Thread: Mishimoto so far so good

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi

Mishimoto so far so good

Made a dry run for fitment of Mishimoto E36 Radiator in a 2000 2.3 Z3 with stock air box, as some others pointed out looks like it fits without much issue, will let you all know if there are any issues when done.

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    did you do a fan delete?
    Sold

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Don't plan to at this time, unless there is some unforeseen fitment issue with the fan.

My Cars
    1999 M3 S/C, 2001 525iA
    Did you finish the install? Are you going to use the OEM expansion tank and fan shroud? I have almost the exact same setup and the lower radiator hose, on the passanger side, is obstructed by the fan shroud and becomes a little mis-shapen when put on.

1999 M3
    2001 525iA

2007 F150 Sold
    1995 M3 Sold
    1987 528e Sold
    1985 325e Sold

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessTurbo View Post
    Did you finish the install? Are you going to use the OEM expansion tank and fan shroud? I have almost the exact same setup and the lower radiator hose, on the passanger side, is obstructed by the fan shroud and becomes a little mis-shapen when put on.
    I just finished, I did use the OEM expansion tank and fan shroud - my expansion tank is near the back so that is certainly no issue. The fan shroud I did trim around the lower radiator hose slightly - to allow the fan shroud a little more room around that - I also trimmed the tabs a little to allow the shroud to fit in a little lower - fitting the fan shroud was really the only hassle..

Filled, Bled, and took for a trip, everything appears to be working good.

My Cars
    1999 M3 S/C, 2001 525iA
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    I just finished, I did use the OEM expansion tank and fan shroud - my expansion tank is near the back so that is certainly no issue. The fan shroud I did trim around the lower radiator hose slightly - to allow the fan shroud a little more room around that - I also trimmed the tabs a little to allow the shroud to fit in a little lower - fitting the fan shroud was really the only hassle..

Filled, Bled, and took for a trip, everything appears to be working good.

Okay, awesome. I thought I was going to have to trim it up a bit. Also, what did you use to attach the fan shroud tabs to the radiator?

Also, was the lower hose a little deformed?
    Last edited by UselessTurbo; 07-19-2010 at 01:45 PM.

1999 M3
    2001 525iA

2007 F150 Sold
    1995 M3 Sold
    1987 528e Sold
    1985 325e Sold

My Cars
    Z3
    I did this months ago, of course it fits.

My Cars
    99 528iT
    The Mishimoto looks identical to the VSL radiator I put on the M Roadster, even the same color caps on the hose fittings.
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessTurbo View Post
    Okay, awesome. I thought I was going to have to trim it up a bit. Also, what did you use to attach the fan shroud tabs to the radiator?

Also, was the lower hose a little deformed?
    I didn't notice any deformation of the hose inlet of rad, if that's what you mean - I think the tank symmetry leaves a little to be desired, might depend on who welded it..

Don't kill me if I am wrong but M6x12 is what I think I used for fan shroud screws, do a search, that's is where I found out..

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
    I did this months ago, of course it fits.
    Just wanted to confirm for others the fitment for a M52TU 2000 2.3!

Did you have any post on the SPAL install? I might go this route someday, might be nice to not have shroud and fan/clutch..

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post
    The Mishimoto looks identical to the VSL radiator I put on the M Roadster, even the same color caps on the hose fittings.
    I would put money that these are both produced by same manufacturer, Mishi has better warranty, VSL supplies the screws and grommets..
    Last edited by ZGator; 07-19-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Z3
    Yeah, made a thread or two about it, search under my name.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post
    i was thinking the same thing.... are they the same price as well ?

i am understanding the VSL has a lifetime warranty on this radiator.

"VSL Performance, warrants the E36 radiator for a limited lifetime as long as you own your car. For a defective product (does not include improper installation or damage by external forces, accidents etc.....), VSL will replace the original product. Warranty claims must be accompanied by the original sales receipt from an authorized dealer."
    Last edited by Racerman27410; 07-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
    i was thinking the same thing.... are they the same price as well ?
    Good possibility that they are the same since they don't manufacture the radiators themselves.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Raising this from the dead because it's mine, and I thought I give an update 7+ years on.. how about that?

Well, after these 7+ years this Mishimoto radiator developed a leak - I am noticing some coolant on the bottom of it on the passenger side. Time to test the Mishimoto lifetime warranty! Wonder if I can get one of their Z3 specific ones or if I will just get the E36 one.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2006 M3
    thanks for the update....looking for a new rad myself

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Raising this from the dead because it's mine, and I thought I give an update 7+ years on.. how about that?

Well, after these 7+ years this Mishimoto radiator developed a leak - I am noticing some coolant on the bottom of it on the passenger side. Time to test the Mishimoto lifetime warranty! Wonder if I can get one of their Z3 specific ones or if I will just get the E36 one.
    That's not too encouraging considering stock ones usually last 6-10 yrs.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I had a VSL radiator for about 2 years before it sprung a leak on one of the side welds. Mishimoto warrantied it and replaced it with one of their E36 models (Z3 specific are NLA) for about $50. I didn't like that it was not an OE fit so I sold it on EBay. I installed a Valeo from Turner and its been fine (knock my wooden head) for 3 years now.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Started the mishimoto lifetime warranty process today, see how that goes!

Update:
    Filled out the online warranty information, was contacted a day or two later, needed a picture of the leak which I sent.

They agreed to replace - I inquired about the Z3 specific mishimoto and they do have those - cost $100 more than the E36 specific one I had, so on it's way is a new Z3 mishimoto radiator.
    Last edited by ZGator; 03-01-2018 at 07:00 PM.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Started the mishimoto lifetime warranty process today, see how that goes!

Update:
    Filled out the online warranty information, was contacted a day or two later, needed a picture of the leak which I sent.

They agreed to replace - I inquired about the Z3 specific mishimoto and they do have those - cost $100 more than the E36 specific one I had, so on it's way is a new Z3 mishimoto radiator.
    Update:
    Well I got it, installed it, and I drove it - now it's been a few hundred miles, pretty nice RAD I must admit - puts the E36 style to shame, it's more beefy - a good 1/2 inch thicker - not sure how the shroud or the clutch/fan would install - it would be VERY tight - for my M52TU - but that's no problem since they have been banished for years!
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If this is the X- line, no the fan and shroud won't fit. A few years back there was a fellow on codependency central that insisted they did fit. Turns out he had taken a hack saw to the shroud and had the fan in with about 3mm clearance to the core. I'm confident that did not end well.