Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW Wheel Defects - Bent Cracked Rims - 5 Series 6 Series 7 Series 550i 650i 750i

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2001 330Ci

Cracked 7 seies wheel

I own a 2006 750Li, kept getting low air warning. Removed wheel and noticed small crack in inside lip. This created a slow leak that would require attention daily. This is the second wheel that has cracked and of course they say you had to hit something. I just called the dealer and they claim they have never heard of this happening. Typical BMW !!!!

Maybe they are pissed that they just replaced my transmission after 36 months of complaints and them telling me nothing was wrong. The car would shift so hard at times you would think that someone just bumped into your car from behind. They always respond that we could not duplicate the problem ??? Took them 15 months and a total failure of the comfort access trunk close, and my sending them an article, to figure out the trunk mecanism was low on hydraulic fluid. This is my 6th BMW and I am seriously considering this one being my last.

My Cars
    2010 535i xdrive Msprt
    Had a 2002 e39 540 that had bent rims and just bought a 2010 535i xDrive that has a bent wheel at 40k. I too have never had a car that has bent a rim ther than the BMW. I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME

2005 545i with sport package. I went to get the rear tires changed because i couldn't take the RFT's any longer. Upon taking the rims off i learned that BOTH the rear wheels were bent from the inside and cracked in a different spot. The crack is hairline but apparently its not safe to remount with a tire. Didnt have enough cash for a 3 piece forge set that i wanted. I opted for refinished OEm wheels from a large well known OEM refurbished company. When the rims came in i saw they were BOTH cracked wheel repairs. Not sure if im alone on this but the Style 124 wheels are fragile... TOO fragile

My Cars
    2005 BMW 645 ci

Cracked Wheels Club

Just found this forum tonight and now realize I have been admitted to a growing club of BMW cracked wheel victims! Bought my 2005 645 ci in Nov, 2010 and had my right rear wheel crack diagnosed by Goodyear dealer in Nov, 2012. No physical damage to wheel, no pothole, curb or speed bump encounters, just a 1" long thin crack extending from the edge of the rim where the tire bead seats toward the inside of the wheel. BMW of Annapolis dealer refused to acknowledge that this was a manufacturing defect. Bought new replacement for $650. Today, I discovered left rear wheel crack identical to location and orientation of first cracked wheel. Called BMW N.A. and they insisted that they are not responsible for this defect either. Expecting another $650 bill when I retrieve car tomorrow.

Although I am German, I am embarrassed and frustrated by BMW's refusal to accept responsibility for this obvious defect, especially after reading about everyone else's similar experiences.

How about for the BMW acronym - Badly Made Wheels?!!!

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Quote Originally Posted by stagger16 View Post
    Just found this forum tonight and now realize I have been admitted to a growing club of BMW cracked wheel victims! Bought my 2005 645 ci in Nov, 2010 and had my right rear wheel crack diagnosed by Goodyear dealer in Nov, 2012. No physical damage to wheel, no pothole, curb or speed bump encounters, just a 1" long thin crack extending from the edge of the rim where the tire bead seats toward the inside of the wheel. BMW of Annapolis dealer refused to acknowledge that this was a manufacturing defect. Bought new replacement for $650. Today, I discovered left rear wheel crack identical to location and orientation of first cracked wheel. Called BMW N.A. and they insisted that they are not responsible for this defect either. Expecting another $650 bill when I retrieve car tomorrow.

Although I am German, I am embarrassed and frustrated by BMW's refusal to accept responsibility for this obvious defect, especially after reading about everyone else's similar experiences.

If you are German, then you understand why BMW won't accept responsibility for this issue.

Perhaps they should understand there is an issue and go from there. Das bietet sich als Lösung an.

My Cars
    2011 750li

My story

I just replaced my 7th rim and 8th tire on my 2011 750. I also have a tire warranty which has refused to pay any claim on any of the wheels but has paid for the tires. My bill today was 4200 4 rims 1 tire. I am tired of this. I have never cracked a rim of had tire issues on any other car. Bmw won't even talk to me about it and my dealer was just as helpful. They all say I need to talk to someone else. It's been a very long 12 day without my car to finally get a bill for 4200.00 it's not right.

My Cars
    2007 530i
    I've got 4 bent style 123 wheels in the garage. All of the rims bent on the inside edge. Instead of getting oem wheels this time I went with replicas on the front hopefully they will hold up better than oem. They are cast and not forged so they are not supposed to be as strong as oem but we'll see.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport Auto D
    Quote Originally Posted by 550Atlanta View Post
    I have just suffered my SEVENTH cracked wheel in 13k miles / 18 months!

If you have a BMW post 2004 5 series, 6 series or 7 series, PLEASE post your bent or cracked wheel or rim story HERE. According to Wheel Wizard in Atlanta, they see an inordinate number of BMW 550i, M5s, 650i, M6, 750i cars. They subcontract for all the majors - Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Ferrari etc. Wheel Wizard believes that the BMWs (particularly with Run Flats), chose an Alloy for the wheel that is defectively soft or and prone to cracking given the weight, power and suspensions on these cars. I AGREE!! 7 times in 18 months. I work out of my house and do not drive my car hard.

Over the last 30 years I've been driving, I've owned Mercedes (CLK430), Jaguar (XK8), Toyota, 3 Ford SUVs, an Infiniti and have never had a single cracked wheel or rim in 30 years! (If it were my driving - there would be at least one other instance in 30 years). But not once. Now, since November 2009, I've had 7 cracked or bent rims! This is beyond statistical probability of just bad luck. I HAVE HAD OTHER BMW DRIVERS TELL ME SIMILAR STORIES.

A very good friend had a 650i then an M6 - he had bent or cracked rim problems on BOTH. A friend has a 550i - he has had bent or cracked rims in the first 12 months. Wheel Wizard, when I was in last time, said they had seen 5 to 7 5, 6 and 7 series in the previous 5 days. And they said that was par for the course. Today, the Manager said he thought BMWs, particularly those with RF tires, experience a greater than normal bent and cracked rim problem (something that makes his business money - repeat problems).

PLEASE - POST YOUR BENT OR CRACKED WHEEL RIM STORY HERE. I am going to file a complaint today with the NTSB. I am hoping they will open up an official investigation. BMW National tried to tell me they have good engineers. I responded, that's what Toyota said too when they'd been denying safety problems even though we now know they were lying about what they knew and when they knew it. That is what Ford said about the Pinto gas tank under oath before multiple juries found otherwise (and their internal documents revealed otherwise). These car companies don't want recalls - they are expensive. So they deny until owners like us come forward and force a public investigation. Please share your story.
    Hi
    I have a 320D Sport Auto D and though 2008. Though I moved to non run flats, I am now losing air slowly & been told its a cfracked wheel rim. The advice seems to be to replace. Any advice what to buy and where? Am in Ascot, UK.
    Many thanks

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    My 545i pictured below and those 20'' inch black rims cracked within 6 months of owning the car. The car was sold to me with two sets of staggered wheels. The black set of 20's and an original set of M-5 19 inch aluminum alloys. Sold the 20's after I took them to get welded so the next guy would not have any issues.....hopefully and now I run the staggered 19's. World of difference......smoother, no rubbing on the inside of the fenders or when cornering. Loved the black on black look and recently found a pair of '05 M5 style black rims on ebay. Maybe later.

2012-09-22 14.28.23.jpg

My Cars
    2005 545iA M Sport
    I just picked up my 2005 545i back in June of this year and within 1500 miles 3 out of 4 wheels (Style 124) were bent and/or cracked. Much to my surprise, the shop that repaired them showed me that all of them had been repaired before. They kindly told me that I should invest in some quality aftermarket wheels or expect to be back again...probably more than once. I have since put on a 19" set of Avant Garde M310s and will keep the Style 124s for the day I sell or trade the car in. BMW quality continues to go down hill...The engines have been suffering from leaking gaskets for decades, cooling systems that are ticking time bombs past 70k miles, automatic transmission woes, electrical gremlins and the list goes on and on. Now add extremely poor quality wheels. Thanks BMW. Man, I really do miss the reliability of my old Lexus SC!

My Cars
    09 650I , 13 328i

Cracked Wheels 09 650i Coupe

I have now had both of my rear wheels crack loosing air and ultimately damage the tires .
    both have no visible damage from curbing , Rash on the sidewalls etc ,
    They are 19 inch with the RF tires

The BMW dealer said they could not see the crack , My local tire store found it and had it welded but I di not know if this Is safe .
    In fact this independent local store had a 19 BMW wheel and tire as a loaner ready and said that's because so many in my area have this problem.

REALLY it's hard to fathom BMW is ruining any reputation for quality ......they had . As many others I have never had a problem in the last 40 years I have been driving with any other car

My Cars
    08 535i
    I am the luckiest E60 owner alive. I have 66000 miles on my 535i and live in Pennsylvania. I have never bent or cracked a wheel (style 124 staggered sport wheels) on this vehicle. I did bend 2 on my Z4, and I know the hole I hit to do that, and I bent one on my Vette, but never on this car. Sorry guys.

I can speak for myself my rims was cracked by the shop that didn't have the proper equipment to remove the RFT and have the rim and tire to prove it

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    Quote Originally Posted by stagger16 View Post

Sounds like in your case, BMW really does mean Bumse Mich Wieder.

My Cars
    '07 530i
    Just recently paid BMW $600 to emergently repair all fourbent wheels on wife's '07 530i with 70K smooth higway miles. I just came across this post so I now know it's not wife's driving that caused all four bent wheels, it's actually the BMW quality control itself.

I should have the receipts from the dealer if that helps.

Is problem with just 18" or it's the 17" wheels as well ?

My Cars
    2017 BMW 340i x-drive
    I have a 2008 535I sport package. On a trip from Md. to Fla., I had loss of air in LR tire. Had to unpack the entire rear trunk to get to the doughnut spare (thank heaven this car has one). Found a hair line fracture starting from inner rim edge moving outward. Had to limp into Jacksonville, Fl. on the spare at 45MPH from South Carolina!! Thankfully, the dealer had a new rear wheel and we were back on our way. Hellava way to start a vacation. Car had 50K on it and the fracture was a result of a poorly designed wheel, not a pot hole, etc. This cracking wheel issue seems wide spread and begs for a recall or at least a substantial reduction in the cost of replacing a poorly designed wheel with another poorly designed wheel. I've been driving over 50 years and have never had a wheel crack on any other car I've owned.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by aquila163 View Post
    I am the luckiest E60 owner alive. I have 66000 miles on my 535i and live in Pennsylvania. I have never bent or cracked a wheel (style 124 staggered sport wheels) on this vehicle. I did bend 2 on my Z4, and I know the hole I hit to do that, and I bent one on my Vette, but never on this car. Sorry guys.
    I have no issues with my 550 either.

The only car I ever bent any wheels on was my 1994 Volvo 850 POS. Yet another in a long list of problems with that car.

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    Quote Originally Posted by aquila163 View Post
    are you sure? I have two Style 124s (staggered) that are bent. Spinning it on a Hunter balancer, it's visibly bent. Could feel it a little before re-balancing and not much after.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i
    I have a 2012 528i and constantly losing tire pressure. Yesterday, I found out there are 2 cracks on the rim. If anyone is having a class action law suit, I'm in.
    Meanwhile, any idea where I can take it to get it welded in Los angeles 90049 area?

Quote Originally Posted by eman2007 View Post
    I can speak for myself my rims was cracked by the shop that didn't have the proper equipment to remove the RFT and have the rim and tire to prove it
    SAMs club was responsible so don't go there

My Cars
    bmw 328i

cracked trim

i just had my 2nd rim crack. i have a 2013 bmw 328i and at 32k miles i had a crack and now at 56k i have a crack. i drive normal and have not hit any pot holes or speed bumps or even curbs. i owned a 2007 bmw 328i for 6 years and had no prombles and now this new 2013 i bought with 5 miles on it has had two cracked rims? i am so upset it cost me 395.00 each time to replace. there has to be a problem with the rims. help!

- - - Updated - - -

I have had two cracked rims at differnt times after taking my car into discount tire. i leave and the next day the light comes on saying i have a low tire. i go in and they check and say oh your rim is cracked? why didnt they see the crack when they did the rotation? do you think maybe they dont have the right stuff?

I do think the tire shop can be the ones that crack your rim !! I brought my car to SAMs and they didn't know how to take off run flat tires and got them to buy me a new rim

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i
    I read somewhere that BMW has changed to an Italian supplier for rims because the previous supplier had problems with consistent metallurgy - which is why some have had no issues. Definitely run flats, narrow sidewalls and sport suspensions will increase your impact forces the wheel has to absorb but these wheel problems go beyond that.

Unfortunatley, unless a class action looks to be successful or the the NHSTA rules on it we probably aren't going to see any action from BMW.

My Cars
    2015 550i M Sport
    Hi, I live in a very urban/suburban, congested area in New Jersey. My mom has a 2015 550i m sport package, fully loaded with all the fun stuff! She absolutely loves the car! Problem is, she has had 4 bent rims and 3 damaged tires. I 100% believe that there is something wrong with the rims and the possibility that the alloy may be too soft. Potholes are a year round problem in NJ, NYC, Phila area, but 4 is way to much! Driving home one night there was a 2x4 on the highway she slowed down as much as possible, she said to like 40mph, bent the rim and bubbled two tires. She was driving 30mph on a city street hit a pothole, bent the rim clear as day, no tire damage. She had a nail in her tire, turns out she had a bent rim too. Also, she has never had any other damage associated with the hitting potholes. The dealership checked engine mounts, turbos, suspension, etc. Meanwhile I hit a huge one in My 12 accord, nothing! I say put the car on a flatbed and ride around like you're in a Disney parade! Btw, she came from an x3, 528i, and an x5, never had a problem before. My dad has sport rims on his Lexus, never had a problem. It sucks because BMWs' definitely are the ULTIMATE driving machines but it's like biting nails once the car leaves the driveway! I think it's the RFT and rims not made for the rigidity of the tires amongst other things.
    Last edited by SteveNNJ; 03-10-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast