Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Apartment Detailing Challenge

My Cars
    2000 540i 6 spd M-tech

Red face Apartment Detailing Challenge

I need to fix the Jet Black paint on my 2000 540i. Yes, I know that some of you could do this with your eyes closed. I have read many of the post here and I know how soft my paint is. But...

Can someone tell me how to detail my paint without electricity/polisher or 10 hours of hard labor? I need the best way to make my paint look better and protect it from getting worse. It is not that swirled on most of the panels, and it does have major road rash on the front of the hood. For that I have some Dr. Colorchip, but I don't want to go through all the trouble of fixing the chips just to have the paint go to poo.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Jeep
    Cheapest and easiest thing to do by hand would probably clay, glaze (CG EZ Creme), seal. Or clay, Poli- Seal, and another optional coat of sealant.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    If that car has never been corrected, even w/ an electric polisher, you are looking at 10 hours of work. I agree w/ Dan, glaze is a good way to fake it.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    A +1 for Dan and chet31.

A glaze (as per Dan, CG EZ Creme is your best option) will fill-in the swirls to an extent, but keep in mind it will wear away and need to be reapplied to "mask" the damage. The best manner to keep the finish from getting worse is a proper hand wash technique. I'm a fan of the 2 bucket, 2 sheepskin mitt method with ONR (Optimum No-Rinse) and this should work well for you since you're apartment bound.
    Last edited by trudnick; 08-11-2010 at 11:53 PM.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    I have the situation, apt. no power in the garage..... it will take lots of time probably more than the ten hours you don't want to spend. I think the key for you is using the right pads, I have had very good results (with lots of elbow grease) using orange and white lake county's big hand like pad with Meguiars M105 followed by white pads with M205 and maybe a red pad with M205. I've done it in sections like hood and front bumper one day, roof another time., trunk lid, rear bumper another time............. since you have to do it by hand I have found the right product, pads and application to be critical.

There is a post somewhere here by Mike Phillips comparing hand to machine using Meguiars Ultimate compound and swirl x with youtube linked videos. That inspired me and I tried it but found the ult compound and swirl x very inferior to M105 and M205.

Good luck.

My Cars
    Jeep
    Another thing you could try is Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Would it be possible to take it to a professional and have the paint corrected? That way you can buy some ONR and wash it yourself weekly to maintain the look.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by RyansBMW View Post
    Would it be possible to take it to a professional and have the paint corrected? That way you can buy some ONR and wash it yourself weekly to maintain the look.
    I think that would be a great idea.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailDan View Post
    I think that would be a great idea.
    If only there were a detailer in northern Virginia ...