Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The EWS I, EWS II delete / bypass and information thread!

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Depends on what engine you are putting in your car...If its a pre ews engine, you dont have to do anything, but jump the starter wires on the ews connector. If it it an ews1 engine, im sure theres some wires you can cut. On ews2 its very complicated and there is no easy way to bypass or delete, its made to not be stolen. Your best bet is to get a delete chip for the ews2 dme and jump the ews connector starter wires.

To reiterate:

Ews0 engine in ews2 chassis: jump starter wires on ews connector
    Ews1 engine in ews2 chassis: jump starter wires on ews connector
    Ews2 engine in ews2 chassis: delete chip with jumped starter wires on ews connector or have aligned

Ews0 engine in ews1 chassis: no problem
    Ews1 engine in ews1 chassis: jump starter wires on ews connector
    Ews2 engine in ews1 chassis: delete chip with jumped starter wires on ews connector

Ews0 engine in ews0 chassis: no problem
    Ews1 engine in ews0 chassis: no problem
    Ews2 engine in ews0 chassis: delete chip or alignment
    Ews1 engine in ews0 chassis: jump starter wires on ews connector
    ~~

My Cars
    95 M3 Sedan

506 DME in EWS1 car-Intermittently won't crank

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me piece this together. I just bought a 95 318i (build date 5/95) that had a M3 engine swap with a VF supercharger. The DME has a vin for a 94 M3 (1/94) and the pn 0 261 203 506 (greyish black label).

The car intermittently will not crank over. Everything in the car seems to work fine, but when you turn the key there is no sound at all. . .no click, no cranking, nothing. It will push start just fine though when this is happening. Later on, it will crank and start just fine. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I'm wondering if the EWS is active in this car, or if I can rule that out because of the 506 DME. The pdf thats been posted many times on here seems to indicate that 1/94 and later are EWS I. It sounds like a 506 DME is non-EWS though. The DME came from a 1/94 build date car, so who knows. . .

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to dig into it tonight to see what I can figure out. I'll post back when I have more to report.

Thanks,

Jake

My Cars
    74 tii, 93 M5 x2
    The 506 DME has no EWS, also EWS is only in the cars built in Dec 94 onwards. If it was EWS related, it would crank but not start.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If it was EWS it would borough start. Sounds like Abadan starter.

And of Course it can't be ews because your car/engine/DME isn't equipped with it
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 08-22-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Sounds like other issues. Not ews. Ews wont let you start period, not just once in a while.
    ~~

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i
    Anybody know how i can delete e39 97 528i ews2 car wont start

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Has to be programmed out of the dme. Aftermarket chips do this.
    ~~

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i
    How do i reprogram ad where can i find this aftermarket chips

My Cars
    95 318ti, 92 325i, 97 M3
    I'm guessing this is a repeat but I was having some issues with my 5/95 318ti so its EWSII. It seems that my DME was dead, car would run but very rough so I know the EWS system was working fine. It had a silver label 282 DME and I had a red label 282 already with to my knowledge is not EWS. I tried swapping them and the car will spin but not start so I'm guessing I have an EWS issue even though the DME is pre EWS. I snipped the 66 wire but that didn't help either

My Cars
    325i 330xi 740il
    It can be deleted but you will lose security features on you car. The few of us that know the way around it don't tell how often

Sent from my iPhone using BF.c

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Ok, since the wizards who know wont tell you haha....

Go under the passenger side dash and look for the ews module that has the BIG YELLOW connector. Unplug it and put a jumper accross the two largest wires on the connector(maybe pin 2&3). Obviously leave the plug disconnected.
    ~~

My Cars
    325i 330xi 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by NSBMW View Post
    Ok, since the wizards who know wont tell you haha....

Go under the passenger side dash and look for the ews module that has the BIG YELLOW connector. Unplug it and put a jumper accross the two largest wires on the connector(maybe pin 2&3). Obviously leave the plug disconnected.
    ews2 is a little more involved than that

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    No its not. Not when your putting a non ews dme in an ews chassis.
    ~~

My Cars
    325i 330xi 740il
    Ok

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    I put a 92 non ews dme engine in a 96 ews2 chassis. Just look at a wiring diagram and thats all there is to it. Now, if it was another ews2 dme, it would be a different story.
    ~~

My Cars
    318is and 318i

only to 96' and newer or 325 and above engine size

I put a 92 non ews dme engine in a 96 ews2 chassis. Just look at a wiring diagram and thats all there is to it. Now, if it was another ews2 dme, it would be a different story.
    Yeah it can happen, but only to every other engine other than 318's, so if you have a 96 and newer with EWS 2 nothing will work only to flash the DME thats as far as I know!

[QUICKIMG]

"Going Fast is awesome, BMW'S make it LOOK and FEEL AWESOME"

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanking View Post
    Yeah it can happen, but only to every other engine other than 318's, so if you have a 96 and newer with EWS 2 nothing will work only to flash the DME thats as far as I know!

Ok, as long as the DME your putting in does not have EWS, it will be fine even if the chassis has the EWS module, you just jump the wires.

As soon as you add in a DME with EWS2 to a chassis with EWS2 to the equation, your looking at reflashing or alignment.

So the short of it is, it doesnt matter if your chassis had ews2 or not, if you put a non ews dme into it you wont have any problems.

If you try and mix and match EWS DMEs with EWS chassis, your going to have problems.
    ~~

My Cars
    E36 M3/97' Camry LE
    Ok so with reading this thread plus the BMW link Op posted
    (Thank you), I have come to the conclusion that I am screwed.

If only I had not read the right info, when the OP talked about ticked off
    People it's like he was talking to me.

So here is my situation. Don't ask how, it just is, and now I dot know. ;(

*99M3 Vert Auto
    *M50
    *413 red ECU (still stock)
    *Obd 1 engine and trans harness
    *Non chipped Key (new ing switch)

I dot have the original key since it was lost
    In a drunk night out and no way to get it back.

Can I like make some race car switches or something to make thing start and drive?

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    your engine swap sounds retarded.

Go get a key made...
    ~~

My Cars
    318is and 318i
    yup, just get another key made!
    [QUICKIMG]

My Cars
    '95 325i
    On the note of simply affixing the transponder to the ring antenna to bypass the need for a correct key in the ignition to start, I am working on a project so that manual transmission cars can utilize a "Neutral Safety Switch" when installing a remote start system.I'm configuring it so that the gearshift must be in its neutral position to enable start. I plan on incorporating the EWS II system into the safety switch mod I'm doing because an EWS bypass is needed anyways for remote start to even work. Would a change/difference in resistance in the ring antenna affect its ability to function properly?
    Last edited by mattmotaaa; 02-22-2013 at 07:11 AM.

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    I don't really understand the question. Your remote start won't work unless there is either no ews or you tape the chip to the ring. I would just delete it rather than have a chip taped to my steering column. Why are you modifying the antenna ring?
    ~~

My Cars
    318is and 318i

Thumbs up Cooool..... so now I have a non EWS DME from a 92' 318

Ok, as long as the DME your putting in does not have EWS, it will be fine even if the chassis has the EWS module, you just jump the wires.

As soon as you add in a DME with EWS2 to a chassis with EWS2 to the equation, your looking at reflashing or alignment.

So the short of it is, it doesnt matter if your chassis had ews2 or not, if you put a non ews dme into it you wont have any problems.

If you try and mix and match EWS DMEs with EWS chassis, your going to have problems.

So you are saying that a non EWS DME will work with the jumped cables in a EWS2 chassis?

cool which diagram is it?
    do you have a link?
    [QUICKIMG]

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    As long as your engine is OBD1 as well...then yes. An OBD1 non ews engine and dme will work in an ews 2 chassis. Just jump the two thick wires on the ews module behind the glovebox.
    ~~

My Cars
    Euro 3.2l e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Straight answer to the original poster:

How to eliminate (1996-1999) EWS2?

You could do this with a $40 flashing tool and all other information is free on internet, it requires you to download your original flash, modding the flash software, and burning it back into your DME ecu. Even if I wrote step by step procedure how to do it, even with video, it will be complicated to do for person who never worked with computer HEX code language. This requires working with raw HEX code and recalculating checksum, it is not that hard to do but most people don't even know how to find a OBD2 connector on the car so I don't even want to waste my time. I tried to post information on OBD1 ecu modding for free but people like MarkD and other basement ecu tuners cry to moderation to ban me
    hakentt definitely knows what he's talkig about. Him and the guys at Bullet Performance got my Euro S50B32 working without EWS2. Thanks again!!!!

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/...feisoucwa.mp4/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast