Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone heard of the movie "Everybody Loves Whales"?

My Cars
    E93
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    Well I read in the paper a big budget action thriller not based on a true story is most likely coming next fall. This is a 100 million dollar movie with 50 million of it done here. They are tight lipped on it since isn't a done deal but who knows maybe I'll get some more car work.....
    Any more details? In the meantime here is an interesting twist:

Greenpeace responsible for killing the baby whale? A marine biologist out of Seattle(who at the time of the 1988 Whale Rescue had whale sound recordings and playback equipment flown up to the site) checks in with some new and interesting commentary related to "the real story" as linked below. His conclusion with regard to the Killer Whale sounds having speculatively led to the demise of the baby whale is a bit ironic in view of Dermot Mulroney as the Alaska National Guard Colonel having commented in the movie, "Are they at least Killer Whales?"

To elaborate it remains an open question as to Greenpeace's exact role in allowing sounds to be directed at the whales absent a marine biologist's supervision. However, there is an account in Tom Rose's book, "Freeing the Whales" (which to date has been the most complete account of Operation Breakthrough, as it was termed at the time) which suggests [in light of the new revelations set forth in the linked article] that Greenpeace's Cindy Lowry, whose character Drew Barrymore plays in the movie, jumped the gun in allowing sounds to be directed at the whales before the marine biologist could intervene.

The book describes Greenpeace being instrumental in bringing Jim Nollman, an "inter-species communicator" to the site with his own underwater sound equipment. In addition the book recounts an incident where Drew's real life character Cindy Lowry was visibly upset and crying after Nollman had played some sounds into the water which may well have been related to the disappearance of the baby whale though the specifics are only hinted at in Rose's account. The below linked revelations by the marine biologist which have just been made public - when read together with the account in Rose's book - provide an ironic twist to the tale of the baby whale's early demise.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...ml?track=icymi
    Last edited by Northcar; 02-15-2012 at 01:49 PM.

My Cars
    E93

The plot thickens?

And yet another "revelation" as to the timing of the likely underwater sounds of Killer Whales that the above quoted marine mammal biologist believes led to the demise of the baby whale (named "BamBam" in the movie, "Bone" at the time of Operation Breakthrough.)

Bill Hess, a still photographer at the time and subsequent author of "The Gift of the Whales" recounts in his February 17th blog posting (part 8) that it was proximate to the time of the whale sound underwater broadcasting by the Greenpeace procured "interspecies communicatior" that the baby whale disappeared. Here are some excerpts from the blog:

One day early in the rescue, I stepped into Pepe's (Amigos in Big Miracle) for lunch, found her [Greenpeace's Cindy Lowry - played by Drew Barrymore in the movie] sharing a table with a man I had not yet seen. Cindy invited me to join them. She introduced me to Jim Nollman, - an "expert on interspecies Communications" from Friday Harbor, Washington. Nollman had his own company - Interspecies Communications and had come to communicate with the trapped whales, lead them to open water and send them on their way to Baja. He had brought tapes of whale sounds, including gray but also orcas [Killer Whales], which like to eat grays and of music. He must have also brought a guitar, because he had plans to use one.
    If I recall correctly, Greenpeace had paid for his plane ticket in the hope that his gray whale recordings could be used to lead the whales to open water.

Jim and Cindy went to the gray whales while I was out with Alfred and Whitlam and Jim conducted his Pied Piper musical experiment - not with a guitar, but with recorded sounds, piped into the water of one of the newly cut chainsaw holes with his underwater speaker. I missed it.

Sometime afterward, I was talking to crew boss Johnny Leavitt when we suddenly heard Mark Fraker, an oil industry biologist who got deeply into the rescue, shout. "they're moving!"
    We turned. A whale rose in the hole immediately behind us.
    A bit later, someone observed that the small whale, Bone, was missing. Someone else then said that he didn't think he had seen Bone since Nollman had conducted his experiment. I thought he might be making a joke, but I was told that a TV reporter also heard the comment and broadcast it as fact.
    I talked to Nollman later and he was vehement that this was not the case. He said all three whales were there when he left. He believed his experiment had convinced all the whales to use the chainsaw holes.
    Bone was never seen again.

Below is link to the full blog:

http://www.logbookwasilla.com/
    Last edited by Northcar; 02-18-2012 at 04:53 AM.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    The new film is for now called Hunter-killer and is likely to star Gerard Butler. It's about an American seal team working with the soviets to rescue the captured president of Russia. So I don't know how much car stuff will be involved in this movie, as the details unravel I'm sure we'll see more in the paper and on TV.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    E93

At least the Baur can get to Russia via the Whittier Tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    The new film is for now called Hunter-killer and is likely to star Gerard Butler. It's about an American seal team working with the soviets to rescue the captured president of Russia. So I don't know how much car stuff will be involved in this movie, as the details unravel I'm sure we'll see more in the paper and on TV.

Apparently they are going to use the seaport of Whittier as a shooting locale for a Soviet city since it still has ominous concrete faced high rises left over from World War II that look like they could be right out of the gulag.

The Baur would make a perfect Russian Mafia auto in the film.

(Whittier is behind and beyond the pictured mountains and accessible by land only through a tunnel.)

Maybe Sarah Palin will be proven right after all: ------------On further reflection - if they make this film as planned it looks like we might actually almost be able to see Russia from our yards. (The above photo is shot from my front yard.)
    Last edited by Northcar; 02-19-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E93

The Baur may yet star in the upcoming Blu-ray DVD

Details just leaked as to added content on the upcoming Combo Pak Blu-ray/DVD coming out June 19th for Big Miracle. In addition to the film itself the added content includes commentary by the director, deleted scenes with commentary by the director, and two behind the scenes featurettes. In the meantime here is a link to the Baur's sequel film shooting of a video clip prominently showing the Baur in a street scene from the upcoming Nicholas Cage film, "The Frozen Ground." (Baur seen at :16 and 1:05 on the UTube video.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDuBvwGBCoU&feature=related[/ame]

My Cars
    E93

The bauer made the BLU-RAY!

THE BAUER MADE THE BLU-RAY!

While the DVD and the BLU-RAY won't be released until next week, I just received the international version of the BLU-RAY and in its added feature "Stranger than Life" there is an expanded clip showing the filming of the wedding scene. in it the Bauer is prominently visible as can be seen in one of the posts above on this thread showing the get-away Lamborghini. I believe this particular feature may be limited to the BLU-RAY. The added scenes feature did not include further shots at the oil company location where the Bauer was also a set player. A third added feature is an extended one on the making of the movie that is itself worth the price of the DVD or BLU-RAY and prominently shows the filming of the whale hunt scene that was filmed in my and the OP's "backyard" on Jewel Lake here in Anchorage Alaska as well as extensive footage of the making of the movie's ice field scenes on the port set that has been featured in my photos posted above earlier on this thread.

Here is a copy paste from my review on Amaz-- of the added features on the DVD/BLU-RAY:

This review is from: Big Miracle (BD Combo Disc + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
    While the DVD and BLU-RAY are still preorder items here in the US, I have just viewed the added features -which we will also be getting in the U.S.- on the international version of the BLU-RAY and IMHO they alone are worth seeing. The making of the movie feature is extensive and truly depicts what some of us here in Alaska had a chance to witness as the film was made here. The ice field set was unique and the use of animatronic whales (rather than tennis balls) for the human actors to relate to on the set is graphically depicted. Had to love seeing again the filming of the whale hunt scene on the lake just down the street from my house. If you have a BLU-RAY player opt for the BLU-RAY version just to get its added feature "Stranger than Fiction" which compares and contrasts the real life events with the Hollywood dramatization.

Anyone interested in the behind the scenes aspects of movie making will find the features on the DVD and BLU-RAY a real treat.
    Last edited by Northcar; 06-15-2012 at 01:30 AM.

My Cars
    E93

Looking like the Bauer made both the Blu-ray AND THE DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
    THE BAUER MADE THE BLU-RAY!

While the DVD and the BLU-RAY won't be released until next week, I just received the international version of the BLU-RAY and in its added feature "Stranger than Life" there is an expanded clip showing the filming of the wedding scene. in it the Bauer is prominently visible as can be seen in one of the posts above on this thread showing the get-away Lamborghini. I believe this particular feature may be limited to the BLU-RAY. The added scenes feature did not include further shots at the oil company location where the Bauer was also a set player. A third added feature is an extended one on the making of the movie that is itself worth the price of the DVD or BLU-RAY and prominently shows the filming of the whale hunt scene that was filmed in my and the OP's "backyard" on Jewel Lake here in Anchorage Alaska as well as extensive footage of the making of the movie's ice field scenes on the port set that has been featured in my photos posted above earlier on this thread.

Here is a copy paste from my review on Amaz-- of the added features on the DVD/BLU-RAY:

This review is from: Big Miracle (BD Combo Disc + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
    While the DVD and BLU-RAY are still preorder items here in the US, I have just viewed the added features -which we will also be getting in the U.S.- on the international version of the BLU-RAY and IMHO they alone are worth seeing. The making of the movie feature is extensive and truly depicts what some of us here in Alaska had a chance to witness as the film was made here. The ice field set was unique and the use of animatronic whales (rather than tennis balls) for the human actors to relate to on the set is graphically depicted. Had to love seeing again the filming of the whale hunt scene on the lake just down the street from my house. If you have a BLU-RAY player opt for the BLU-RAY version just to get its added feature "Stranger than Fiction" which compares and contrasts the real life events with the Hollywood dramatization.

Anyone interested in the behind the scenes aspects of movie making will find the features on the DVD and BLU-RAY a real treat.
    Per the linked review of the Blu-ray it sounds like the added feature titled "Truth is Stranger than Fiction" is going to be on both the Blu-ray and the DVD. So the good news is the Bauer (which is prominently seen in said feature's wedding car get-away scene) will be available for viewing by all. The bad news though is apparently though that the how the film was made feature titled "A 'Big Miracle' in Alaska" with its 21 minutes of excellent content is going to be limited to the Blu-ray. (I've seen both features on the International Version and strongly suggest anyone with Blu-Ray player access opt for the Blu-ray version as the making of the movie feature is one of the best I have ever seen. By the way, with the Blu-ray copy you get a DVD version on its flip side so you can still play the movie even if you don't have a Blu-ray player. The extra 3 bucks for the Blu-ray version is well worth it even if you don't have present access to a blu-ray player as you may in the future or can always view same at a friend's place.)

Here are some quotes from the below linked review of the Blu-ray that focus on the added features:

A “Big Miracle” in Alaska (21:06, 1080p) (EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY) – This featurette, exclusive to the Blu-ray edition, covers the basics of the production. All of the cast are interviewed on set up in Alaska, and a generous amount of on-set video is presented. The usual mutual compliments are presented, but there is one pretty honest moment from Drew Barrymore about the reality of her getting into freezing cold water for one diving scene.

Truth is Stranger Than Fiction (12:08, 1080p) (AVAILABLE BOTH ON DVD & BLU-RAY) – SOME SPOILERS HERE: This
    featurette gets a bit more into the true story that inspired the movie, with footage and interviews with the real people. (Some of the older film and video footage seen here is also presented in the movie’s end credit sequence.) It should be noted that the movie got permission to include real news broadcasts from the major networks, including one surprising bit of video at the end of a late 1980 Alaskan news broadcast – featuring a young woman covering sports who would go on to bigger things later in her life.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...blu-ray-review
    Last edited by Northcar; 06-18-2012 at 02:03 AM.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I am planning on picking up a copy today in town. I am still bummed not to make it in the movie, but the blueray featurette is ok....I hope at least one of the dozen or so scenes the car was in will make the next movie. The odds are better since in whales It was only in two scenes.
    Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 06-25-2012 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Well here it is fresh of the dvd.....

My 1 second of fame in a big screen movie, I can mark of my bucket list "act in a scene in a movie with Drew Barrymore" I did a fantanstic job of walking up those stairs....

Now there is no need to run out and buy the movie all the BMW content has been posted here, unless of course if you really do love whales then you should go get a copy....

My Cars
    E93
    I think I saw the Baur coming at me headed east on Strawberry Sunday morning. Headed for Sunday's vintage car show that was preceeded by a showing in the pre-show at the Jewel Lake McDonalds on Saturday? Knew I should have stopped by McDonalds on Saturday. By the way, we had a houseguest the other day and we were talking about her father's masonry business here in Alaska years ago. She mentioned it was called Chugach Masonry. Immediately the Big Miracle scene with all the snowmobiles at the ice hole came to mind. (Just before Drew Barrymore's character jumps in the water) In it one of the snowmobile's windshield had the words "Chugach Masonry" and "Fireside Masonry" painted on it. She made some calls to various family members and confirmed that the snowmachine had actually been owned by her dad and it along with other vintage snowmachines had been loaned to the movie by someone in the extended family. Apparently her uncle (now deceased) once owned Arctic Cat, the local snowmobile dealer and had amassed a collection of vintage snowmobiles. The uncle also had a masonry business named, "Fireside Masonry." Pretty neat Easter Egg. (Both masonry businesses have been defunct for years and never had any connection to Barrow, Alaska where the actual events took place.) I'm surprised the filmmakers let that "product placement" slip into the film though guess it was a concession made for allowing use of the snowmobiles. (She used her I-Phone to take a screen shot off of my TV and sent it to her dad who in his 80's is retired in Arizona.) Just think, you might have been able to negotiate getting "Bimmer Forums" painted on the Baur's windshield. lol

Last edited by Northcar; 08-07-2012 at 04:09 AM.

My Cars
    E93
    .....the Big Miracle scene with all the snowmobiles at
    the ice hole came to mind. (Just before Drew Barrymore's character jumps
    in the water).

Recall the underwater shot where Drew peers directly at the camera through her goggles?

For those who have seen the film, just learned about another interesting factoid with regard to a trick used by Cinematographer John Bailey to capture the close-up of Drew's face as she swam under the water with the whales. Although Barrymore had actually become scuba certified for this film and opted to forgo a stunt person to swim in her stead, the filmmakers were unable to get the lighting placement they needed for a close-up face shot in the seal tanks at the Sea Life Center in Seward, Alaska where Drew was filmed reaching out to the whales and cutting the net that was caught on the baby whale's tale. Bailey revealed that he used a technique he learned early in his career from one of the pioneering cinematographers. A large fish aquarium glass tank was purchased here in Anchorage and he placed Drew wearing her scuba gear on one side with the lighting he needed and then shot through the glass from the other side with his camera. (Pictured on the set left to right, Drew Barrymore in scuba gear, Director Ken Kwapis, my office building lol, and Cinematographer John Bailey.) (Additional view is looking from the ice field set during its construction and just prior to filming with a more prominent view of my office building.)

Last edited by Northcar; 08-27-2012 at 04:08 AM.

My Cars
    E93

Here is the underwater scene

OK, here is the scene described above. As explained, there is a water filled glass aquarium between the camera and Drew. As viewed, there is not a drop of water on her.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345