Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 Yellow Fog Lights (Where to buy)

My Cars
    98S52///M3
    I found the krylon stained glass at michaels its on a small little can they are not available on the normal size cans and it was for 10 dlls and did my high beams snd foglights under 30 minutes

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    Quote Originally Posted by alheim View Post
    did you people even read this thread?

maybe you guys should focus on stuff like matters first, like maintenance. go buy a bentley manual. change your oil. put in new transmission & differential fluid. change the fuel filter. new spark plugs, new air filter. check your suspension for wear and for play, and replace parts as required. don't throw on parts with fancy names like 'coilovers' without understanding what they do (spoiler alert: you don't need coilovers unless you're tracking the car). do your brakes: new pads, rotors, then lubricate them, and flush the brake fluid. flush your radiator. check everything. start a maintenance log.

wash your car, then wax it. keep it out of the sun. keep it looking fresh.

then worry about exterior mods & aesthetic upgrades.

your e36 is a beautiful car. don't abuse it and destroy it by focusing on unimportant things like yellow fog lights.

i find it hard to believe that you are doing a good job maintaining your vehicle if you can't even read this thread. there is only one shade of the YELLOW krylon 'stained glass color' spray paint. several people, myself included, have discussed what type of paint to use, in this very same thread. READ the posts above.

i don't know what made you think that regular spray paint would work on your lights. you might as well paint your windshield with some latex paint & a paint roller while you're at it.

seriously. maintenance comes first. bring your car up to factory spec, then worry about stuff like yellow foglights. take baby steps. learn the fundamentals. you can teach yourself. get a book, start with new oil & brakes. buy tools as you go.

and have a good weekend.

Next on your quest is telling them what brand of gas they need to use? It's their car... they can run with blown shocks and old oil and put whatever color fogs they want in...

My Cars
    1997 328is
    M3Alpine, that was months ago. sometimes someone has to say something to the noobs. did you catch the part where the guy tried to spray his fog lights with regular yellow spray paint, instead of the glass paint? he clearly didn't read the thread, and that's just annoying for everyone.

edit: i hear what you are saying, maybe i was being a jerk. but am i so wrong to try to give some direction to people who are painting their fogs with what's essentially latex paint? they need all the help they can get ..
    Last edited by alheim; 12-29-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: noobs

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    I agree with that... but your post was just condescending IMO.

My Cars
    635CSI
    awesome to know
    ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE

My Cars
    Searching for a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgiem3 View Post
    I found the krylon stained glass at michaels its on a small little can they are not available on the normal size cans and it was for 10 dlls and did my high beams snd foglights under 30 minutes
    Good to know, off to Michaels for Krylon spray paint
    Last edited by Jmac95E34; 12-31-2010 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac95E34 View Post
    Good to know, off to Michaels for Krylon spray paint
    Make sure to search hard. The workers were unable to find it for me; it wasn't with the other spray paints but off by itself on the lowest shelf in an odd section.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Just did the krylon method. I'm very pleased with it!

Last edited by Austin Connell; 05-26-2012 at 12:09 AM.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Connell View Post
    Just did the krylon method. I'm very pleased with it!
    Lucky! Where were you able to find a can? I've been to Home Depot, Lows and True Value with everyone telling me its discontinued in that color. All I can find is Blue, Red and Green.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Hobby Lobby for 7$ ha. You can also order it online from TCP Global I think is what its called. Its based in south Carolina for about 14$ shipped. http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/...mNo=KRY%209024
    Last edited by Austin Connell; 05-26-2012 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Anyone use the Dupli-Color Metalcast Yellow instead of the Krylon? The Dupli-Color comes in a full size can and is much easier to find then the Krylon.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Is it meant for glass? I say you buy a can, give it a shot, let us know how it works.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I have an extra can unused if anyone needs it.

My Cars
    99 M3 vert, E92 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by yensed View Post
    Anyone use the Dupli-Color Metalcast Yellow instead of the Krylon? The Dupli-Color comes in a full size can and is much easier to find then the Krylon.
    Quote Originally Posted by alheim View Post
    Is it meant for glass? I say you buy a can, give it a shot, let us know how it works.
    It works well but not as deep yellow as the Krylon
    here is an example on E30 lights

You still can find some of the Krylon yellow at Micheal on special @ $6.99
    Here are my fogs and city lights with 2 coats of Krylon

With the sun reflecting in the lenses
    Last edited by JAKB; 06-18-2012 at 12:31 AM.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Well those photos just ultimately decided that I will be doing my high beams This week!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Austin Connell; 06-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Ended up ordering a can of Dupli-Color Metalcast Yellow from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $8.xx and used it on my Scrapyard Depo's. It was way easier to find then the Krylon. I love the result and can't imagine the Krylon would have been much better. The Dupli-Color also comes in a 11oz Can and has a fantastic adjustable nozzle. It also claims it can withstand temperatures of 500-degrees which would be great for people with HID fogs.

I ended up letting them sit for a while and did a couple more coats which darkened them up a bit. [Sun was reflecting on the right fog light.]

What was really cool is I sent Krylon an email asking what was up with the Stained Glass Paint. I informed them I went to all the stores around me which their site lists as an Authorized Dealer of Krylon paint products and had no luck buying or ordering the Stained Glass paint. They sent me a return email the next day listing some websites which they (Incorrectly) claim sell the specific paint and offered to send me a Free Can for my trouble! So I was thinking since I have some extra fogs, I'll compare the two products once I receive it.
    Last edited by yensed; 06-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    ^The color looks good to me...identical to the Krylon it seems, and definitely deeper than the yellow Lamin-x.

I think I need to re-coat my fogs. The paint will eventually become pitted from road debris/sand, so it might be wise to put some clear Lamin-x on top.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee328 View Post
    ^The color looks good to me...identical to the Krylon it seems, and definitely deeper than the yellow Lamin-x.

I think I need to re-coat my fogs. The paint will eventually become pitted from road debris/sand, so it might be wise to put some clear Lamin-x on top.
    I've never been lucky enough to go a year without a fog cracking on me. I then usually end up buying a pair on here or from a wrecking yard if they are in good enough shape.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee328 View Post
    I think I need to re-coat my fogs. The paint will eventually become pitted from road debris/sand
    I pulled mine apart to spary the insides of mine that I originally bought as "yellow glass" which ended up peeling from HID's on the inside, We'll see how it holds up after I get my wheels rebuilt and drive the car again to see if it holds up.

It also claims it can withstand temperatures of 500-degrees which would be great for people with HID fogs.
    I have Krylon on the inside of my lenses, we'll see how they hold up in my HID situation.

My Cars
    2002 Ford Mustang
    This is pretty sweet, guys. Good info.
    Drives Mustang, Isn't a Guido.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Got the can of Krylon Stained Glass today. I can post pictures of the Dupli-Color vs Krylon Fog if someone Really wants - But I feel its pointless as they both turned out looking identical.. Overall though, I think the Dupli-color Metalcast is superior to the Krylon.

1. Full size spray can.
    2. Great adjustable Even-Spray nozzle.
    3. Costs about the same.
    4. Claims to withstand 500ºF.
    5. Drys Way Faster then the Krylon.
    6. Much easier to find in-stores.

My Cars
    go fast.
    Got the can of Krylon Stained Glass today. I can post pictures of the Dupli-Color vs Krylon Fog if someone Really wants - But I feel its pointless as they both turned out looking identical.. Overall though, I think the Dupli-color Metalcast is superior to the Krylon.

1. Full size spray can.
    2. Great adjustable Even-Spray nozzle.
    3. Costs about the same.
    4. Claims to withstand 500ºF.
    5. Drys Way Faster then the Krylon.
    6. Much easier to find in-stores.
    good info, thanks

My Cars
    1994 325i
    I’m curious since so time has passed and I’m sure that more people have done this, which one do you folks recommend? The Krylon Stained Glass or Duplicolor Metal Cast.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post
    Just use laminex... I did and it worked great with good results and its removable too if you decide you dont like it anymore

or

http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/lig...fog_lights.htm

http://store.bimmerworld.com/genuine...hts-p1369.aspx

or ebay
    did you get any error message with these bulbs? had bought a pair of "error free bulbs" and still got the error -.-

My Cars
    1994 325i
    I just wanted to post an update with my experience. I used the Duplicolor Metalcast and the fog lights turned out amazing in my opinion. In fact, I ended up getting a pair of yellow glass lense fog lights in a package deal from someone and I prefer the ones that I painted. Not for just looks either. When driving at night they light things up a lot better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast