Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The EWS I, EWS II delete / bypass and information thread!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    Just to verify, the above implies that if a 99 e36 M3 cranks than the OBD2 ews2 system is, in fact, aligned with the DME. Is that correct?

Thanks!
    That is my understanding. The EWS sends a signal to turn off the imobilizer relay so the car can crank. This can't happen if the EWS parts are not aligned to each other and working correctly.

My Cars
    17 M240ix and 3 Suby's
    subscribing to this thread
    i'm in the process of building an s52 for my 97 328is. i need to start researching what i need to do, DME & cluster wise, to make it all happen. looks like this thread will proove useful. i have a friend who parts out BMWs for a living who has plenty of DME's and clusters. just need peice the puzzle together...

My Cars
    e30S52cabrio & clubsport
    Thank you for supplying the info in this thread. I've learned quite a few things from the first link.

I have a question though:

I have a 07/95 OBD I M42 318ti (so it's a OBD I, EWS II system) My DME is not sending the pulse signal to my MAF. So, I have two othe DMEs from

DME 1 is a 10/95
    DME 2 is a 05/95

Obviously, none of these DMEs will start the car. I can pay $100 for an EWS delete chip, take it to the dealer for an alignment.

I heard rumors of cutting some wires to bypass EWS....Will this work in my case? What wires need snipped?

Thanks for the help guys!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1995M3LTW
    Every night I before I sleep I pray for more sellers like you. Thanks bud
    ~Fernando

My Cars
    numerous
    no snipping of wires will bypass ews-ii. It's either

1. aligned ews/dme/key chip
    2. aligned simulator/dme
    3. re-programmed dme

My Cars
    MZ3, YUK DEN, FORESTERXT

what if its a an LS swap..no dme / no ews box

I need to jump around the ews box so that when the key is turned the cranking signal flows out the x20 connector...and same with 12v switched.

Can anyone point to the wires that need to be bridged?
    00 MZ3 with LS2 /T56 swap (425rwhp/404Torq corrected to SAE), with oil cooler and 3 qt accusump, TCK DA, , 1.75 in Vorshlag Headers, RD Sways, Dinan Upper Strut, Turner Brake Cooling with Stainless Lines, DTC90 Pads, Fidanza LTW Fly Wheel and LS7 clutch and pressure plate, Hurst Shifter Hamann Kit, Digi tec Wing, Full grand am style cage from Deman MotorSports, New Age radiator, Lower temp alum thermostat, center 75d FCAB, Rear Camber and Toe plates, AKG 75d bushings throughout , SLR Roll Center / Bump Steer Correction kit, Turn one power steering pump and cooler, Rogue Rear Strut mounts, TCK Camber Plates, 18x10.5 wheels with Hoosier R6, Rogue Dual-Ear diff, Randy Forbe Reinforced Diff Mounts, adjustable sway bar end links, 500/700 springs, Custom Advanced Motorsports carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber roof, bumper cover, splitter and Dive Planes, Pole Position, lexan Windows, PBR C6 z 6 piston calipers with C6z rotors,custom dual master cylinder pedal box...

My Cars
    92 325, 98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscrewed View Post
    I need to jump around the ews box so that when the key is turned the cranking signal flows out the x20 connector...and same with 12v switched.

Can anyone point to the wires that need to be bridged?
    You mean these... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4WDpsfty9m...s+splicing.JPG

Came across someone who had posted this earlier.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Seems like a bunch of smart people here, I could use a little help... My car randomly just makes like half a click sound at the starter then nothing when the battery is fine, yet after turning key back off and reattempting it will start just fine.. Sometimes is takes like 4 attempts but when it does fire sound like 100% normal start..

I feel like its a ews problem anyone have any idea? I figure its either ign switch, a key lock/tumbler issue, or the ews needs realignment?? problem is i dont know where to start and im poor.. any help greatly appreciated!

** I have two keys by the way and they do the same thing.. and its a 97 540i
    Last edited by PokerIzWork540; 04-23-2012 at 04:16 AM.

My Cars
    92 325, 98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerIzWork540 View Post
    Seems like a bunch of smart people here, I could use a little help... My car randomly just makes like half a click sound at the starter then nothing when the battery is fine, yet after turning key back off and reattempting it will start just fine.. Sometimes is takes like 4 attempts but when it does fire sound like 100% normal start..

I feel like its a ews problem anyone have any idea? I figure its either ign switch, a key lock/tumbler issue, or the ews needs realignment?? problem is i dont know where to start and im poor.. any help greatly appreciated!

** I have two keys by the way and they do the same thing.. and its a 97 540i
    Its not your ews. Sounds like a broken ignition switch.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by deadjudis View Post
    Its not your ews. Sounds like a broken ignition switch.
    Thanks for the reply.. I thought the same thing, will order the switch..

