Thread: Crank, rod and piston upgrade for E36 M3

Crank, rod and piston upgrade for E36 M3

Howdy folks,

I am currently looking into increasing my displacement and compresion through an upgrade of crank, rods and pistons.
    I would like to avoid shaving the head if possible.

What would be a good "bolt on" replacement for the standard crank of my 95 E36 M3 US 3.0l ?

Will the 3.2 lit cranks from the E36 work ? Are there 3.4 or 3.6l cranks that would work ? With a 3.6 l crank the stroke would be
    much higher that then bore and therefore mess up the power band that the engine was designed for ?

Any suggestions on the hi compression pistons ? I want to be
    borderline in comp ratio in order to use super unleaded-race gas (around 12.1-1 ratio perhaps?)

Thanks in advance.
    fstbmwm3@yahoo.com
    http://home.talkcity.com/ThePits/vlasis/index.html
    E36 M3 1995 Avus Blau
    Euro HFM, Bored Throttle body, 24#/hr injectors, Schrick cams,Cone filter in custom heatshield,lightweight flywheel, 3.2l Euro M3 clutch set, 80C thermostat, 3.23 diff w/ 40% lock, SS Euro sized headers, SS muffler and all plumbing, Dr. Gas X-Box, cat bypass, H&R race springs, Koni adjustables, Motorsport front and rear strut bars, Schnitcher-Eibach f&r sway bars, camber plates, floating rotors, spacers,UUC trans mounts, Powerflex bushings everywhere and 300 pounds less junk.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Call up Turner or Evosport, they might be able to help.

Good Luck

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    Dunno about the crank. There was an outfit that made a 3.5l conversion but I dont think they sold many. It was pretty extreme for the block. For pistons, contact JE Pistons. They may have something for you. For rods, contact Pauter Machine. They have some nice chromoly rods for the BMW's.

definitely avoid milling the head. There is not much you can remove from the head anyway. Something like 4 thousandths and then after that you need to get a new head. Save that only for necessity.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

Thanks for the info guys,

I was planning on increasing the compression thru JE pistons.

No luck yet with the crank search.

Regards,

Vlasis
    fstbmwm3@yahoo.com
    http://home.talkcity.com/ThePits/vlasis/index.html
    E36 M3 1995 Avus Blau
    Euro HFM, Bored Throttle body, 24#/hr injectors, Schrick cams,Cone filter in custom heatshield,lightweight flywheel, 3.2l Euro M3 clutch set, 80C thermostat, 3.23 diff w/ 40% lock, SS Euro sized headers, SS muffler and all plumbing, Dr. Gas X-Box, cat bypass, H&R race springs, Koni adjustables, Motorsport front and rear strut bars, Schnitcher-Eibach f&r sway bars, camber plates, floating rotors, spacers,UUC trans mounts, Powerflex bushings everywhere and 300 pounds less junk.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    i've heard that RDSport had a stroker kit for the euro 3.2L motors. see if you can contact a dealer over there.
    if you're looking for US motor stroker pieces, contact Autowerkes in California at 714-842-2277.