Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Custom iPhone dock - ashtray replacement

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Hey Josh,

If I order the insert without a connector. If I plan to buy the DICE iPod integration unit, how would I attach the cable they supply, or really how do you connect any iPod connector cable to the bottom insert hole? The entire metal portion of an iPod connector must go into the iPod/iPhone.

Is the hole you create big enough to fit the entire cable through and then just glue around the plastic casing just below the metal connector to attach it?

EDIT: Sorry, is the hole you create big enough to fit the connector and the plastic jacket through? And then just glue the plastic jacket to your insert?

Thanks,
    Tanner
    Last edited by tjhearne; 08-01-2010 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Tanner,
    I’m not sure about the Dice kit specifically, but most aftermarket iPod connectors have a 2 piece housing around the connector that is easily removed (usually held on by tabs that you can release with a small flathead screwdriver). The hole in the dock is just the right size for the connectors base(the part that sits inside the housing) to sit firmly in place with a little glue, this way the connector can completely connect to the device. If you dont think you will be able to mount the connector that comes with the dice I would recommend getting the dock with the pass-thru cable.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by tjhearne View Post
    Hey Josh,

If I order the insert without a connector. If I plan to buy the DICE iPod integration unit, how would I attach the cable they supply, or really how do you connect any iPod connector cable to the bottom insert hole? The entire metal portion of an iPod connector must go into the iPod/iPhone.

Is the hole you create big enough to fit the entire cable through and then just glue around the plastic casing just below the metal connector to attach it?

EDIT: Sorry, is the hole you create big enough to fit the connector and the plastic jacket through? And then just glue the plastic jacket to your insert?

Thanks,
    Tanner

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs540i View Post
    Tanner,
    I’m not sure about the Dice kit specifically, but most aftermarket iPod connectors have a 2 piece housing around the connector that is easily removed (usually held on by tabs that you can release with a small flathead screwdriver). The hole in the dock is just the right size for the connectors base(the part that sits inside the housing) to sit firmly in place with a little glue, this way the connector can completely connect to the device. If you dont think you will be able to mount the connector that comes with the dice I would recommend getting the dock with the pass-thru cable.

Josh
    Is the pass-thru cable a male connector attached to the cigarette tray insert that has a female connector on the bottom that you can plug any ipod cable into?

If that is the case, if the ipod pass-thru cable that is provided with your insert has any issues is there any guarantee on the connector?

Thanks so much,
    Tanner

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Yes, but there is a cable in between the male and female ends.
    Yes I will guarantee it.
    Is the pass-thru cable a male connector attached to the cigarette tray insert that has a female connector on the bottom that you can plug any ipod cable into?

If that is the case, if the ipod pass-thru cable that is provided with your insert has any issues is there any guarantee on the connector?

Thanks so much,
    Tanner

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    now can you incorporate an aux 3.5mm jack into that ?

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    perhaps you are looking for charger+line out?

Quote Originally Posted by BEEMDUB View Post
    now can you incorporate an aux 3.5mm jack into that ?

My Cars
    1998 332ti
    Being an apple fan, and an BMW fan.
    I must say, nice work.

"On your path to progress, I'll be the only thing standing in your way."

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Hey Josh,

How do I order?

Tanner

My Cars
    2003 525i Sport
    I am working on the ///M, would you want the logo to be clear or colored?

Can you post a pic of one clear? I think the red back light would look great.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Hey Josh,

I'd like to order. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Tanner

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Hey Josh,

I'd like to order. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Tanner
    email me at my user name at gmail.com

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Stumbled across this looking for ideas for my M Coupe. Very nice solution. Well done Josh. I wish there was something like this for my car...

BTW, you can set up PayPal "buttons" for each option. It would help you eliminate the manual payments. If you want help setting it up, feel free to email me.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Dude...I was gonna make my own ashtray dock but yours looks WAY cooler! I was just gonna cut a passthrough in the bottom of the ashtray and then epoxy one of the iPod dock adapters into the ashtray itself. It would illuminate the ashtray as normal and yet still allow the iPod to dock.

However, after seeing yours, I'd rather buy one from you! LOL

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Yeah. Design looks pretty proper. So if I have the DICE unit would that mean I would have to jimmy the line up into the ash tray?

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by x13alle12x View Post
    Yeah. Design looks pretty proper. So if I have the DICE unit would that mean I would have to jimmy the line up into the ash tray?
    I do believe the correct answer would be "Yes"!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    very nice mod.

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    ok i dont see any pictures of this!!!! post please

My Cars
    2007 BMW E92 325i Coupe
    Could you make one to go onto my Dynavin unit when it comes? i think it just needs to be a USB into the headunit, so any USB iPod cable would work.

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    Stumbled across this looking for ideas for my M Coupe. Very nice solution. Well done Josh. I wish there was something like this for my car...

BTW, you can set up PayPal "buttons" for each option. It would help you eliminate the manual payments. If you want help setting it up, feel free to email me.
    Thanks, Im hoping to be able to design similar docks for different cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Dude...I was gonna make my own ashtray dock but yours looks WAY cooler! I was just gonna cut a passthrough in the bottom of the ashtray and then epoxy one of the iPod dock adapters into the ashtray itself. It would illuminate the ashtray as normal and yet still allow the iPod to dock.

However, after seeing yours, I'd rather buy one from you! LOL
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by x13alle12x View Post
    Yes, any way you go you will have to pass a line into the ashtray compartment which involves some drilling. I am working on making a connector that will plug into the round connector on Dice/Icelink, etc. this way the hole doesnt have to be as big.

Quote Originally Posted by martialartsblac View Post
    ok i dont see any pictures of this!!!! post please
    Pictures are in my original post, pg 1
    Quote Originally Posted by willymanilly View Post
    Could you make one to go onto my Dynavin unit when it comes? i think it just needs to be a USB into the headunit, so any USB iPod cable would work.
    Yes, I have a model with USB out.

My Cars
    00 323it, 01 540, 06 x5
    Josh did a great job on mine, well done! And shipping was quick.I think for iPod ready radio units ppl would need a cord like the one you did for me Josh .need to be able plug into the one that came from the factory " so it's long enough" to reach.
    I never look for trouble. If it looks for me, I'm usually around

My Cars
    2000 M5 carbon blk/blk
    Josh,
    I have an M5 and I'd like one with a clear M logo. My car has a phone and the Nav unit so I have no inputs. Can you explain a little on how you have yours wired up? You said you have to use the phone to control it?

My Cars
    03 ///M5 - 11 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMikeS13 View Post
    Josh,
    I have an M5 and I'd like one with a clear M logo. My car has a phone and the Nav unit so I have no inputs. Can you explain a little on how you have yours wired up? You said you have to use the phone to control it?
    The way i have mine wired is using the stock radios aux input. there are a few DIYs out there on how to do this. since I have Nav the radio is located in the trunk, so rather than run audio cable up to the center console from the trunk I used some of the unused wires in the phone harness that go to the trunk. I have bluetooth from a ULF but there are still plenty of unused wires.

the down side of doing it this way is you do not have control of the device from the steering wheel, etc.
    the up side is that you can still use your cd changer.

Josh

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    I did this mod to my car but with out the ipod holder and I have to tell everyone it's very nice.

everyone that looks at it at night just loves it. some even ask if it came like that from BMW.

I will try to get some pics tonight.

good luck joshs540i

My Cars
    e36 M3turbo,86 330,e36
    I agree, You should really sell these.I would also pick one up From you. Really nice work man

My Cars
    2003 525I/1965 BUGGY
    sorry for the delay and bad pics. hard to take pics at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast