Thread: Windshield wiper arm removal

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i

Windshield wiper arm removal

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble here, I can't figure out how to remove my drivers side wiper arm assembly. I'm replacing the bottom plastic windshield trim piece and can't finish until I get that arm off. Thanks!
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    There is a wiper arm puller for that. I can usually get it off without it. By wobbling the assemble around. You can probably use a battery cable puller but be careful not to damage the threaded area.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    They can be pretty stubborn
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Do you have the 13mm bolt or the T50 there?

Put the wiper in the middle position and turn off the ignition, this relieves the tension on the arm

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Out here (Calif.) Autozone "lends" a couple of different types of gear pullers. I "borrrowed" both sets when I needed to pull my drivers side windsheild wiper arm. You basically buy the tools, then get a complete refund when you bring them back in good condition.

That wiper arm was way tougher to remove than it should have been! Also, be careful not to put to much pressure on the windsheild itself. You don't want to accidentally crack it.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Thanks for the help, I got it off with no tools...I just unbolted it and ran the wipers twice as slow as I could it and it came off without too much trouble.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Here's one of the greatest understatements I've seen; I've had the experience of trying lately and will look for a puller.

- - - Updated - - -

Great comment about the windshield; I was thinking the same thing while trying to get the arm off. I need to get a puller.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people have all the luck; you are blessed.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Wiper Arm Puller/Wiper Arm Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    There is a wiper arm puller for that. I can usually get it off without it. By wobbling the assemble around. You can probably use a battery cable puller but be careful not to damage the threaded area.
    Just used a puller from set received from Advance Auto on loan to pull wipers on 2001 740i and worked like a charm. Also helps if you push down on wiper arms when trying to remove from the posts. Windshield wiper fix for wipers that stop in the middle of the windshield rather than properly park at the bottom of the windshield also was accomplished today. Trying to rely on a previous post was a bad idea. I think they had a totally different model of 7 series, even though it was listed under the e38 section.

Should anyone need a refresher on this subject, I would be glad to respond. As a bonus, I ended taking out the windshield guard, the air handler with two openings, and finally the cover over the wiper motor; which the previous post was not correct about what it was and where it was located.