Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to enable auto-detection with generic INPA/Ediabas interface via 20-pin connector

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini

How to enable auto-detection with generic INPA/Ediabas interface via 20-pin connector

The "generic" Chinese INPA/Ediabas OBDII interface (I bought mine from ebay seller "blujaysn")

will auto-detect MY >2000-2001 via the OBD interface but not older models via the 20-pin/OBD adapter because the ignition signal is not detected by the 20-pin connector. The OBD side of the interface does have a connection to pin #1 (ignition, terminal 15) - see the small yellow "1" toward the top right of the PCB:

but it is not passed through the OBD to 20-pin adapter. The adapter cable only has 4 conductors, only 3 of which are functional.

One connects OBD #16( battery, terminal 30) to 20-pin #14, the second connects OBD #4/5 (ground) to 20-pin #19, and the third connects OBD #7/8 (TDX1/TDX2) to 20-pin #17/20. (The 4th green conductor is soldered to 20-pin #15 but has no connection to the INPA/Ediabas interface.)

I opened the shells of the 20-pin connector and the interface and soldered an external jumper (the red wire below) between pin#16 of the 20-pin connector and #1 of the INPA/Ediabas interface

and voila!, auto-detection in DIS:

Last edited by stritarja; 08-01-2010 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    00 M5, 01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by stritarja View Post
    The OBD side of the interface does have a connection to pin #1 (ignition, terminal 15) - see the small yellow "1" toward the bottom left of the PCB:

FYI, Yellow "1" is on pin #16. Pin #1, where the jumper is to be soldered to, is on on top of picture on opposite side on the board.

Otherwise it worked for me.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    This is all great...

But....I found that when using this cable set, in INPA/DIS it wont show UBatt and UIgn as discussed via serial port.

But...but....When used with my Belkin USB F5U109 adapter it works.....

Very interesting.....

So could be a driver issue? Thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to say that AutoDetect works in DIS/SSS Progman with USB also....
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 08-01-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Did you connect the jumper like I showed? Shouldn't be any driver issue if ignition signal is passed through the 20-pin connector to the interface.

My Cars
    00 M5, 01 750iL
    Did you connect the jumper like I showed? Shouldn't be any driver issue if ignition signal is passed through the 20-pin connector to the interface.
    I can't really see how you connected it, I soldered pigtail on pin 16 on 20-pin connector and insered wire into pin 1 socket on OBD connector. It didn't work on that pin that you have labeled as "1". On my socket (OBD) it is numbered "16"

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex S View Post
    FYI, Yellow "1" is on pin #16. Pin #1, where the jumper is to be soldered to, is on on top of picture on opposite side on the board.

Otherwise it worked for me.
    Oops - that was the wrong picture. I replaced it with the correct one.

Here's the attachment of the jumper at the interface (yellow arrow):

and at the 20-pin connector:

Last edited by stritarja; 08-01-2010 at 11:42 PM.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Interesting...

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    mine won't auto detect from the OBDII interface. I will have to check my pin 1 and see if it is connected. Thanks for the pictures.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Does this have to be done to the Carsoft interface to autodetect? My interface has never autodetected.
    '84 325e 32k miles | '98 328i 68k miles | '01 Z3 74K miles | '99 F150 64k miles
    PSN ID: Trevor-TC2
    We retrofit headlights, code BMWs, rekey locks and thoroughly detail cars. Interested or curious? PM us.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    This is all great...

But....I found that when using this cable set, in INPA/DIS it wont show UBatt and UIgn as discussed via serial port.

Very interesting.....

No, it is a serial port issue.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    No, it is a serial port issue.
    I assume you mean his serial port may not be configured correctly - battery and ignition detect work with my serial port (a true port, not an adapter).

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Trust me when I tell you that the port is configured correctly. INPA/DIS/Progman work just fine. Just no ubatt/ign indicators.

I dont know how in the world to configure this "better".
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Do you have the same interface shown in my pictures? And did you connect the jumper?

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    I have the same interface...and no I have not connected the jumpers....

lol

THE POINT OF MY POST WAS TO STATE THAT MY INTERFACE WORKED 100% WITH A USB ADAPTOR.

I found that interesting.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)

lol

THE POINT OF MY POST WAS TO STATE THAT MY INTERFACE WORKED 100% WITH A USB ADAPTOR.

I thought you were using the Carsoft interface from Carsoftwest.com?
    We retrofit headlights, code BMWs, rekey locks and thoroughly detail cars. Interested or curious? PM us.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Ill let you in on a secret.

I try all kinds of interfaces.

Im now using the generic INPA/OBDII ebay one.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini

lol

THANKS FOR CLARIFYING THAT

But it's hard to read between the lines when you don't say exactly what your doing. I assume you're using the 20-pin connector with your 740i's, correct? If you are, and your 20-pin/OBDII adapter is wired the same way my "generic INPA/OBDII" interface/cable was when I got it, there's no way you can detect ignition on/off without a jumper, whether you're using a true serial port or a USB adapter. I'm not sure what you mean by "INPA/DIS/Progman work just fine. Just no ubatt/ign indicators." Can you auto-detect in DIS without the ubatt/ign indicators working in INPA?

Maybe all "generic INPA/OBDII ebay" interface and cable sets that look like mine are not the same.

It would sure help if you would open yours up and see if the interface has the same pcb (EDIABAS-OBD2 Rev.2.00) and is wired the same way mine is, and how the 20-pin adapter is wired. If the internals of your interface and cable are different than mine, it would also be helpful if you post some pictures and also let us know where you bought it.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Trust me when I tell you that the port is configured correctly. INPA/DIS/Progman work just fine. Just no ubatt/ign indicators.

I dont know how in the world to configure this "better".
    What exact computer are you using?

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    So how can auto-detection be enabled using the Carsoft interface? I have never been able to auto-detect.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    some of these interfaces are not do auto-detect - chinese quality, just ignore it and use manual , even w/o auto-detect they work fine

Last edited by champaign777; 08-12-2010 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by fourcylfox View Post
    mine won't auto detect from the OBDII interface. I will have to check my pin 1 and see if it is connected. Thanks for the pictures.
    What did you find out? Does your interface have the same pcb mine does? Was pin #1 connected? Your '02 525i doesn't have a 20-pin port under the hood does it?

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    This is all great...

Very interesting.....

I was stating that I have this EXACT INPA/OBDII interface. Auto detect DOES NOT work in DIS and uBatt/uIgn did not work in INPA. But interface works to diagnose and code just fine. Just as we know.

lol

Im stating that with my BELKIN USB F5U109 Serial/USB connector, that Auto Detect DID work in DIS and uBatt/uIgn WORKS fine in INPA. Same interface. No modifications to interface.

THANKS FOR CLARIFYING THAT

But it's hard to read between the lines when you don't say exactly what your doing. I assume you're using the 20-pin connector with your 740i's, correct? If you are, and your 20-pin/OBDII adapter is wired the same way my "generic INPA/OBDII" interface/cable was when I got it, there's no way you can detect ignition on/off without a jumper, whether you're using a true serial port or a USB adapter. I'm not sure what you mean by "INPA/DIS/Progman work just fine. Just no ubatt/ign indicators." Can you auto-detect in DIS without the ubatt/ign indicators working in INPA?

Maybe all "generic INPA/OBDII ebay" interface and cable sets that look like mine are not the same.

It would sure help if you would open yours up and see if the interface has the same pcb (EDIABAS-OBD2 Rev.2.00) and is wired the same way mine is, and how the 20-pin adapter is wired. If the internals of your interface and cable are different than mine, it would also be helpful if you post some pictures and also let us know where you bought it.

Im saying that my interface DOES work 100% in INPA and DIS with my Belkin USB adaptor. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    What exact computer are you using?
    Dell M600 and Lenovo Thinkpad. Serial port is on the Dell. I use both with the USB adaptor.

So...am I making myself clear now?

Cliffs notes: Using this INPA/OBDII interface unmodified:

INPA does not detect battery or ignition and DIS does not autodetect, but interface works functionally for coding and diagnosis.

But with this Belkin F5U109 USB/Serial interface:

INPA does see battery and ignition signals and DIS autodetects.

More pics of interface to show its the same unit:

My green wire is not attached:

So...gents....Why is this? It can only be a software issue I think. Drivers for serial port? Obviously the drivers for the USB/serial are able to overcome this.
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 08-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Iceman:

Your 20-pin connector wiring may be different from mine. Only 5 pins are wired in my 20-pin plug, #14, 15, 17, 19 and 20 (jumper from 17):

Your picture is too blurry to tell for sure but there appears to be solder on 6 pins, including what I think is #16 (red arrow):

Is there a connection to #16? If so, that would explain why you get ignition-on in INPA and auto-detect in DIS.

The Dell Latitude 600 serial port is known not to work right (see INPA_FAQ in David's 4shared NCS folder). May be the reason your Dell M600 serial port doesn't auto-detect.
    Last edited by stritarja; 08-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Yes. I apologize for the confusion and bad pics. Im on the road and just have my phone cam.

I will investigate and report back.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Here's my setup. I am not getting the ignition presence in INPA. I'm using the Best Buy Dynex USB-Serial adapter. I can perform diag, coding and the like, but auto detect does not work. It looks like it could all be up to the usb-serial adapter. I'm going to amazon a belkin unit right now, and see if that makes the difference.

2005 Lenovo n100 3000
    40gb HDD
    2GB DDR
    1.8ghz Intel Centrino Duo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast