Thread: Help me pick which e36 to buy

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2003 Viper

Help me pick which e36 to buy

*****EDIT: Now have questions below about pricing of specific cars!*******

Hey guys. I'm looking at a lot of e36's for sale. They generally fall into three categories. Which would you think is in better shape mechanically?

1. Cars in the 100k miles range...owned by non-enthusiasts

2. Cars in the 150k miles range...owned by enthusiasts. Lots of upkeep done, lots of new parts.

3. Newer e36's with lots of miles (and a couple e46's). Also owned by non-enthusiasts. These tend to be in the 175-185k miles range.

Thoughts? I tend to believe category 2 would be in the best shape. Seems like the cars in cars in category 1 will need replacement parts soon and cars in category 3 should have already had them and will surely need more soon. Am I wrong here?
    Last edited by E28 528; 07-19-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    '95 M3
    '03 Viper

My Cars
    96 328i boston green
    id take a 150k mile car that a enthusiasts owned easally over any other i bought mine with 140k from a enthusiast and was hit in the front ... but i got all the repair bills parts all the upkeep all im going now is replacing the front body stuff and ill be in good shape... and i got the car veryyyy cheap lol 700 bucks .. and i work in a body shop so body panels and stuff is np puttin on for me

My Cars
    98 E36 318is
    definitely number 2 mate

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i 5spd
    yeah i would recommend category 2 as well, my car actually fits in this category but we have had it since it was new. you might actually be able find one in this range that is a total loss claim( insurance companies do not like these), but in my experience these are the best because i have a good bit of friends around my area that have these cars and are BMW enthusiasts. so even though it is a total loss claim because at the age of these cars it doesn't take much to make it a total. hope this helps. let me know which you decide to get.

My Cars
    E36 M3 vert/E32 750/Alfa
    FWIW I think previous posters are right, yo

Some say if you're checking out a used car, look last at the odometer, 'cuz all the other stuff tells you more about the car's "Real Age," you know? ;^)

I've been told and have read that the E36's were, like, BMW's first experiment with new design and manufacturing methods (CAD/CAM?) and since it was all new in some ways it’s like they're less rugged than earlier E's...'course if you maintain 'em all along they're great just like all the others... and if neglected they turn into a pitiful piece o' crap PDQ

This is open to discussion, and maybe I didn't express it right -- neglect any BMW and it’ll age for sure. You see the proof just about every day :shakes head: But you’ll have a way different experience if you get an E36 that’s had the right maintenance, and there’ll still be plenty to do

Good luck and best wishes. The right ones are out there!

Keep us posted (so to speak haha)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Yes, buy an enthusiast's car.

My car will be a #2 if I ever sell it, and that would be a an awesome deal for some lucky person. I am making sure it runs perfect!

Non-enthusiast will let the car go to hell with less miles, or newer model.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2003 Viper
    How much does everyone think this 1995 M3 is worth? The guy listed it at $7,000 and has come down to 6,500. But I still don't think it's worth that much. Am I wrong? His pics show the car is in excellent shape.

1995 BMW M3. 139.xxx, 2 doors 5 speed. Car is Boston green with black interior. The exterior is very clean and shiny and the interior is like new you wont find another M3 in this condition for this price. The car has been maintained very well. Has had had new cooling system including ( radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses), new shocks and strut, including shock tower mounts and bushings, new cross drilled rotors with ceramic brake pads, new brake sensors, all belts (serpintine and v-belt), front stabilizer bar links, battery replaced, p/s pump, p/s hoses, valve cover gasket set, oil filter cap gasket, both front wheel hubs (wheel bearings). Has the turner stage 2 kit. with borla exhaust which sounds very nice and not to loud, matte black grill. Car runs and needs nothing must see and drive to appreciate.
    '95 M3
    '03 Viper

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    MUST see AND drive. Price is at least in the right ballpark.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2003 Viper
    Thank you sir.
    '95 M3
    '03 Viper