Thread: Found a 04 Mini cooper S.need advice

My Cars
    E36 325is

Found a 04 Mini cooper S.need advice

So I found this mini cooper S with 75k on the clock for $10K. Im not that familiar with mini's but it seems to be in very good condition. Id appreciate it if some one can chime in and let me know a few thing about this car such as how reliable it is..maintenance issues etc..thanks in advance.

My Cars
    Spec E-36, 135i, Mini S
    Personal experience with my 04 S

Had to replace the crank pulley, belt tensioner pulley and jockey pulley when the vibration damper came apart at 30K

Just replaced the power steering pump and pump cooling fan at 42K

Both of these failures are typical.

As mine is a standard trans, I can't speak from personal experience but I will warn against the automatics. They commonly fail and are very expensive to replace or repair.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    That doesnt sound too assuring..yikes!!

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    The power steering pump problem can be fixed by putting a shroud over the fan. The pump has a fan to cool it, rocks get stuck in fan, fan stops, pump overheats. They put a shroud on it in 2005 which fixed the problem.

Passenger side motor mounts. Be prepared to replace every 15,000-20,000 miles. Good thing they are cheap and easy to replace!

Cooling system is a flaw just like in BMWs. Check out the expansion tank and the thermostat. If the expansion tank is brown or the thermostat is leaking replace.

If the car has an HK sound system the amps tend to die due to moisture accumulation, this is more frequent on the older ones.

The clutch often times glazes over and chatters-- its harmless but can be annoying.

That's about it as far as problems go. Most of the problems can be avoided by getting a 2005, when they improved the power steering fan design, the thermostat, the amp and the motor mount.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    As with any non-Japanese import car get it checked out before you buy, then you'll know.
    Its allot of car for $10k regardless of the mileage.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

My Cars
    2006 BMW 525i, 2005 MINI Cooper S
    We read a lot about issues with MINIs, but I'm not too sure if that's the majority. I've taken my car on a number of very long road trips as well, have added some light modifications. I do not race my MINI, but drive it somewhat spirited. I don't consider my style of driving as driving it hard.

I have not had any of the major issues that are considered common. Though I do baby my car as far as maintenance goes. I would say my MINI is more reliable than a previous japanese car I had owned in the past.

However, I did recently have to change my top passenger side engine mount. It was pretty inexpensive even to have the dealer do it during a routine oil change.

The only caution I would have is whenever buying a pre-owned car, you never know how it's been treated in the past. So check carefully.

2006 525i, 2005 MINI Cooper S

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335I
    silverbeam, there is a bulletin for chatter why engaging clutch. the auto in the cooper S are not bad its the ones in the cooper(cvt trans). i prefer the supercharged over the turbo minis. but i prefer my bmw over a mini. after working on mini's i like room to strecth out. but the minis comfortable for 2 people don't plan on having people ride with you in the back. then new gen mini's got a little more leg room in the back.

Mods - AFE Stage 2 Pro dry S intake, BMW black Grills, Burger Tuning LED angel eyes

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Bulletins are only good if you are under warranty, no? However, I have records from the previous owner complaining about the sound while I think she was still under warranty and they "could not replicate" or something like that.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    The previous (original) owner of my 06 had the clutch replaced under warranty shortly before I bought it because of the noise, he told me he had to complain about it for 6 months before they finally agreed to replace.
    They told him it was normal, then they told him it was because of his driving style, etc.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335I
    well theres an updated flywheel, and the people doing it are flipping morons, i can make the noise every time, customer complaint only.

Mods - AFE Stage 2 Pro dry S intake, BMW black Grills, Burger Tuning LED angel eyes

My Cars
    C5 Zo6 Fk8 CTR
    After just replacing my oem clutch and flywheel, I can't believe they decided to use a nearly 40lbs flywheel on a 1.6l engine. I replaced it with a ACT ss clutch and flywheel and there is a world of difference in clutch engagement and feel. It revs so much easier no more struggling to take off smooth from a stop light with the a/c on anymore.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Hey guys thanks for all our opinions but I decided not to get a MCs. Instead I got a cheap E36 and I am saving up for a E46 M3.