Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to enable auto-detection with generic INPA/Ediabas interface via 20-pin connector

My Cars
    2000 750iL

Nearly there but could use cable help.

Good evening all,

I'm getting so close to having INPA/EDIABAS and GT1/DIS working but stuck and think it may be the cable. I would like your help please.

I am using WinXP Media Center 2005 and I have what seems to be the same generic cable setup and serial to USB interface as many here. However reading this thread I see that my 20 pin connector has 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20 (jumper from 17) and the cut green wire.

INPA shows ignition on however if I go into some tests/functions I get control module not read. Other functions I can run and seem to work like when it runs through and identifies things and turns the lights on etc. (not quite sure what everything is for yet. That will be the next thing I do once my installs are done and working according to instructions)

DIS will not auto detect and I get a message about Pin 15 and power, sorry don't have the exact message. But after I choose manual, choose my car (2000 750iL build 9/99) and then choose DME or LCM I get error 200.133 and I'm not able to read any modules at all. I haven't been able to do too much more in DIS because it gives me an hourglass then the error after what seems 5+ minutes.

Would that mean that maybe I have that jumper from 16 to 1 but need to link 7 and 8 on the OBD side?

Sorry if I'm not offering enough information however I am not sure how to present the situation without typing a novel of confusing things. Just FYI, I'm not a pro at this and without this and other forums and pictures I'd be stuck worse than now.

Thanks all for reading and responding and helping those less knowledgeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Dell computers with serial ports don't have pin 9 of the serial port activated. That is why one of the first posters was able to use a USB connection and not a serial connection.

My Cars
    BMW E36 320I from 93'
    Is this correct
    have set a switch from OBD II pin @ "1" to "16"
    pic :
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9541/img0990k.jpg

have also tried at jump 20 pin OBD I ( #16 ) To OBD II ( #1 ) ..

But INPA error : 0003 why ? :'(
    Last edited by Usernamehere; 11-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by stritarja View Post
    The easiest and least expensive fix is to attach an external jumper between pin #1 of the interface and #16 of the 20-pin connector as I showed in the first post of this thread:

Or for $12.95 you can buy an OBD extension cable that has all 16 pins wired (http://www.amazon.com/OBD2Cables-144.../dp/B000SBCHCA), cut off the female ODB end and connect the cable with the male end to the 20-pin connector.

For 15 € + shipping you can also buy a OBD/20-pin adapter that already has the ignition connection wired from Do-It-Auto (http://www.calhan.de/product/en/BMW-...MW-20-PIN.html).

I just had to do this. I bought the same cable which listed as having both battery and ignition. They deserve an eBay negative feedback for that. smh

My Cars
    '69,'70 Mustang,'86 Bronco, '02 M3
    Sorry to bring back an old post.
    If you also connect the L-line (pin 15 on the ADS) to the pin 8 of the OBD side of the adapter shown in first post, can you use the EDIABAS-OBD2 interface shown in first post for an E30 or E36? The reason I am asking is I have read a post that stated L-line is pin 8 on the interface, just wanted to verify.
    Ersin
    E46 M3 Ti Silver
    Dinam Stage I seat covers, ///M valve stem caps, ///M license plate frame and manual rear sunshade. Modified stock muffler.These are considered mods right?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by aslanefe View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old post.
    If you also connect the L-line (pin 15 on the ADS) to the pin 8 of the OBD side of the adapter shown in first post, can you use the EDIABAS-OBD2 interface shown in first post for an E30 or E36? The reason I am asking is I have read a post that stated L-line is pin 8 on the interface, just wanted to verify.
    Short answer, no. Those models require an true ADS interface which functions differently (protocols) than the OBD interface.
    Both K lines and L line are needed, so the wiring would work, but only with the right interface (cable).
    You can use the OBD interface on some of the newer E36's, but only to a certain degree, won't be full function for like ABS, Airbags, Transmission, etc....those modules still require an ADS interface.

My Cars
    99 M3 + 2010 Lexus IS350
    I would like to add my little success story here thanks to this thread, so people with the same problem can succeed as well. Here's my problem: I bought the stuff (s/w and OBD-USB cable) from the Romanian guy on eBay thinking that the OBD interface would work with my 99 M3 and my wife's 2001 X5. Well it did not on neither one because of the terminal-15 error. So, I bought an ADS-OBDII adapter and added a wire just like the author of this thread described, and that did it. I also read many other tips and fixes before finding this one, but it turned out that they are not necessary. If you have the same setup as mine, you don't need to mess with the IP address, Ediabas.ini file. Just add the wire and follow the instructions from the romanian guy, which is turning off the firewall and set the USB port that you plug in the cable to COM1.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    You think. You still are not seeing ALL the modules...or if you are its a fluke in timing that will be difficult to reproduce.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 320CI
    solution for auto-detection ?

My Cars
    Canada
    tagged for a future date.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    Reviving an old thread but i just had to replace my old OBD Adapter which recognized battery voltage and ignition perfectly. My new unit does not recognize the ignition signal. What pins do i need to place a jumper on for this to be enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123