Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 Yellow Fog Lights (Where to buy)

My Cars
    A white one
    I sprayed mine last week. Overall light output seems just about the same. This site has all you need to know about yellow automotive lighting:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html

I used 4 coats of Krylon, though only 3 are on in these pics:

I got the paint at my local Michael's. It was $10.
    Last edited by mzmtg; 09-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D
    The hours your BMW spends parked....you don't get those back.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by gsilv View Post
    curious. how much did the painting yellow effect light output?
    It would probably get better. I heard yellow light cuts through the atmostphere better than standard halogen bulbs with a clear housing. This is why it is technically illegal for you to paint your lowbeam lens yellow.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    where can u get the glass stain? i got the krylon multi purpose sprayed it on there.. an it looked horribleee. it just caked paint on it? i went everywhere to look for the stain glass spray

My Cars
    03 m3, 20 VW Tig R Black
    i ended up finding some at a fairly local art supply store. you should be able to google it and find a couple places to order it from, just make sure the Krylon style# K9024 is the one you get. i just did mine last weekend and it came out super good. you want to do at least 3 light coats with ample drying time in between each and more drying time prior to handling them to remount to your car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    yea thanks bro, when i did it.. it looked like i took a paint brush to them aha. had to use nail polish to remove it an it came right off with a hard rub

My Cars
    1998 323is
    what about krylon sprayed or lamin-x'd with HID's in the back? make an difference?

Dinan|ZKW|Prolumen|H&R|Bilstein|JTD|Stromung

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik wit it View Post
    what about krylon sprayed or lamin-x'd with HID's in the back? make an difference?
    I'd like to see this!

Coffee, what tint of yellow did you use? Are tehre different shades of yellow that Krylon makes? I don't really like the factory tint of yellow but really like the shade you've got on your car!

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    I just ordered the laminex....if I get tired I just remove it. Only like $20? Well worth it and has lasted for a long time and looks great IMO

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    I'd like to see this!

Coffee, what tint of yellow did you use? Are tehre different shades of yellow that Krylon makes? I don't really like the factory tint of yellow but really like the shade you've got on your car!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    where can u get the glass stain? i got the krylon multi purpose sprayed it on there.. an it looked horribleee. it just caked paint on it? i went everywhere to look for the stain glass spray
    did you people even read this thread?

maybe you guys should focus on stuff like matters first, like maintenance. go buy a bentley manual. change your oil. put in new transmission & differential fluid. change the fuel filter. new spark plugs, new air filter. check your suspension for wear and for play, and replace parts as required. don't throw on parts with fancy names like 'coilovers' without understanding what they do (spoiler alert: you don't need coilovers unless you're tracking the car). do your brakes: new pads, rotors, then lubricate them, and flush the brake fluid. flush your radiator. check everything. start a maintenance log.

wash your car, then wax it. keep it out of the sun. keep it looking fresh.

then worry about exterior mods & aesthetic upgrades.

your e36 is a beautiful car. don't abuse it and destroy it by focusing on unimportant things like yellow fog lights.

i find it hard to believe that you are doing a good job maintaining your vehicle if you can't even read this thread. there is only one shade of the YELLOW krylon 'stained glass color' spray paint. several people, myself included, have discussed what type of paint to use, in this very same thread. READ the posts above.

i don't know what made you think that regular spray paint would work on your lights. you might as well paint your windshield with some latex paint & a paint roller while you're at it.

seriously. maintenance comes first. bring your car up to factory spec, then worry about stuff like yellow foglights. take baby steps. learn the fundamentals. you can teach yourself. get a book, start with new oil & brakes. buy tools as you go.

and have a good weekend.

My Cars
    03 m3, 20 VW Tig R Black
    alheim,
    As I agree with you 100% on the maintenance being # 1 on the list of things to do before modification, there is no problem with a little DIY $7 trick to get the look you like such as yellow fogs etc. Also Having a coilover suspension is a great way to improve handling in general of your car whether you track it or not.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    I'm going to agree with gsilv for 2 reasons:

1) alheim seems to assume that because people are looking to do this mod that they're neglecting the most basic maintenance protocols. Assuming only makes an ass out of you (and now me, I suppose).

2) It's not against the rules to ask a bloody question. I've read this thread a couple times over and once more since you're rather aggressive post and nowehre ITT does is say "there is only one shade of yellow Krylon." It was a legitimate question to ask which shade was used. Now that my question has been answered, I suppose I'll have to thank you as well...

Have a good weekend and for those who live in Canada, Happy Thanksgiving.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    i got 3k bulbs in mine...
    Need graphic design work? LookAtMeSmile.com

Quote Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
    Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboM3 View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of E36 yellow fog lights? Also does anyone know what company makes these lights?

Thanks,
    Mark

We have Genuine European BMW Yellow Fogs available below...

Click HERE for more information.

For anyone who might be looking for an alternative to replacing their actual fog lights we also have several colors of Lamin-X to choose from, including yellow!

We also offer replacement fog light bulbs in Pure Yellow.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
    Joe
    Last edited by ECSTuningJames; 10-11-2010 at 07:53 AM.

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alheim View Post
    did you people even read this thread?

maybe you guys should focus on stuff like matters first, like maintenance. go buy a bentley manual. change your oil. put in new transmission & differential fluid. change the fuel filter. new spark plugs, new air filter. check your suspension for wear and for play, and replace parts as required. don't throw on parts with fancy names like 'coilovers' without understanding what they do (spoiler alert: you don't need coilovers unless you're tracking the car). do your brakes: new pads, rotors, then lubricate them, and flush the brake fluid. flush your radiator. check everything. start a maintenance log.

wash your car, then wax it. keep it out of the sun. keep it looking fresh.

then worry about exterior mods & aesthetic upgrades.

your e36 is a beautiful car. don't abuse it and destroy it by focusing on unimportant things like yellow fog lights.

i find it hard to believe that you are doing a good job maintaining your vehicle if you can't even read this thread. there is only one shade of the YELLOW krylon 'stained glass color' spray paint. several people, myself included, have discussed what type of paint to use, in this very same thread. READ the posts above.

i don't know what made you think that regular spray paint would work on your lights. you might as well paint your windshield with some latex paint & a paint roller while you're at it.

seriously. maintenance comes first. bring your car up to factory spec, then worry about stuff like yellow foglights. take baby steps. learn the fundamentals. you can teach yourself. get a book, start with new oil & brakes. buy tools as you go.

and have a good weekend.
    100% agreed but I can speak for my car when I say it runs 100% and I reward the car sometimes with little "upgrades"

I would rather have an M3 with a strong motor and mechanically sound than a stanceworks car that is completely beat to shit and they think its cool (not speaking to some of the guys on here who have done it right but for the most part...you know what I mean)
    But yes maintenance first!

Quote Originally Posted by 3mpowered View Post
    i'm going to agree with gsilv for 2 reasons:

1) alheim seems to assume that because people are looking to do this mod that they're neglecting the most basic maintenance protocols. assuming only makes an ass out of you (and now me, i suppose).

2) it's not against the rules to ask a bloody question. I've read this thread a couple times over and once more since you're rather aggressive post and nowehre itt does is say "there is only one shade of yellow krylon." it was a legitimate question to ask which shade was used. Now that my question has been answered, i suppose i'll have to thank you as well...

Have a good weekend and for those who live in canada, happy thanksgiving.
    this.
    Last edited by boomersooner523; 10-11-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I am really interested in this DIY. I really like coffee's light setup, but he has ellipsoids. I have North American headlights, so it will be much more difficult. Has anyone opened them up before?

Before I even think too much about it, does anyone know if it is even legal to paint the daylights/high beams yellow? The two inside lights are the daytime running lights and high beams, while the outer two are the normal headlights.

It is to my understanding that the headlights must remain clear/stock. I am not sure about the daytime/high beams. I know the fogs are legally allowed to be yellow.

PS I live in Canada.

Nevermind, here's what I got from the Highway Traffic Act for Ontario:

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles
    62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).
    Last edited by skeo; 11-04-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 track car, e36 daily
    i run yellow bulbs in clear housings in my fogs, 4300k highs and 5000k hid lows. this is going to give you the best results if your looking for light out put. has the actual yellow light defines objects better when in foggy rainy or bad weather when you want to use fog lights hence their name. i laminxed both my lows and highs on my old e30 and it was the same out put and light defiantion as standard but yellow. while i never got pulled over for it i didnt drive much at night nor have the car long anyway. As someone who drives in the city as well as through a national park often i can say that my above mentioned setup works well. some cars like lexus come from the factory with "frenched" fog light bulbs. for the most part they are legal since fog lights are an auxillary light and not a primary. now if your doing this mainly for cosmetics laminx should be fine.
    1985 325e 5-speed (R.I.P)
    1989 325is 5-speed-sold
    1994 318is 5-speed DASC project
    2001 dodge intrepid (till i get an e46)

My Cars
    1997 328is
    nice. while we're at it: your clear corners, why do they have an amber tint? is that the amber bulb inside making it look that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee328 View Post
    Yep, it's the amber bulb inside.
    coffee: thanks. i'm going to take the car off of the road for a few months, wrench it, after which i'll post a few photos, if i remember.
    coffee, do you know which clear corners (brand) you have?

My Cars
    1998 328i
    coffee, do you know which clear corners (brand) you have?
    They're OEM clears.

And also relevant to this thread, I just 'frenched' some ZKWs again...since my old ones were bashed along with the front end damage.

mmmmm........

Last edited by coffee328; 12-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    ^ That's a lovely hue of yellow. I couldn't stand how washed out the laminex yellow looked when I got a fog light that had it.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    thanks coffee.

what type of damage did you incur?

mine is in the shop right now getting a new hood, grille, and of course painting/blending the fenders. i'm installing ellipsoids & new, non-pitted fogs while i'm at it. i'm also getting rid of a gouge in the rear fender, and some other small details (new window seals etc.). i decided to stick with the stock, non-M bumper, at least for now. i can't wait for the work to be done, since it'll probably look better than it did before the damage.

$4,200 into a car that's technically only worth about $5k, but hell, i think it's worth it

i can't decide if i want clear corners. typically i actually prefer amber corners, but your car makes me think twice about it.
    Last edited by alheim; 12-12-2010 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    It'll be gratifying to see everything all fixed up.
    I'm usually all for ambers myself...and I only bought clears b/c I thought they worked better with the yellow lighting.

Well my entire front bumper was damaged. One fog was busted. My underpanel was all bashed up, and a few fan blades cracked on the auxiliary fan.

Tonight, I finished getting the bumper, trim, fogs, and underpanel back on. Just have to tweak a few things in the morning.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    NOOOOO! What happened!?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    he probably just hit a curb or a parking stop.

there are no holes/slats at the top of your hood - aftermarket? i thought maybe it was sedan vs. coupe, but i thought they uesd the same hood.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    NOOOOO! What happened!?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1551087

he probably just hit a curb or a parking stop.

there are no holes/slats at the top of your hood - aftermarket? i thought maybe it was sedan vs. coupe, but i thought they uesd the same hood.
    You know, I've never even noticed that about the hood. I've never replaced it, so I assume it's OE.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    hrmm.

next time you're under the hood, see if the VIN on the hood matches your car's VIN. there's a little placard on each panel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast