Thread: Whats the difference between X3 (xdrive) & 330xi AWD?

My Cars
    05 M3, 06 STI, 00 Outback

Question Whats the difference between X3 (xdrive) & 330xi AWD?

*topic*

My Cars
    Originally posted by BimmerDawg

The reason it's so advanced is because of the way that it transfers power. Under normal driving conditions, the torque is 100% at the rear wheels, but the system has the power to split the power up to 100% to the FRONT wheels, or any combination in between. For comparison, the '03 X5 system splits the power 32/68% front-rear, and that's it. So, if you had, for instance, one front tire with traction and the other three without, only 19% of torque is getting to that one wheel. With X-Drive, up to 50% of torque can go to one wheel.

Also, the system senses when there is wheelspin before it even happens, based on your inputs to the vehicle. The VW Touareg has a similar setup in that it can split power 100/0% or 0/100% front/rear just like the X3, but it relies on wheelspin to occur first before it reacts, unlike the X3 which senses it ahead of time.

They did a comparison of a typical AWD system found in a new Ford Explorer. They had a skid pad with sand thrown on it, and accelerated in the Explorer...the front wheels started to push out, and since the system sensed understeer and slippage, it sent more power to the front wheels, resulting in more understeer, lots of flattened cones and a few BMW salesmen scurrying for their lives.

Then they got in the X3 and did the same thing...it stayed in an almost perfect circle, b/c the X-Drive realized that there was slippage in the front with the front wheels turned, so it cut the power to the front wheels and sent more to the rear ones. It was truly an eye-opening experience, as you saw first-hand just how much better X-Drive is than a typical AWD system.

Oh yeah...no explanation for the Cherubs...I guess they need to hire some more Marketing people (hint, hint...)

I found this quote in another thread. So I guess that answers my question, but it also gives me two new questions:

1) Will x-drive be offered in the 330xi next year?

2) Would you want this system in the 330xi if it was? i.e. Would x-drive be better in the 330xi then the current system or is it more suited for an SUV?

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    That's hot. I doubt they'd put the new system in the 3 series until they change body styles. When is that slated for? 2006?

It may even cancel out AWD drivetrain loss when the car is in 100% RWD mode... or at least lower the loss. That's really sweet.

My Cars
    I'm thinking about getting the xi also because of the winters plus I live in an area with some hills and AWD really makes a difference on hills. BMW is known for RWD though and I feel like I should get the RWD model, but the xi would be more practical. A lot of people tell me if I'm going the AWD route I should get the Audi Quattro, but the xi has better weight distribution then the A4 and I also think it looks better inside and out. xi has better seats too. I just wonder if I get an xi now, next year are they going to put the I-drive system in the 3 series? Somehow it seems to be more designed with an SUV in mind, though then a sports sedan. I'm not sure I'd like to hear some comments about all this.

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    Originally posted by Moderato
    I'm thinking about getting the xi also because of the winters plus I live in an area with some hills and AWD really makes a difference on hills. BMW is known for RWD though and I feel like I should get the RWD model, but the xi would be more practical. A lot of people tell me if I'm going the AWD route I should get the Audi Quattro, but the xi has better weight distribution then the A4 and I also think it looks better inside and out. xi has better seats too. I just wonder if I get an xi now, next year are they going to put the I-drive system in the 3 series? Somehow it seems to be more designed with an SUV in mind, though then a sports sedan. I'm not sure I'd like to hear some comments about all this.
    I drove a 2000 A4 1.8T Quatro and my 2001 325xi. No contest. The Audi AWD may be a little better, but mine still gets the job done. And the Bimmer pretty much does everything else better. Of course, I haven't tested mine in snow yet. Looking forward to that.