Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Custom iPhone dock - ashtray replacement

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITE E39 View Post
    sorry for the delay and bad pics. hard to take pics at night.
    very nice!

here are some pics of the much anticipated ///M

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    joshs540i
    I would paint the inside of the holder so you don't see the blurrr under the emblem.

My Cars
    2000 M5 carbon blk/blk
    Dude that is sick! I'll take one where do I send pay pal?! I'm gonna search on hooking it up the way you have yours, but is there a way to make it charge too?

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    I'm having problems posting picks thru the forum.

this is with the lights off:

My Cars
    2000 m5 e39
    i would consider purchasing one if it were in a more reclined position for better functionality and less chance of snapping off. keep us posted

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    yes like where the cup holders, used to be..

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITE E39 View Post
    joshs540i
    I would paint the inside of the holder so you don't see the blurrr under the emblem.
    I kind of like the blur, adds a little more depth, but I could try painting it.

Quote Originally Posted by haterclothing View Post
    i would consider purchasing one if it were in a more reclined position for better functionality and less chance of snapping off. keep us posted
    It actually is in a more reclined position than in the photos, I sit with the drivers seat all the way forward and I can read the whole screen.

Quote Originally Posted by martialartsblac View Post
    yes like where the cup holders, used to be..
    my concerns with this are that the device will block the HVAC controls, but I can look into designing one.

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    i thought of this too but the HVAC is on auto. well i mostly have it on that. and the buttons are what? recycle? a/c? and you can always undock you phone to push those.
    id like to be able to see whos calling, or if my radio is too loud i can see instead of hear it ring. some times i use an ipod touch in place of my i phone so i may not hear it ring at all while using my ipod as a cd changer.

id try my hand at integrating a dock but after seeing your work.....

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    ok so have we looked into a cup holder area design? and i have a GROM v2 ipod integration kit in my car, would the cable plug into the mount you designed? or would i have to route it up thru the mount and glue it in?

My Cars
    '01 330xi-Bye! '01 540i
    My god that is a masterpiece. Really phenomenal!

Once I get my mediabridge (hopefully Christmas) I'll be sending you a PM to order one.

((oOO) \||]'[||/ (OOo))

My Cars
    99 528iT
    This is sweet! I'll be ordering one for myself for Christmas.
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    I would pay 75 including shipping for one.

My Cars
    e39540,335i,M3,e60550i
    Nice Job my man looks great ! You should make a bunch of those and sell them ! I would buy one !

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by bammbamme39 View Post
    Nice Job my man looks great ! You should make a bunch of those and sell them ! I would buy one !
    Have you read this thread? THAT IS WHAT HE IS DOING!
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    540iA
    Very excited, just got mine in the UK. I went stealth, just the apple logo. Will post photo's when it's warm enough outside to install!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Got mine yesterday(fast shipping!) and installed it today. The dock was well-packaged and the top face well-protected with painter's tape. I went with the BMW with Apple logo and black background with ipod cable. The difficult part was the drilling which took me a while to make a good-sized hole for the cable. Bless my neighbor who lent me his drill set. Here are some pics post install:

I like how it improves the aesthetics of the car. I went with the ipod cable and it came glued to the dock already. No problems hooked up to my USA-spec cable. Cover closes fine. No clearance issues. Great product and reasonable price!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya

Looking fantastic in those pictures taggart! but what is that 'warning' sticker?!!

Wreeve - please post pics after our 'arctic blast' goes! and let everyone you know here UK side about the product

Joshs540i -I'll be in touch!

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hiya

Looking fantastic in those pictures taggart! but what is that 'warning' sticker?!!

Thanks Dennis! I never bothered to read on that warning sticker haha. Will post when I find out.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    That is awesome!

Too bad there isn't a solution for the droid

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya Fmzip,

Android is an operating system and it's on many different shapes of hardware. There's a possibility if demand increases for Joshs540i, that he'll make other docks to fit other shaped phones as well. As the Apple connector is common on the ipod touch and phone, and it's quite a 'sturdy fit' I believe, that helps 'hold' the unit in place within the dock. Many other phones have different connectors and as such might be difficult to keep them upright well enough to be used within a moving vehicle. I have the HTC HD2 for instance, and along the bottom edge is just the mini USB charging port and the 3.5mm headphone socket. There's no connector that's quite 'substantial' like the Apple one so would require more engineering time to make something up for this handset. Multiply that across all the myriad of phones out there, and it soon becomes a much more difficult task to do. That said, I hope other handsets can indeed be incorporated

My Cars
    BLK E39 540/6 95 AVUS M3
    anyone use this with a manual transmission?

Chad Andreo Photography
    Engine: CAI, Catless and Dinan Exhaust
    Exterior: Slammed on FK Coilovers, 6K HIDS and 6K CCFL's, M5 Front Bumper, M5 Side Mirrors
    Interior: Sound System, ZHP Knob

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Dennis, the sticker is warning about airbag danger to children, etc. Similar to the ones found on the sunvisors. Guess they don't have that in the UK?

Btw my cousin tried his Iphone4 onto the dock and it works well! No issues with hitting the phone so far but clearance is tight. I have no issues though since I use a 3rd gen Ipod Nano as pictured.

Am interested in the manual setups too.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya

Taggart - Nope, UK spec cars don't have the sticker's plonked there and in all the pictures of Californian BMWs and E39's, your's is the only one I've seen !

I'm going to put forward the suggestion that the dock would be zero issue with a manual transmission car. I know the iPods etc will stick up roughly the height of the devices themselves, but I'd have thought even when shifting into 2nd or 4th, an elbow wouldn't reach that far back to start to hit a device sitting in the dock. Understandable concern at this stage, but one I think will pan out to be a non issue. Unless of course someone has unusually long arms , at which point I'd say change to an iPod nano thingy so it's alot smaller ! (tongue in cheek!)

*ETA** just was out in my car and yes, perhaps with a iPod touch in the dock, there is a chance an elbow might catch on the top of it. So, change to one of those biscuit sized iPods instead

Last edited by DennisCooper; 01-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hiya

Taggart - Nope, UK spec cars don't have the sticker's plonked there and in all the pictures of Californian BMWs and E39's, your's is the only one I've seen !

Dennis,

Now that you mention it, I don't see it in other E39s. Maybe PO looks sue-happy.

Still having fun with my dock. Can't get over how nice it looks especially at night. Also got into the habit of removing the Nano and hiding the dock after a trip. Less chances of burglary and battery drainage issues if ever.

My Cars
    2003 530i Spt; 2007 M6
    I'd get one too...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast