Thread: Tailgate struts.. replacing clips

My Cars
    1994 325is

Tailgate struts.. replacing clips

Has anyone replaced these struts on the tourings tailgate??

I have new struts but i cant figure out how these clips are supposed to work. I will get a pic if needed.
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Wagon

Tailgate Shock Stainless Safety Retaining Rings

I got the same problem on a 1995 BMW 525i Wagon. Ordered new L and R Shocks. They came without the Clips so I ordered them. They've arrived and I cannot figure out how they install into the Cup end of the Shock/Struts. Anyone know? Without them the Shocks pop right off of the Ball and the Tailgate tries to kill me.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Anyone anyone?
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Wagon
    Well, I'm going to take the new shocks off until I can figure out how to install the Safety Clips that hold the Cup end of the Shock/Strut/Piston onto the Ball. Otherwise the tailgate IS going to come crashing down on someone.

My Cars
    e34 touring BBS RS
    theres a lock around the ball area of the strut. Loosen that first then pop it in. I can try to take pics but I don't know to upload on this site.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Wagon
    Will have another go at it and let you know. Thanks!

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Is this for the whole tailgate or just the Glass ?

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtland525i View Post
    Well, I'm going to take the new shocks off until I can figure out how to install the Safety Clips that hold the Cup end of the Shock/Strut/Piston onto the Ball. Otherwise the tailgate IS going to come crashing down on someone.

They simply hook on. The C-shape goes on the "strut" with the pin that sticks out of that C-shaped clip goes into a little small hole into the cupholder on the strut.
    Just look at the ones that are already installed on the car and you'll see. This is for the tailgate struts.

Don't know if the OP means struts for the opening glass part or the whole tailgate.

This (the opening glass):

Or this (whole tailgate):

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Wagon
    Got it done. This is for the Whole tailgate, not the opening glass window (which has it's own shocks/struts and I read somewhere that you need a special tool to get at this as it is concealed in the Roof of the Car. I do need new struts for the window but, one thing at a time.

Anyway. I ended up taking the struts/shocks off. The Main Body of the Shock is held on the Tailgate with a Torx 40 Machine Bolt and the Piston end has a cup which goes over the Ball fitting on the body of the car. I took off the Ball fitting as well. Once off the car I discovered that the Cup on the piston already has a "C" Ring inside a channel within the Cup. I didn't see this before and that is where my confusion started. Without knowing about the "C" Ring, I thought the Safety Clip somehow needed to wrap itself around the Ball Fitting. When I pressed the ball into the cup, it does snap in, but it doesn't hold and can pop out very easily. So the Safety Clips go on after the cup snaps onto the ball fitting. The safety clips are stainless steel and is basically a straight pin that goes into a small hole on the top cup fitting and passes through and out another hole in the bottom of the cup fitting. It then clips around the arm of the piston to hold it in place. I'll get some photos of this. In Miche's schematic above the "C" Ring is not shown. The Safety Clip is #8. Thaks everyone for your help. It is very much appreciated.

BTW, it is so much easier to fit the cup to the Ball fitting and put on the safety clip BEFORE securing the Piston Body to the Tailgate with the Torx Bolt. I had the Tailgate held open with a 6' 2 x 4.
    Last edited by Courtland525i; 08-02-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost