Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any opinions on StarSpec vs. Nitto NT05 vs. Hankook R-S3?

My Cars
    1976 2002, 1998 328is
    I have a set of the Dunlops in 195-14 for my street tires, and I've used them in the wet to autoX once or twice.

The Star specs are great. No vibration, balancing issues or road noise problems. I've had them on the car for five months or there abouts.

Meanwhile, I have the R-S3s in 225-45/15s for my dedicated autoX tires. They do very well when hot. I've run them in the rain and they seemed pretty damn good in the wet, although the Star Specs are much grippier in the rain.

If Dunlop made a 225-45/15 I'd probably go with it.

If Bridgestone made a 225-45/15 in the RE-11, I'd be all over that.

If ANYBODY made a decent 235-40/15 for street touring, I'd be in freakin' heaven.

d.hitchcock
    Avus 1998 328is, No. 191 STX
    Orientblau 2000 323i Touring
    Malaga 1976 2002

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

My Cars
    318ti
    d. Hitch,

Have you looked into fitting the 245/35/17 Toyo R1R?

It's nice and short, but maybe too wide for your STX limited fenders?

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3, 2008 MiniCooper S
    Just bought a set of SS for rain tries at HPDEs. Last weekend decided to run a few sessions in the dry at Mid-Ohio. Very good grip for about 10-15 minutes then got a little hot and lost a fair amount of grip. They were predictable throughout the sessions.

Ken
    96 M3, no sunroof, OBD1-M50 intake manifold, ASC delete, CAI by TMS, Shark, VAC oil pan baffle kit, VAC HD oil pump shaft, VAC oil filter top, JB light-flywheel, B&B cat back, AA headers,underdrive pulleys, TCKline Coil overs-Koni SA, JT Design front strut bar, HR springs & bars, TCKline camber plates, Power Flex throughout, X brace, B&M-ssk, 4pt roll bar, fiberglass hood & trunk, Recaro Driver and Corbeau pass. seats and Schroth 6pt, Zionsville alum rad. JT Design front splitter, Z3 power steering rack (2.8 turns), A/C delete, Racepak IQ3 Data Acquisition plus eng oil pres, eng oil temp, eng water temp, brake pressure, and throttle position, final drive - 3.64 LSD by Blanton.

My Cars
    2005 M3 s/c & e30 s50
    I can't give feedback for StarSpec or Hankook R-S3, but I can for Nitto NT05. On my heavy car (e46 M3 with VF stage 2 and no weight loss mods or carbon fiber), I went through 6 track days with the NT05 and -3.5 camber all around. 275/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear. The wear was mostly in the center. The outer edge still had 4/32" or 5/32" left when the front tire center rib was a gradual grind from 0 to 1/32"; the outside part of the center rib was 0 and the inner would be 1/32". The inner part of the tire was still 3/32" or 4/32" (I forgot and will have to measure it again). I drove mostly in the dry. When the tires were new it handled OK in the wet; when worn (after 5 track sessions) they were horrible in the wet such that sprinkler runaway/puddles on a 55mph slight turn would make the car slip a lot. The NT05 are cheaper than the SS and VS3 so I will buy them again, except next time I'm getting 275/35/18 all around and then putting less camber in the rear. I drive on the street once or twice a week with this car; sometimes I swap with two or four rear OEM wheels and tires when I'm not tracking. For daily driving, I run a little higher PSI to get better mileage; I may have been running over inflated on the street. On the track I was running about 33 PSI semi-cold and no more than 40PSI hot, at which point the tire would be a little slippy.

On Willow Springs Raceway (the big track), the tires took about two laps to warm up to optimum temperature; after about 15 minutes of driving, the tires would get too hot; my best lap time would be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th lap (with the warmup lap counting as #1). In the 6th lap the tires would not be as grippy and it would take two laps to cool down so I could drive another 2 or 3 hot laps.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 323is
    When running street tires, I've run star specs. With that said, I would run the RS-3's... I had a student in a camaro on them and could NOT believe the lateral grip they produced. I'm a believer, run the kooks...

[Ethan "if it weren't for that cone" Connor|323is #89DSP]

My Cars
    RS-3 is significantly faster than AD08, SS, and NT05. RS-3 is *almost* an R-comp in terms of lap time when new.

I've tracked all 4 on heavy BMWs. In terms of outright lap time, RS-3 is the easy winner. SS seems to last the best, but RS3/NT05/AD08 are not horrible.

Overall I would say RS-3 > AD08 > SS > NT05.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Good thread!
    I was looking for a good daily street tire, that could also be used for some auto-cross events...
    I have been looking at the new Michelin Super Sports, and possibly the new Continental DW summer tires...
    I thought maybe the Dunlop Star Specs might be another good option, but I have heard their grip dies at 50% tread remaining...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 07-02-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    ordered a set of RS3s for my drive to the track tires. TR is on backorder. 255s
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    2003 330i #183 STX
    heh, 255/17 RS3s are what most STX and STR SCCA Autocross cars run, I'd recommend trying another size if you're set on RS3s, or go with star specs. The 255 RS3 will be on backorder all year.

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    RS3's probably gonna be in high demand since Grassroots Motorsports just had them as the top tire vs AD08's, Z1's, R1R, and RE11 in their latest issue.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    E46 M3, JSW TDI
    I've run two sets of SS (265/35-18) and now a set of NT05 (275/35-18) on my full weight E46 M3. I agree that the SS have a stiffer sidewall, I think the NT05 are slightly more vague on-center, but nothing "bad".

I'm almost positive the SS will last longer, so the true total cost over time may be a wash between the two. I do think the NT05 handle extended run sessions better, although when working at either tire's "best", the SS is probably slightly faster.

I may snag some pics of the NT05s after going through their 5th and 6th days this weekend at VIR - they definitely appear to wear faster than the Dunlops. That said, most of my SS experience was on stock suspension (now on 4100s) and I am beating on the tires more now that I was then (~2:16 on Full, ~1:48 at North).

FWIW, if I buy another set of street tires for track use it will probably be RS-3 or Kumho XS.
    Last edited by jph28; 07-05-2011 at 03:13 PM.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by BJO View Post
    RS3's probably gonna be in high demand since Grassroots Motorsports just had them as the top tire vs AD08's, Z1's, R1R, and RE11 in their latest issue.
    Thanks for the heads up.

It looks like they used a Honda Civic in 2009. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-1/

What care did they use this time?

Last edited by aus; 07-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

It looks like they used a Honda Civic in 2009. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-1/

What care did they use this time?

It was their late model miata with 17" wheels.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...

My Cars
    Need an E30 PM Me
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceE30 View Post
    Considering they are for an HPDE, you really should go with the longest wearing tire as they all have comparable performance. The Star Specs and RS-3s are on par with one anther for overall grip. The Dunlops will last FOREVER (we have had them on a car for well over 300 autocross runs and they still have life in them and a little tread). The Hankooks will not last as long and aren't as heat resistant as most people think. Two weeks ago we had a hella hot day here in Atlanta and the Hankooks were going off as much as any other tire when heated up. Kumho XSes will handle heat a lot better, IMHO (though the SUCK in the cold and especially the wet). The Nittos, from what I hear, handle heat well and as a 200 treadwear tire, they will probably last the longest. Since you're not "competing" and you're not looking for an R-compound performance, they might be the way to go.
    I run starspecs in STX and am very competitive in my 330ci.

Weird i saw your number is 144, what made you pick that number?
    Ive run that number since i raced four wheelers

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    I'm by no means a pro, but i have experance with both SS and Rs3.. I bought the SS for my E36 to use at the track but the car is mostly a weekend driver, so tread life was a consern. they preformed very good for me durring the hpde, but they did get hot ( after about 7 laps i would get the ass to walk out when heavy throttle on sharp turns ) but by no means was it bad and it was very predictable and controlable.
    the RS3's are on a S4 and preform just as well but have warn considerably faster.

all in all, it depends on your intended use/ alignment specs / and intended life that will give you your answer, not one of us on the forum can tell you what one is the "best" its your choice.

the SS after a 30 min session. (tires were brand new)

Quote Originally Posted by ///36M View Post
    F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    I too have noticed that the RS3's wear faster than the Starspecs. The level of wear is not like an A6, but they aren't as long lasting as the star specs.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    It seems that the Dunlop Star Specs are best suited for daily-driving and auto-cross/track...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    328xit

I've used the R-S3 and Nittos

I used the Nitto NT-01's (not the NT-05) for years, but can't get them in 18 inch any more. So I tried the R-S3's as an inexpensive alternative to the Direzza Star Spec after reading the excellent Grassroots Magazine comparison article.

I just got back from 6 days at Mont Tremblant and Calabogie, and have to say I am blown away by what $160 will buy for tires! The R-S3's will be my standard tire from now on. The grip is almost close to R compound, but they are streetable (1500 miles to/from the tracks). And after 6 days the tread is still intact, compared to a 6 day lifetime for the Nitto.

BTW, a *heavy* M3? Try my 4200 pound E91 wagon! You have no idea what I do to tires flinging that thing around.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    good luck trying to get RS3's anywhere, hankook hasn't sent any over in months. Tirerack nor anyone knows when they are going to fill any orders.

i had to get star specs and man have they jacked up the price of them A LOT recently.
    Andrew:
    1995: Avus

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    '99 M3 TiAg/black
    ^That is sad news.

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by chebimmer View Post
    ^That is sad news.
    There will be a shortage for a while too...SCCA SOLO Nationals is coming up at the end of next month and any shipment that comes in is going to be scooped up by STR and STX cars (so think at least 60 sets of 245 and 255 gone).

May want to look into one of the other sets until later this year or early next year.
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    99 M3/2/5
    I looked on tire rack today and said they would ship Rs3's on 8/6 in 245/40/17

99 cosmos M3 TC Kline S/A Coils, TCK Camber Plates, System U, AFE Intake, Depo's, Clears, ZHP knob, X Brace...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12