Thread: BMW roundel history

My Cars
    98 318 Ti

BMW roundel history

Inspirations for the BMW roundel

ca. 1200

Traditional flag of Bavaria; white and blue lozenges. There were always several versions of this flag - some of them had just two wide vertical or horizontal white and blue stripes (as on official Bavarian Republic 1919 flag) .

after 1900
    Logo of the Bayern Football Club established in 1900. Hated by the Nazis as the Jewish club - FC Bayern Munich had from the beginning Bavarian lozenges in its logo.

Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke (Bavarian Arircraft Works) was created. The company uses the letters BFW as a short form of its name. First roundels are in use, still without the letters at the top..

The legend: An artistic vision of an inspiration behind the BMW roundel. A drawing executed for the BMW advert from 1929, explains the idea behind the logo: a silver propeler blades turn with high speed creating an illusion of an object. A publication in 1942 by Wilhelm Fahrenkopf confirms the airplane propeller as an inspiration of the logo, but this information might habe been infulenced by the fact that because of the war BMW had to concentrate on the production of the aircraft engines while car production has been braught to a halt

Bayerische Motoren Werke G.m.b.H. was created in 1917 and transformed in March of 1918 into the public company BMW AG. Being originally the aircraft engine company, while as a result of the Treaty of Versaille (June of 1919) Germany was not allowed to produce the airplanes, BMW stepped into the production of engines for boats and agriculture and later producing motorycles and cars.
    One of the first uses of the BMW logo in a BMW engines advert from 1919.

╗ An evolution of the BMW logo roundel:

0n October 5, 1917 Franz-Josef Popp files for the registration of the BMW logo in the Germany's Imperial Trademark Roll; it has been registered on December 10, 1917 under the number: 221388

On the left BMW logo in a 1918 BMW engines advert.

ca. 1920
    On the left one of the first BMW emblem's in use. First emblems were 6,1 cm big, casted by Plafa Factory in Jena, with emaille colors, white, blue, black and metal gold. They were fixed on the motorcycles with two screws.

BMW roundel on a R42 motorcycle

More decorative, with ornamental letter BMW emblem on the first BMW car - model Dixi from 1928.

an illustration with the BMW logo from a brochure of the BMW model 3/20: the letters are simplified and presented without serifs.

Simple thin yellow letters without serifs, blue and white fields equal, the logo is surrounded by a decorative rim.

BMW badge on the 309 model from 1934.

BMW logo in a 328 model brochure. Please note that the letter types have changed.

BMW roundel on a motorcycle from 1939. The letters stay very close together. Yellow color comes from brass layer on the emblem's front. Letter 'B' got slightly modernized.

1940 The letter types have changed again and moved apart to the sides.
    A BMW motorcycle roundel from 1940.

ca. 1941
    The letters remain apart, they grow bigger. Golden color has been replaced by silver.

A roundel on a BMW car during the WWII, at the end of the civil cars production.

ca. 1949
    Again the letters in gold, but this is a motorcycle roundel.
    A roundel on the BMW motorcycle just after the WWII. BMW as one of the companies working for the Nazi Germany war effort, was not allowed to produce cars at the time. Only in Eisenach in East Germany, in the Soviet Occupation Zone the cars were produced, initially under the BMW badge and from 1952 under the EMW brand (Eisenacher Motorenwerk) and with the red white lozenges logo. The total of 30 400 cars were produced at Eisenach up to the end of 1955, stemming out of BMW constructions.

The BMW logo on a motorcycle R 51/3 tank emblem. Letters became smaller and they are placed more to the top of the roundel.

BMW logo on Isetta car.

A version of the BMW logo in a factory publication, at the time of Isetta car.
    Please note that the letters lost its serifs and that the letter B has a distinctive design while other letters were simplified.

from 1960
    BMW roundel as the actual emblem on the car's body. Letter B becomes uniformed with other letters. All letters become bolder. A wide silver chrome ring was added on the outside. Blue lozenges are a bit bigger than white.

ca. 1970
    BMW roundel logo with an additional chrome ring around.

Motorcycle emblem with two screws and a small silver ring around while blue and white lozenges get equal.

after 1970

Simple, bold letters are used. The inside white and blue lozenges are bigger in proportion to the letters. The outside ring becomes thin.
    Since ca.1995 BMW begins to use three-dimensional logo on its all brand publications.

The actual BMW badge on a BMW 628 CSi E24 car. The badge remains unchanged.

BMW badge today. Since 1971 changes if there are any, are almost not noticeable. The black ring became slightly thinner and as a result letters became smaller and more separated.

╗ BMW logo - changed by law :

1934 - 1939

Frazer-Nash has been an official BMW importer in England befor the WW2. The firm imported BMW cars in elements and assembled giving them its name. With the beginning of the WW2 by Germany, England defending Poland declared war on Hitler's Germany and Frazer-Nash BMW logo has not been used anymore. After the war Bristol and Frazer-Nash continued building BMW cars, sometimes only with minor changes, but the roundel has not been used.

1946 - 1953

While BMW has not been allowed after WWII to build cars, a small German firm Veritas established in Me▀kirch in Baden, used BMW 328 chassis and its driving train with new bodies to participate in car races. These beautiful cars were largely inspired by the 1940 BMW Mille Miglia Roadster. The logo they bared had some elements of the roundel, but not quite. A reversed Mercedes-like driving wheel served as a roundel. And while BMW was reborn in Munich, because of the strict atmosphere in the American Occupation Zone, Veritas chose as its base the city in the French zone.

1952 - 1955

BMW factory in Eisenach as a result of WW2 happened to be in the Soviet Occupation Zone of the Post-Nazi Germany and kept producing cars, at first, since 1945 the pre-war types badged as BMW, later - from 1952 as a result of the court order as EMW (Eisenacher Motorenwerk).

ca. 1952 East German EMW logo with added letters in the middle.

2005-2009

Chinese car maker BYD has been inspired not only by the BMW cars styling, but also by the BMW roundel. Not only BYD F6 car looks very similar to the BMW 7 series, BYD's roundel reminds us the emblem of BMW, but technically BMW and BYD cars are worlds apart.. Things change fast in China and today the BYD is at the forefront of the electric car research, it has Warren Buffet with $232 million as an investor and a new logo, which this time looks more like the one of the Korean car maker KIA. Amazingly thousands of cars BYD produces today still bear the old white and blue flattened roundel. We understand why.

╗ BMW logo - looking for a change:

1978-1981

An attempt to create a separate emblem for the BMW Motorsport division cars. A similar design version, but in grey and black, has been already used by BMW on a steering wheel of M1 (E25; 1978-1981), and on E12 M535i (1980-1981), but never on body nor wheels of the cars. The idea has been forsaken on M635 CSi (E24; 1984-1989).

April Fool BMW has garnered a reputation over the years for its April Fools pranks, which are printed in the British press every year. In 2010, they ran an advert announcing that customers would be able to order BMWs with different coloured badges to show their affiliation with the political party they supported.

James
    My M30 carb intake

My Cars
    Duke - '82 320i

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    I haven't looked at all the latest details on this submitted info, so this tidbit may be in there. My research and recollection was that the "propellor" origin was just a cover for the blue and white (anyone ever seen a white propellor???) roundel. The actual origin WAS the crest/flag of Bavaria, but the trademark restrictions stated that national symbols could not be co-oped for corporation logos. It was from this detail the spinning propellor origin developed.

Some Cliff Claven information for you....
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    98 318 Ti

legion roundel

Im not a E21 Legion guy but be cool to have a legion roundel !!!

James
    My M30 carb intake

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Yes you are a Legion member by default. You own and relate to E21's, therefore you have been co-oped nonetheless.

Ha! Check my photopage. I have a roundrel that says, "neu klass, old school" okay it's strictly for the older models, but it's meaning rings true for us E21 owners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midlifebmw; 07-23-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    98 318 Ti

just add more info

My M30 carb intake