Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear doors coverings trim (exterior trim) - cracked rubber

My Cars
    2001 E38 740iL-Loaded
    Was The side profile shown For This Paticular Seal...... or did I miss it.

Carmen

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    bumppp any upddates?

My Cars
    Lesxus GS
    Anyone have any updates on what and where to buy?

My Cars
    Lesxus GS
    Any Updates? Thanks what product and where sourced?

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    I actually just bought some of this. I'll post pics when it comes in.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740I Sport
    pics and where you bought it from would be awesome. Mine just started to degrade.

-Messan
    The above is my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    01 Shorty Sporty BLK/BLK

My Cars
    1995 740i BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    I actually just bought some of this. I'll post pics when it comes in.
    what is the "this" you speak of? Im also interested in this.

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    I bought some press in window trim. this is the profile.E38 drip edge trim.jpg

Hoping to have the car back from the body shop this weekend, I'll post pics once I have it.

My Cars
    2001 740i (sport)
    please tell us where on purchased your press in window trim.

My Cars
    2001 e38 Sport

Window trim replacement - also did back window

I decided to replace the trim around the side windows of my e38 as the weather stripping was very cracked.
    The job took about 2 hours and can be done by just about any diy'er.
    Thanks to all previous posts as I would not have know where to start on this project and I certainly was not going to go to the local "stealer".

Here are some pics:

https://plus.google.com/109210405714...ts/QyKPbHGFedm

There are 28 pics in the post. Once you click on one of the pictures there are little arrows on the bottom to scroll through the rest.

You will see that I purchased 2 different window glazing. I purchased them from Amazon for about $55 each. What you want is called RG38100. (Made by a company called CRL.) I also purchased RG12100 but it did not fit so I will be returning it. (it fit ok in some places but was loose and seemed like it would fly out.)

There may be others that fit better than the RG38100 but this worked very well on my e38 and will probably work on an e39 as well. I not only did the side trim on both sides but I also did the rear window. The trim did not fit perfectly in the gap around the rear window - but it is nearly perfect (it sticks out just half of a millimeter around the top because I could not cram it into the gap any further) - and since there was no trim ever installed in the back window from the factory, it really doesn't matter anyway. Plus it still looks way better than stock in my opinion.

I have most of the spool left over as this project used only about 15 feet of the 100. Feel free to contact me and I can sell you the rest of the spool.

Some notes:

- On the rear window I left a half inch of trim going down into the trunk.

- On almost all cuts - I cut the trim at an angle so that it would get as close to whatever it was butting up against and fit in smoothly.

- As I worked my way around the top of the rear door and down the back of the car to where the door shuts against the body of the car - I left a half inch of trim here and the door still shuts smoothly. I can always cut it off later if I need to but I figured that this might be a point where road noise might come in. (Cut your trim long - you can always cut a little off later if you want to.)

- Going around the A pillar on both sides of the car there is a strip of rubber that runs the whole length of the A pillar. On my car this was perfectly in tact and looked good and was not worn at all. I almost started my trim install right where this existing trim piece ended - but I did not. I used a metal pick and I removed this piece of trim. This must be a better grade of rubber because it was not cracked at all. I think I made the right choice because now there is just one solid new strip of trim going around the car - instead of an old piece meeting a new piece. This will be up to you if you want to remove this trim or leave it.

- Do not use a screwdriver to push the trim into place on the outside (visible part) of the trim - instead use a piece of plastic to push in the second groove of the trim - then use your thumb to push it in the rest of the way.

- You will see that the side with 2 grooves (the side that has 3 teeth) fits better toward the painted side of the car - the side with the single groove goes against the non-painted trim piece.

Best of luck !

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Some serious Texas dry rot there! Nice work.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i e38
    Thanks for the weather glaze stripping information bro. I was riding in the back seat of my 2001 BMW 740i and noticed that I had significant water leakage off of the interior rear window corner. I figured that the cause was due to the cracking and missing weather strip, I just didn't know what to do about it. But your post just saved me a-lot of money. I just ordered my roll of GR38100 from amazon and look forward to installing it when it comes in. I will also start posting work I have done to my e38 in the future. Thanks again.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy21 View Post
    Thanks for the weather glaze stripping information bro. I was riding in the back seat of my 2001 BMW 740i and noticed that I had significant water leakage off of the interior rear window corner. I figured that the cause was due to the cracking and missing weather strip, I just didn't know what to do about it. But your post just saved me a-lot of money. I just ordered my roll of GR38100 from amazon and look forward to installing it when it comes in. I will also start posting work I have done to my e38 in the future. Thanks again.

I know this is quite a while ago, but I'm interested in finding out how you made out with this? has anyone in the last year come up with any other ideas for replacing trim? I'm looking to do all of mine on my E38 ASAP!

Thank youi

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Calli74 View Post
    I know this is quite a while ago, but I'm interested in finding out how you made out with this? has anyone in the last year come up with any other ideas for replacing trim? I'm looking to do all of mine on my E38 ASAP!

Thank youi
    I can't find where I originally posted this, but I grabbed some self-adhesive weather stripping from Home Depot and used it to fill the gap left by the stock trim.

IMG_20170402_142350485.jpg

IMG_20170403_071755.jpg

IMG_20170403_071823.jpg

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I can't find where I originally posted this, but I grabbed some self-adhesive weather stripping from Home Depot and used it to fill the gap left by the stock trim.

IMG_20170402_142350485.jpg

IMG_20170403_071755.jpg

IMG_20170403_071823.jpg
    This worked awesomely. My Local HD didn't carry it anymore so I got a spool for $~6 on Amazon, Free shipping and it was a double seal. I just split it and used one of my plastic pry tools to push it in after cleaning out the old dried up seal, cleaning the grime out and sticking it in the groove
    "Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!" - Londo Mollari & "You see but you do not observe." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - When the pin is pulled Mr Grenade is not your friend. - Unknown

Current Rides
    • '96 E38 740il "007" or "the Green Beast"- Chassis 340k miles Engine & Tranny 50k miles
    • '07 Toyota Tacoma 125k miles SR5 Prerunner in Texas it's just "The Car"
    • '02 E39 525i 108k Miles Wife's ride "Ladyhawke"

Past Rides
    • '80 Mercedes 240D "Bonnie Blue" - 415k miles still going somewhere... 0-60 in 5 minutes
    • RIP - '91 E30 325i "the Tank" or the "pocket Rocket" 215k miles & '92 Toyota Camry LE V6 put 212k "Pegasus"
    • Good Riddance - '85 Audi 5000 - Stupidest Dumbest buy I ever Made. I should've bought the 524td with the Cracked block instead!
    • '80 Toyota Corolla - "the Stealth Machine" - Drove it like I stole it - You always miss your first one

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAtredes View Post
    This worked awesomely. My Local HD didn't carry it anymore so I got a spool for $~6 on Amazon, Free shipping and it was a double seal. I just split it and used one of my plastic pry tools to push it in after cleaning out the old dried up seal, cleaning the grime out and sticking it in the groove
    Sweet!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123