB tuners, and a few piggy-back systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

The only kit I would recommend for your application is NickG's kit from Technique Tuning. It come's with stock ECU tuning and is the only way your life won't be hell.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm kind of partial to tuning the car myself... I have access to a mustang dyno, and plan on pushing the boost up as time goes on, so I don't want to pay for a tune that will soon be useless to me. That kit is pretty steep, I'm sure its great, but I enjoy fabrication and whatnot so I don't necessarily need a complete kit. I've been trolling the forum for used kits, and I've seen some decent set-ups, so that may be a good route.

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Get a tec 3r to tune yourself. You can get one for $1600 right now from BMWmaniac. Full P&P stand alone. There are many used kits up for sale on the FS forum that are a great deal as well.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1998 528i-t, & Jap Stuff
    I second the TT kit. The factory ECU really is great. You can make the car run fine on megasquirt if you want to go that route, TEC3, AEM, Motec, Pectel, etc. have all been used as well with success.

But for what you listed as goals the factory ECU is the best option and NickG is really the best OBD-II tuner out there (no software options for end users).
    13.239 @ 105.67 with .000 R/T and 1.93 - 60' - 2007 350z - SOLD
    Slow in turbo 528i thanks to a poor driver and lots of heat soak (I couldn't figure out how to drive a pucked clutch off the line to save my life).

LM7 swap in progress/paused pending garage remodel.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1660651

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Sorry I must be missing something here - you enjoy tuning and fabricating and you're looking for a turbo kit? If the former is true, then pick the right components, including a standalone, and start building/tuning. The whole point of a kit is that it's for people who DON'T want to fabricate or tune, but turn wrenches and be done (it never works out that way but the kits try to come as close as possible).

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    With the stock ECU the boost can be turned up and down without a retune. I don't think most people understand this. Hell I have a different boost level for each gear and even change those all the time. Also your power goals are WAY below what the stock ECU can handle.
    ICS Stage 1 NickG tune, 60lb Injectors, Blow through MAF, Synapse BOV, Boostlogic Manifold, BW-S366, Full 4" exhaust, Built Block w/ Wiseco's and K1 Rods = Good Times

My Cars
    Turbo ///M Roadster
    Nick G tuned FTW! For the power levels you're looking for there's no reason I'd be fabricating anything more than possibly an exhaust and hell, I'm a fabricator saying this. haha Nick's shit really is THAT good!

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel
    I will have to chip in with do a search on the following before you buy any kit:

1. Reliability: idle, using A/C, altitude/temp changes, etc...
    2. Power goal: Most of the kits out there will deliver good numbers HP, but it all goes back to what kind of track events are you going to do! Road course Vs. drag strip, drag strip Vs. drifting...
    3. Under the frame Vs. over the frame charge pipes
    4. Blow-Through Vs. Draw-Through...

The Racer's Market
    (TRM) has tested the stage 1 & 2 in the road course, and "I" personally have done lots of drifting and drag racing with my personal car (TRM stg.2 w/built engine). you can see the videos in my signature.

Good luck with this endeavor, and I hope you find what suits your budget/application.

Rafa
    BMW-PC F80 M3 HotLapFormula 1000 Video │ 3 Time NASA-SE GTS2 Champ │ TRM Stg.2, Coilovers & Tuning │ Racing Videos[/CENTER]

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    True. TRM does not sell obd2....
    ICS Stage 1 NickG tune, 60lb Injectors, Blow through MAF, Synapse BOV, Boostlogic Manifold, BW-S366, Full 4" exhaust, Built Block w/ Wiseco's and K1 Rods = Good Times

TRM is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Fast ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by e36ALPINE View Post
    True. TRM does not sell obd2....
    We do offer OBD2 solutions. Contact us at info@racersmarket.net or give us a call for more information.

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    We do offer OBD2 solutions. Contact us at info@racersmarket.net or give us a call for more information.
    Really?? Details for all???

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by e36ALPINE View Post
    Really?? Details for all???
    There is even a build thread with TRM OBDII tune. Guy in NC.
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was mainly looking for a kit just to have the manifold, intercooler, piping etc. But looking further into it I'm most likely gonna source all the parts on my own and run a megasquirt or something similiar. I've tuned with the Tec 3 and was really dissappointed with the functions offered to make map changes etc. So I'm going to try to avoid that route.

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Then check out the FS forum. there are many decent partial setups available right now. Mike R has aem P&P available as well.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS
    Quote Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
    Nick G tuned FTW! For the power levels you're looking for there's no reason I'd be fabricating anything more than possibly an exhaust and hell, I'm a fabricator saying this. haha Nick's shit really is THAT good!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this car has 192 flywheel hp from the factory, and at 18% loss through the drivetrain, thats about 157 rwhp so I highly doubt an exhaust system will get me anywhere near 300 rwhp. I don't think I'm being unrealistic, running 8-10lbs of boost through a small turbo will suffice for what I'm looking for. I have a 60 mile round trip commute and I plan on running the car at a local roadcourse on weekends. I think it'll be a great set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Then check out the FS forum. there are many decent partial setups available right now. Mike R has aem P&P available as well.
    Will do, thanks.
    Last edited by MattSSM; 08-03-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    I think he meant fabricating the exhaust as in giving you advice to buy off the shelf stuff to make everything easy and headache free and just have to custom fab the turbo back exhaust...

and for your power goal and intended us of your car you can't look at anything else other than obd2 tuning.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    08 B6 TSI6, Caged MX5
    If you really want to modify the wiring and go through the efforts of installing a standalone, cheers. AEM has proven success, with plug&play's available, Electromotive's Tec 3, DTA, Megasquirt... it all depends on the complexity you are comfortable tuning and the control you wish to have of the vehicle and its accessories primarily. If you wish to have majority control with relatively simpler install, I would say go AEM PNP. If you are happy with spark/map/fuel and hacking through then Megasquirt should do fine.

On the other hand, you do have the stock ECU which can be tuned to handle various load, control accessories, adjust to conditions automatically (it's really nice to start the car in 0* or 115*) or gas (dirty 91 or 93 octane stock ecu can react and retard accordingly in a surprisingly quick fashion, on other tunes figuring out how to fine tune knock detection can be timely).

Crank it on the dyno and let's see what it rolls!!
    Joseph

Dealer for: TC Kline, Aquamist, AEM, Haltech, KW Suspensions, and more! PM me if interested.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328IS
    Thanks guys, I'll have to look into the AEM unit a little more. My only problem with OBDII tuning is that (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't recognize manifold pressure, and you are tuning based on calculated load or air flow rate which in the past I've found to be rediculously tedious. And I haven't found much in the way of OBDII tuning software for these cars, so I don't want to buy a tune from someone because I know myself and I can never let a car be haha, so I'm sure I'll be making changes throughout the cars life.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    There is no tuning software available short of disassemblers and learning the code yourself for OBD2 BMWs (as far as I know)...

It's hard to beat the adaptation of the stock DME...with it's myriad maps and modifiers and such (once watched Jim C dig through the hex...WOW), but then again, if you want to tweak and mod and do your own 'kit'..etc...standalone is the best way.

F/I BMW world is a lot different than other cars as far as "accessibility" is concerned. You have come to the right place for knowledge...and with your stated goals I think stock DME tuning is best. However, you also say you want to "push" the car in the future...and in that case a standalone is probably your best bet.

A few of us (myself included) are pretty new at this BMW F/I game, but there are a TON of people on here with many years of standalone tuning experience.
    Last edited by sirzepp; 08-04-2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Jimmy
    Technique Tuning Stage 2 on 9:1 built motor(SOLD)
    Boost Addiction Support Group Member
    Official "My Wife is Awesome" Club Member
    Just an idiot with a wrench...

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSSM View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll have to look into the AEM unit a little more. My only problem with OBDII tuning is that (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't recognize manifold pressure, and you are tuning based on calculated load or air flow rate which in the past I've found to be rediculously tedious. And I haven't found much in the way of OBDII tuning software for these cars, so I don't want to buy a tune from someone because I know myself and I can never let a car be haha, so I'm sure I'll be making changes throughout the cars life.
    If you are wanting to tune, you need to get a standalone ecu. The BMW ODBII dme is not like a gm OBDII dme. Just saying.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    Early 1995 740IL
    I was reading your threD about new to BMW's. Still interested in a new Tec3 unit? I have one I bought and never used it since I sold my E36. 1100 Shipped? Includes EMS, unused harness, map sensor, new coils(Option a lot of people don't get) air temperature sensor, crank wheel and sensors.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    what is the website to get the tec 3r

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    siastuning.com
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    I think there are 2 members on here that are selling their Tec3r's.
    -2007 335i Sport Package