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002

EWS2 and 403dme

Im going to be swapping an m50nv 403DME engine into a 318i chassis that has EWS2. Do I need to get them aligned?or should it work plug and play?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by NSBMW
    Im going to be swapping an m50nv 403DME engine into a 318i chassis that has EWS2. Do I need to get them aligned?or should it work plug and play?
    You won't have ewsII any more. With that 403 DME there is nothing to align. Check out the threads on doing an OBD I conversion. You should also check the Canadian regulations on emissions. In most of the US it is against the law to attempt what you are going to do. You aren't allowed to tamper with OBDII emissions equipment.

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    So it should just be plug and play then? Also in Nova Scotia we don't have emmisions testing, and the only mechanics around here to know the difference is the dealer, maybe. The law only states that an obd2 engine cant be downgraded to to obd1 here afaik...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320i

Ews2

Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Straight answer to the original poster:

How to eliminate (1995) EWS1?

EWS1 that comes on 1995 BMW cars can simply be removed by getting the non EWS ECU or eprom and installing it in your EWS1 car. For example you got 1995 M3 with silver 413 ecu, to eliminate the EWS simply get a 506 ecu with brown label from late 1994 production M3. If you got 325i with EWS then just get red label 413, install and enjoy.

How to eliminate (1996-1999) EWS2?

You could do this with a $40 flashing tool and all other information is free on internet, it requires you to download your original flash, modding the flash software, and burning it back into your DME ecu. Even if I wrote step by step procedure how to do it, even with video, it will be complicated to do for person who never worked with computer HEX code language. This requires working with raw HEX code and recalculating checksum, it is not that hard to do but most people don't even know how to find a OBD2 connector on the car so I don't even want to waste my time. I tried to post information on OBD1 ecu modding for free but people like MarkD and other basement ecu tuners cry to moderation to ban me
    I have a 95 320i 95 model m50 engine ( I know some countries doesn't have 320) the dme is siemens ms40.1 9003, I was wondering if I get a 92-94 siemens ms40.1 9002 (non ews2) will it be plug and plug? My car cranks without the dme. My current problem is that it has fuel delivered but no spark. So I assume it faulty ews or dme. I can't find someone in my area to do diagnostics for my car.

Anyone with a solid respond may please help/respond
    E36 320i M50TU20
    ANGEL EYES
    E87 5 STAR MAG RIMS
    OTHERWISE ALL STOCK AND OEM

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    From what I understand, you need a dme with matching ews1, and they need to be aligned?? Theres really a lot of grey area and not alot of help with this stuff

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    Having little trouble with my wife's car right now myself.
    It is a 1995 M3 and it has a RED 413 DME in it with sticker of the VIN of the car.

All i have read so far brought me to think that 95 M3's only had Silver 413 or Brown 506.
    That brings me to my issue, car had a Supercharger installed, 3.5" HFM, Red-Top Injectors, Miller WAR chip.
    I have removed supercharger (my wife really don't need it and doesn't want it), installed DINAN chip, Green-Top Injectors, 3" HFM.
    Car cranks, but doesn't start.

When the Miller Chip was installed, the DME gave Check Engine light for DME checksum, but was running fine.
    Car has a red LED beside the cigarette lighter, does that mean i have EWS1 or EWS2?
    The LED wires look like al other wiring BMW uses, so i don't know.

Do i have a bad DINAN chip?
    Did DME burn up?
    Do i have EWS issue?
    or Do i simply have "mods" issue? (should i install 3.5" HFM, red-top injectors again?)

Tomorrow i will check if the EWS green wire is snipped already or not.

Anyone with an idea, please drop in. Flamesuit is on for search junkies, been searching whole freaking day already.
    "Only after disaster can we be resurrected.", Tyler Durden, Fight Club.

------------------
    CURRENT
    2002 M3 conv - '07; 2006 k1200s - '09; 1998 M3 CB coupe - '10; 2004 X3 - '13

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Did DME burn up?
    Do i have EWS issue?
    It may be that you got EWS1 dinan chip that was made for silver ecu. If miller chip works then DME is not burned up. Checksum check engine is typical for poor work of Miller tuners

Get a stock non EWS chip for your 95 M3. And it will work fine. If you can't find one I will sell you one.

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    this^

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    you guys can officially can call me an idiot.
    20 hundred times i took the DME in and out and i thought is was RED label.
    Well, it's not, it is SILVER 413.

Since the car came with whole bunch of DINAN stickers, it makes me believe that the chip is also correct, but the number is D903-2943-715C3 if anyone can confirm.

Since the DME has my car's VIN number (just checked again), i do not see why would i need DME/EWS alignment. Do I? just because i canged the chip?

I already have RED 413 being shipped to me, can i just drop in a chip for S50 in RED 413 and be done with it?

The green wire was already sliced at DME #66. Do i need to connect it back?

Quote Originally Posted by milovanov View Post
    Having little trouble with my wife's car right now myself.
    It is a 1995 M3 and it has a RED 413 DME in it with sticker of the VIN of the car.

All i have read so far brought me to think that 95 M3's only had Silver 413 or Brown 506.
    That brings me to my issue, car had a Supercharger installed, 3.5" HFM, Red-Top Injectors, Miller WAR chip.
    I have removed supercharger (my wife really don't need it and doesn't want it), installed DINAN chip, Green-Top Injectors, 3" HFM.
    Car cranks, but doesn't start.

When the Miller Chip was installed, the DME gave Check Engine light for DME checksum, but was running fine.
    Car has a red LED beside the cigarette lighter, does that mean i have EWS1 or EWS2?
    The LED wires look like al other wiring BMW uses, so i don't know.

Did DME burn up?
    Do i have EWS issue?
    or Do i simply have "mods" issue? (should i install 3.5" HFM, red-top injectors again?)

Tomorrow i will check if the EWS green wire is snipped already or not.

Anyone with an idea, please drop in. Flamesuit is on for search junkies, been searching whole freaking day already.

------------------
    CURRENT

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    the red dme with dinan chip and snipped #66 should work in theory. Although, a chipped silver dme should work too as long as ews2 has been deleted from the chip.

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    I SOLVED MY ISSUE!

Here is a drop down:
    1) I knew 95 M3 with s50 was 9/95, so research pointed me to 413 Silver DME. Older M3's have 506 Brown DME's.
    2) DINAN chip D903-2943 s correct to my my 413 Silver DME. D903-2941 goes for 506 Brown DME.
    3) Silved 413 DME is EWS2, there is no stock RED 413 for 95 M3.
    4) Splicing green wire is actually wrong for EWS2 car because EWS and DME need to talk to each other.
    5) Aligning DME to EWS on EWS2 car is VERY SIMPLE on DIS.44 (see software section).
    6) Connected Green wire back together, tested the connection with Ohm-Meter from pin 66 on DME to pin #7 on connector and car fired right up!!!

I hope this info helps someone in the future because i really appreciate the help i got from all forum members on bimmerforums and m3forums, previous posts, and all around people that still try to help each other.

------------------
    CURRENT

My Cars
    318ti, 328i e46, e30
    i have the same car.. still looking for a cheap or DIY solution, been out of a car for over a month now.

Quote Originally Posted by platanos View Post
    Thank you for supplying the info in this thread. I've learned quite a few things from the first link.

I have a question though:

I have a 07/95 OBD I M42 318ti (so it's a OBD I, EWS II system) My DME is not sending the pulse signal to my MAF. So, I have two othe DMEs from

DME 1 is a 10/95
    DME 2 is a 05/95

Obviously, none of these DMEs will start the car. I can pay $100 for an EWS delete chip, take it to the dealer for an alignment.

I heard rumors of cutting some wires to bypass EWS....Will this work in my case? What wires need snipped?

Thanks for the help guys!!

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tiguy318 View Post
    i have the same car.. still looking for a cheap or DIY solution, been out of a car for over a month now.
    A little more info please. What year/model is your chassis. And what year/model is your donor. What label dme is it you are trying to use?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Just to clear up some earlier misinformation. EWSI is for cars built before 1/95. The only time EWSI will disable the starting of the car is if its in double lock. Then the ignition is disabled. If you can get in and out of the car then you are not in double lock and EWS is not going to be a reason for the car not starting. You can swap DME's in a EWSI car all day and as long as the DME is the same and it is working you will NOT have EWS issues. example is Red Label 413 DME in a 325. Swap any identical one into your car and it will start right up.

I noticed a few threads above that have some of this mixed up.

My Cars
    '78 Euro e12/'75 2002
    I would just like to say that I did my swap: 1992 obd1 ews0 m50NV into a 1996 obd2 ews2 chassis. I jumped the ews plug inder the dash(pins 2 - 3?). Car wouldnt start, turns out the starter relay for the m50 was under the dash, and the starter relay for the 1996 chassis was on the engine harness. So in the swap I completely removed the relay for the starter. I installed a push button start untill I could install a relay. For those of you not able to start that may be something to consider. Try jumping your starter. As for ews issues, I had none with the ews2>ews0

My Cars
    318ti, 328i e46, e30
    So heres what i found out.
    There are 2 ways to go about this, the DIY way, or the easy way.
    the easy way is to send it to have the DME reprogrammed to delete the EWS2.
    (i have a 95 318ti, obd1 ews2)
    you have the jump the green and black and yellow wire, which will jump the starter.
    then you simple install the new ews and bam, car starts.
    here is the link to the side to get above done (http://rmsonlinestore.com/)
    i however and thinking about doing it the DIY way and will only spend about $50 for parts
    instead of over $400 to have it reprogrammed.
    Parts needed would be an EWS2/ EWS3.2 emulator, and the diagnostics tool
    here is where to get emulator (http://www.wholesalecarkeys.net/bmw-...-emulator.html)
    Here is another site and instructions on how to do so (http://www.caremulator.com/product/b...-emulator.html)
    I also wired a Push Button start and have a switch to turn the key to accessory mode,
    allowing my to start the car without a key. The key is only used to open the doors XD
    Hope this helps guys!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast