Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW Wheel Defects - Bent Cracked Rims - 5 Series 6 Series 7 Series 550i 650i 750i

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650i
    Fascinating. I have an 06 650i with 30K miles. Four weeks ago I get a letter concerning a class action suit from CA against BMW for defective rims, which I readily dismiss as nothing I would be interested in. Last week, on a trip to TX from Indiana, I have a flat tire (on run flats) and guess what- cracked rim. No question in my mind they're defective- that car's been pampered its whole life. Can't wait to start replacing them at $500 a pop.

My Cars
    '07 530i
    Two cracked rims on my CPO had been replaced, by the dealer, at only 26,700 miles, just before I bought it.

My Cars
    2005 545i
    Yes! We had to replace two bent/cracked rims. Driving is as normal as it gets. The vehicle was under warranty,but BMW refused to replace. Not even offer a discount. We ended up purchasing after market rims. Love the car disappointed with the service. If anyone does file a class-action lawsuit I'm in.

My Cars
    2005-545i
    I recently bought a used '05 545i with the sport package. I just had new tires mounted and you can guess what we found. The right rear had been leaking for a couple weeks and getting worse. Its hard to plug a rim. Luckily the crack was on the rear and a local race shop repaired the wheel. They said since the 18", 20", and larger wheels with low profile tires have become more common place that they repair a lot of wheels and the run flats make the problem worse. So the problem isnt exclusive to bmw rims, its getting wide spread. I feel like BBK is probably the real culprit with some poor designs.

My Cars
    2007 530i | 323iT (RIP)

No problems yet, but....

Maybe not exactly what this thread is looking for (=a positive story)....
    I have been driving my CPO 2007 530i - with Sports Package & 18" OEMs (Style 123 with RF) - for 10k Miles now on Chicagoland roads (and around the Midwest) over the past year, and without any issues (bents, cracks etc). IMHO, Chicagoland roads are the worst in the country; with potholes everywhere. I've hit a couple, despite the fact that I'm trying to be really careful considering the $$@##! roads... Still no issues with the OEMs.

Anyways, and even though I seem to be one of the 'lucky ones', your stories tell me that I should switch to the M6 Reps (style 346) that I want so badly as soon as snow & ice are gone. Looks like I will have a set of Style 123 OEMs (with 18" Bridgestone Potenza RF 245/45) for sale now; I just switched to my Winter Set and won't need them anymore. Hit me if you need spares... mine have no cracks or bents; just a few minor scuffs (nothing crazy).

Hope you guys succeed with a CA suit - simply because I'm still suffering from the 2000 E46 "no-reverse" transmission failure of my previous ride: that one was obviously caused by a manufacturing defect too (Thank you, ZF...), but BMW never admitted to it - despite the web crawling with stories from E46 drivers that had the exact same transmission failure, at 100k Miles or less (!!) Just cost me a measly 4 Grand to get another Tranny.... So, if I can't get "justice" with regard to my tranny, I hope that at least you guys will have more luck with your OEM rim case. It's about time for BMW to change their attitude with these kind of issues. - Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by The German; 01-30-2011 at 08:55 PM.

My Cars
    2013 550i M Package
    I purchased my 2008 BMW 535i Sport in September of 2010. 7 spoke rims, offset.

Within 2 months I replaced the right rear rim (the WELD cracked)....yes, the dealer sold me a welded rim and did NOTHING to help make it right.

Evans Motorworks in North Dayton.

3 months later (February 2010) I just had my car serviced by a dealer in Cincinnati who informed me the front left rim was bent.

2 rims in a total of 5 months.

Hell yes there is a problem with these rims!

My Cars
    08 535i 06 ZX10R URMOM
    got an 08 and get the shakes on the freeway at times

just doesnt feel right

under warranty still, so I will be going to the dealership

08 535i

My Cars
    1995 525i ,1994 toyota tt supra
    Split rim in half,hit hole though.Only had 04 545i for one week.Going to give it one more and its aftermarket.

My Cars
    2004 545i
    Hit one of many pot holes here in Long island NY. result. right frt. blow out, blown suspension bushings and bent maybe cracked rim. Getting 4 new tires tomorrow ( conti dws' ) to replace the pirelli p zero nero ms' that are on there now!
    Expensive hole to hit. Rear tires get 15k on them then the inner section renders the tire useless... nice car but really not worth the expensive upkeep...2004 545i...
    Count me in on the class action suit if it happens....

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i Sedan
    For people that are having problems, can you post exactly which Rims and Tires your car has? Ideally a picture of the wheel and the tire make/model? There are all different years mentioned here so I'd like to see if it's all the same wheel, all the same tire, both, or none of the above. I personally haven't had a problem yet but statistics help if you are trying to find a pattern.

My Cars
    2011 Chevy Duramax CC
    I am looking at a 2008 550 and on the car fax it shows 3 tires replace/parts ordered at 27k miles. I looked yesterday and sure enough it has one tire about worn out! didnt know about rims until today. I has the 10 spoke wheels on it. also on car fax, it shows having two batteries already by 34k miles. Shows 3 times the computer module was checked. Is this something normal or maybe they were looking why batteries going bad?
    Thanks

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by techsavvy View Post
    For people that are having problems, can you post exactly which Rims and Tires your car has? Ideally a picture of the wheel and the tire make/model? There are all different years mentioned here so I'd like to see if it's all the same wheel, all the same tire, both, or none of the above. I personally haven't had a problem yet but statistics help if you are trying to find a pattern.
    Pretty sure it's these...

bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    2006 530i
    I had two cracked 18" rims. BMW refused to honor the replacement (the car is still under warrantee). I replaced the RFT's and have had no problems since.

My Cars
    08 535i
    This is going to be a hard battle to win because damage is not covered by BMW warranty. As unusual as it is for just one style of wheel to come up so often, damage is what BMW sees when they see a cracked rim and almost everyone that bends or cracks a rim says they never hit anything hard. ABC just caused BMW to expedite the recall on HPFP's, does anyone hear have a contact with someone in media to investigate style 124 wheels. Someone needs to show scientifically or statistically, NOT anecdotally, that this wheel bends and/or cracks substancially more often than other wheels or is not compliant with FED regulations as used. For example, if BMW got the wheel DOT approved with non runflat tires and didn't test it with runflat tires, then BMW may be forced to do something. A couple hundred posts on forums of guys saying, 'I bent/cracked a rim and didn't hit anything hard', isn't going to get it done. Something else to think of is that E60's ride so nice, you can hit something pretty hard and not 'feel' it like you would in most cars. The bottom line is, and I'll help anyone get through BMW if I know how, you won't get this problem solved by having some of you complain on the available forums. At the dealer these things are mutually refered to as "BMWwhiner.com". Just trying to help.

My Cars
    1976 2002, 2008 535 wago
    Just got word from my dealer I need to replace all 4 rims on 2008 535 Sportwagon with Sport suspension. I did hit more than a few potholes this winter. I hope I can find a more strucurally sound rim to replace as I live in the country in the NE and potholes are a regular unavoidable fact of life. Guess I could get them straightened. If I found sound non-OEM rims, would I be jeopardizing my warranty? Any recommendations for wheel guys in Westchester?
    Sign me up for class action....

My Cars
    2005 645ci convertible

Angry 645 c1 allow rims cracked :(

I am sick of fixing my rims every 2k miles. Repairs cost $75-$90. Somebody knows if there is a special warranty or recall on these?

This is the 4th. time I have my rims cracked!

My Cars
    clk230
    thid is a BIG problem with BMW wheels.

I would say about 40% of the wheels we get that are cracked are BMW wheels.

My Cars
    '98 E39, '12 Honda Pilot
    Add me to the club. 05 545 sport package. 85k miles. Style 124 driver rear has cracked..... is it the rim, or the wife?

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2005 545i sport
    So this is my first post and I find my self in the same boat as a lot of you. I just picked up a 2005 545i with sport package and promptly put 4 new tires on it only to find that the car seemed to be riding strange and guess what, 4 bent rims!!!! Seems that the only solution is to buy after market rims.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    I have a 2008 535i 40K and noticed a shake in the steering wheel. Took it down to the tire place and had them check the balance of the tires only to find out my left front rim was bent. Can's see it on the outside but there is a rather sizable flatspot on the inside. I haven't hit anything that I can recall...

I was looking in to getting another rim but went with a new set of wheels/tires instead

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535I M SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by 550Atlanta View Post
    I have just suffered my SEVENTH cracked wheel in 13k miles / 18 months!

If you have a BMW post 2004 5 series, 6 series or 7 series, PLEASE post your bent or cracked wheel or rim story HERE. According to Wheel Wizard in Atlanta, they see an inordinate number of BMW 550i, M5s, 650i, M6, 750i cars. They subcontract for all the majors - Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Ferrari etc. Wheel Wizard believes that the BMWs (particularly with Run Flats), chose an Alloy for the wheel that is defectively soft or and prone to cracking given the weight, power and suspensions on these cars. I AGREE!! 7 times in 18 months. I work out of my house and do not drive my car hard.

Over the last 30 years I've been driving, I've owned Mercedes (CLK430), Jaguar (XK8), Toyota, 3 Ford SUVs, an Infiniti and have never had a single cracked wheel or rim in 30 years! (If it were my driving - there would be at least one other instance in 30 years). But not once. Now, since November 2009, I've had 7 cracked or bent rims! This is beyond statistical probability of just bad luck. I HAVE HAD OTHER BMW DRIVERS TELL ME SIMILAR STORIES.

A very good friend had a 650i then an M6 - he had bent or cracked rim problems on BOTH. A friend has a 550i - he has had bent or cracked rims in the first 12 months. Wheel Wizard, when I was in last time, said they had seen 5 to 7 5, 6 and 7 series in the previous 5 days. And they said that was par for the course. Today, the Manager said he thought BMWs, particularly those with RF tires, experience a greater than normal bent and cracked rim problem (something that makes his business money - repeat problems).

PLEASE - POST YOUR BENT OR CRACKED WHEEL RIM STORY HERE. I am going to file a complaint today with the NTSB. I am hoping they will open up an official investigation. BMW National tried to tell me they have good engineers. I responded, that's what Toyota said too when they'd been denying safety problems even though we now know they were lying about what they knew and when they knew it. That is what Ford said about the Pinto gas tank under oath before multiple juries found otherwise (and their internal documents revealed otherwise). These car companies don't want recalls - they are expensive. So they deny until owners like us come forward and force a public investigation. Please share your story.
    This is my 5th BMW, 2011 535i with M Sport pac in the first weekend, (2 days after picking the car up) Easter Sunday I felt a bad vibration from the front end. when I got to my in-laws, I looked a my tires only to see a bent rim and a BIG bubble on the side wall of the left front tire! now bear in mind this was the first time this car was driven more then 30 miles, i never hit a pot hole I had my wife and 3 kids in the car so I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR AGGRESSIVELY. Upon returning to Paul Miller BMW (the selling dealer) I was told that my 4 day old $80,000 5 series will get a repaired rim AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TIRE as customer good will !!!!!!!!!! what a load of BS. After making sure they knew i'd call BMW, they replaced the wheel and tire with brand new (from another unsold new car in the lot) THE SAME DAY AT NO CHARGE!! IN ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER REPLACED A TIRE OR RIM DUE TO PREMATURE FAILURE !!! THERE IS A PROBLEM, AND THERE ARE NO NEW RIMS IN THE U.S. THEY CANT MAKE THEM FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM IN STOCK (I WAS TOLD BY THE PARTS AND SERVICE MANAGER). SO GOOD LUCK ALL AND I GUESS WE ARE FORCED TO BUY THE BMW RIM AND TIRE WARRANTY $$$$$
    Last edited by fixer110; 05-03-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535I M SPORT
    This is my 5th BMW, 2011 535i with M Sport pac in the first weekend, (2 days after picking the car up) Easter Sunday I felt a bad vibration from the front end. when I got to my in-laws, I looked a my tires only to see a bent rim and a BIG bubble on the side wall of the left front tire! now bear in mind this was the first time this car was driven more then 30 miles, i never hit a pot hole I had my wife and 3 kids in the car so I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR AGGRESSIVELY. Upon returning to Paul Miller BMW (the selling dealer) I was told that my 4 day old $80,000 5 series will get a repaired rim AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TIRE as customer good will !!!!!!!!!! what a load of BS. After making sure they knew i'd call BMW, they replaced the wheel and tire with brand new (from another unsold new car in the lot) THE SAME DAY AT NO CHARGE!! IN ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER REPLACED A TIRE OR RIM DUE TO PREMATURE FAILURE !!! THERE IS A PROBLEM, AND THERE ARE NO NEW RIMS IN THE U.S. THEY CANT MAKE THEM FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM IN STOCK (I WAS TOLD BY THE PARTS AND SERVICE MANAGER). SO GOOD LUCK ALL AND I GUESS WE ARE FORCED TO BUY THE BMW RIM AND TIRE WARRANTY $$$$$

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535I M SPORT

Thumbs down Bmw bad rims and tires

My Cars
    '99 328i, 99 Bravada
    I have a new to me 05 545i that I received and later discovered had 4 bent rims, 3 of them (according to Discount Tire) are unrepairable. I noticed a receipt in my glovebox where the original owner had replaced one of the rims previously for $400. I had to replace all 4 with new!!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi

2008 535xi - Bent rims? , bad tires?

I am a month into owning a new-2-me CPO 2008 535xi with RFT. I made the salesman document the shimmy felt at 65mph and got a written IOU for the wheel balance "it must need". I finally get it back to the shop and voila! ... warranty is covering the replacement of 2 tires and sales is magically picking up the 3rd tire, all under "road force" issues.

I'm half-sick after reading all of these posts about the obvious issue with RFT and the frequently cracking rims. I have a year left on the factory warranty and "strongly encouragaed" by the financing guy at the dealership to buy the road hazard tire package warranty.

Please add me to your class action communication list. I'll be happy to present my car's data (less than 35k miles, etc.).

I've heard that you can keep the OEM rims and put regular (non-RF) tires on, and you won't experience some of the issues. Anyone done that? I might tell the dealership that I won't accept RFT, and force the issue of them putting regulars on. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast