Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 coolant temp sensor in LS1

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    exactly!

Now I just have to figure out what to do for the VDO gauge that I have inplace of the OBC.
    Does the VDO gauge have its own sender? If so, you could drill and tap a hole in the cylinder head to accept that third sender.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    yeah it does, but I hate the idea of drilling and tapping into a pair of LS6 heads... May let the machine shop do that one.

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Another option is to use adapter. I believe this is what you might need. Perhaps you can contact them to make sure: Click Here For Adapter
    so just to verify, if i have 95- car, this is the adapter that i need?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    NO!

Water Temperature Sending Unit Adapter
    Part # BMW-127. Shipping weight, 1 lb

Using the BMW water temperature sending unit in the Chevrolet engine will make the BMW water temperature gauge read accurately.

The BMW water temperature sending unit has a 14mm x 1.5 thread. Stealth Conversions has a brass adapter (shown above) that accepts the BMW water temperature sending unit, and has a 3/8 pipe thread (NPT) that screws into the Chevrolet heads or intake manifold. If you have an older engine which has 1/2 pipe fittings, a 1/2 to 3/8 brass bushing can be obtained at most plumbing or automotive stores.
    It needs to be an M12 to M14 adapter.... or mill down the 95 sensor to fit in the 12x1.5mm hole... Ask 375i
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 07-09-2010 at 02:00 PM.

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    NO!

It needs to be an M10 to M12 adapter.... or mill down the 95 sensor to fit in the 10mm hole...
    This is also incorrect, the hole in the LSx head is a m12x1.5

The pre '96 bmw coolant temp sensor for the gauge is a m14.

To make that sensor work, you will either have to find a m14 to m12 adapter(good luck!!) or mill down the sensor threads and re-thread it to to m12x1.5 like I did.
    Last edited by 357i; 07-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Woops sorry I had a differen sensor in my mind! Edited post

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    This is also incorrect, the hole in the LSx head is a m12x1.5

The pre '96 bmw coolant temp sensor for the gauge is a m14.

To make that sensor work, you will either have to find a m14 to m12 adapter(good luck!!) or mill down the sensor threads and re-thread it to to m12x1.5 like I did.
    ...Or purchase a 14mm tap and corresponding drill bit then open up and tap the threaded hole in the LSx to accept the 14mm sensor. ;-) Probably cheaper and faster than sourcing a specific 12mm to 14mm fitting.

...Edit...
    Of if you already have a 3/8 NPT tap, you could use the JTR adapter linked below that specifically fits the early BMW temp sender.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...mpSending.html

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Ok so there are X number of ways to go about this:

*Of if you already have a 3/8 NPT tap, you could use the JTR adapter linked below that specifically fits the early BMW temp sender.
    http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...mpSending.html

*purchase a 14mm tap and corresponding drill bit then open up and tap the threaded hole in the LSx to accept the 14mm sensor. ;-) Probably cheaper and faster than sourcing a specific 12mm to 14mm fitting.

*Mill down the sensor threads and re-thread it to to m12x1.5 like I did.

*It does look like the '96 and newer snesor will work, but it has a 4 prong connector rather than the 2. You can use this sensor but it will give a false reading.

Lets collaborate and make sure we have the information CORRECT.
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 07-09-2010 at 02:20 PM.

My Cars
    E39

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Ok I am going to add it to the Wiki

Maybe Quote it in your first post so there isn't any searching needed?

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    For reference:

12 mm x 1.5 mm GM LS1 sensor on the right. 12 mm x 1.5mm 96+ BMW sensor (95% certain) on the left, with an epoxied two wire pigtail to fit a stock 93 318i dash water temp gauge plug. Both are out of my LS2 engine'd E36. The BMW sensor is for sale if anyone is interested.

You can see the differences in length (marginal) but the BMW sensor plugs right into the stock heads on an LSx head without any modifications necessary. It also reads correctly on the stock water temp gauge.

I moved onto a dedicated electronic water temp gauge and disconnected the dash gauge entirely.

John
    E36 LS2
    Last edited by Maynor; 07-09-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spulling

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Does anyone have any evidence to support the early vs late gauge temp senders ohm curve being different?

If not lets put it to bed. Someone post the ohm readings of their early sensor at 60 degrees F and 200 degrees F. Use a pan of water for both measurements, verify water temps are stable during readings, allow the sender to stabilize before taking reading, do not let the temp sender to rest on the bottom of the pan during the heat portion as the burner will influence. Only submerge the sender up to the top of the threads to keep consistency with these measurements.
    Here are the readings from my '97 M3 4 prong sender for the gauge.

Temp gauge pictured was checked for accuracy against an infra-red temp gun and Fluke Temp probe, dial was within 3% at 60 and 200. Overall all temp vs ohm readings should be in the neighborhood of +/- 10%.

4 prong BMW temp sender-gauge.
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...3%20B%33%32%20

60 degrees F = approx 8000 ohms.
    200 degrees F = approx 500 ohms.

Last edited by BRAAP; 07-09-2010 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    Good test but is it really critical they be exact?

The BMW temp display is a dummy gauge anyway isn't it? 3 modes: "Off - You have heat - You're overheated" modes no? The gauge doesn't fluctuate according to temp. from my experiences so far.

Its mostly a "hey, you're overheated" only type of gauge like most OEM's do For that purpose. slight variation in the resistance curve, assuming any exists, won't really matter.

Or is that not accurate for all model years?

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    I am not sure, but I want it to be as accurate as possible...

I still will have an aftermarket gauge, but it would be nice to use the idiot gauge as a quick check.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynor View Post
    Good test but is it really critical they be exact?

Exact? No it doesn't need to be exact but it does need to be close if you want your gauge to read with any sort of accuracy.

The BMW temp display is a dummy gauge anyway isn't it? 3 modes: "Off - You have heat - You're overheated" modes no? The gauge doesn't fluctuate according to temp. from my experiences so far.

Its mostly a "hey, you're overheated" only type of gauge like most OEM's do For that purpose. slight variation in the resistance curve, assuming any exists, won't really matter.
    That would be a wrong assumption. What you are describing is a properly function cooling system, the gauge is merely in indicator of that. Here is a quick and dirty explanation of the temp gauge and sender.
    The gauge is an analog display of the coolant temp. The resistance of the sender tells the gauge where to point. As the engine warms up, the needle on the temp gauge rises. If the thermostat is doing its job and the coolant level is full and the radiator is doing its job, the engine temp gauge will rise to approx. mid point and remain, possibly fluctuating a skosch either way, remaining mostly stable. If something goes awry, thermostat sticks, loss of coolant, radiator plugged, etc, then the temp gauge will crawl up as the engine gets hotter, "indicating" to hopefully an alert nut behind the wheel, that something is wrong with the cooling system and appropriate action needs to be taken.
    Now if the resistance values of the sender are off by more than 10% or so to what the gauge is calibrated for, it will read inaccurately, high or low depending on if the values are high or low. As such it is important that the values be close. +/- 5-10% is not that big of deal. As you suggested, the temp gauge is for reference, not a precision instrument, but its sender should be close in resistance values to what it was designed for.

Back in the old days temp warning was merely an idiot light and a switch. Engine gets hot enough to to match the switches preset temp threshold, switch goes on illuminating the HOT light. Engine cold, switch open, no light. You had no way to know if the engine was colder or hotter than normal. Personally, I prefer a gauge and a light. Light is to get the drivers attention, gauge to indicate the severity of the condition.

Hope that helps explain the function and purpose of the temp gauge as used in all cars.
    Last edited by BRAAP; 07-09-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Typos.

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3

Smile I guess its a new question now that I think about it....

I understand all that. That's what a dash based temp gauge SHOULD do. But I know for certain, that's not what they ALL do. Ford for example, except for the gas gauge/speedo/tach, most of the later model cars dash gauges are idiot gauges. They never move in relation to real-time sensor change except in the fashion I spoke about.

GM's gauges are mostly real and actually have temp figures demarcated with moving needles as the sensor gives real-time feedback.

Ford and BMW do not demarcate their gauges. My experience with the E36 gauges, on track (its a track only car so lots of high rpm, full load driving), is it doesn't move unless there is "No heat, Heat or Over heated" situation.

Hence the original question. I may not be right and my car my be unique so YMMV. The lack of numerical demarcation and the behavior I observed on track is what led me to that presumption.. and presumptions are meant to be broken.

Anyone know if the gauge is an idiot gauge or real? I also agree, I prefer a gauge with a warning light... which is what I switched to for peace of mind.

John
    Last edited by Maynor; 07-09-2010 at 06:22 PM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Maynor you are correct, some gauges do that. For example for my E39 I had to get a separate VDO temp gauge because the stock E39 gauge is a dummy gauge. When warmed up, it moves to the mid position and never moves unless the engine overheats or cools down. Thats unacceptable for me.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Brrrrraaaaaaaaaappppppp - (Where did you come up with that user name? lol)

Can I send you an OBD I sensor and have you test it so we have concrete data keeping all other variables the same? ie test instruments etc.

That way we can map a curve and get this resolved for good.

Another Paul
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 07-09-2010 at 06:49 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    I understand all that. That's what a dash based temp gauge SHOULD do. But I know for certain, that's not what they ALL do. Ford for example, except for the gas gauge/speedo/tach, most of the later model cars dash gauges are idiot gauges. They never move in relation to real-time sensor change except in the fashion I spoke about.

GM's gauges are mostly real and actually have temp figures demarcated with moving needles as the sensor gives real-time feedback.

Ford and BMW do not demarcate their gauges. My experience with the E36 gauges, on track (its a track only car so lots of high rpm, full load driving), is it doesn't move unless there is "No heat, Heat or Over heated" situation.

Hence the original question. I may not be right and my car my be unique so YMMV. The lack of numerical demarcation and the behavior I observed on track is what led me to that presumption.. and presumptions are meant to be broken.

Anyone know if the gauge is an idiot gauge or real? I also agree, I prefer a gauge with a warning light... which is what I switched to for peace of mind.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Maynor you are correct, some gauges do that. For example for my E39 I had to get a separate VDO temp gauge because the stock E39 gauge is a dummy gauge. When warmed up, it moves to the mid position and never moves unless the engine overheats or cools down. Thats unacceptable for me.

Hmmm… Interesting, in all my years building and racing sports car, I have not run across this style of temp gauge, (we mostly cater to the old Datsun Z cars, Rusch Motorposrts LLC), nor do I like the sounds of it. One thing I have learned since I started in the high performance sports car industry is regarding any OE gauges, whether it is temp or oil pressure, numbers on the face does not indicate a gauge is calibrated with any sort of accuracy vs another gauge that doesn’t have any numbers/figure/demarcates, one just has numbers that "loosely" represent the figures depicted, either one is really no more or less accurate than the other and could be calibrated to indicate more accurately if one takes the time to mess with the gauge, needle, tik marks, etc. This 3 step indicator thing is as step blow the idiot light! The idiot light at least glows to get the drivers attention!

Brrrrraaaaaaaaaappppppp - (Where did you come up with that user name? lol)

Can I send you an OBD I sensor and have you test it so we have concrete data keeping all other variables the same? ie test instruments etc.

That way we can map a curve and get this resolved for good.

Another Paul
    Sure thing. I'll PM you the shipping address.

BRAAP came from the local sports car club I Auto-Cross with since the late ‘80’s. My first Datsun Z with the inline 6 had an incredible exhaust note, club called the car BRAAP due to its exhaust note. The name stuck, I was young and stupid then, bought vanity plate, use it only the track cars now.
    One of many Z cars I have had over the years…

BRAAAP… BRAAAAAAAAP….. BRAAAaaaaaaaaaa………….

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAAP View Post
    This 3 step indicator thing is as step below the idiot light!
    Couldn't have said it better.

by the way sweet Z

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    E39
    I will agree that the late model fords(04+) trucks have "dummy" gauges. There is a range that puts the needle right in the middle of the "normal" zone, when it ecceeds that range, it jumps to the red

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    I will agree that the late model fords(04+) trucks have "dummy" gauges. There is a range that puts the needle right in the middle of the "normal" zone, when it ecceeds that range, it jumps to the red
    Soooo friggin retarded and pointless.

Now where did I set my Rogue Brewery, Dead Guy Ale? ...
    Last edited by BRAAP; 07-09-2010 at 09:18 PM.

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    wow crazy looking z!!!!

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    I love the old Z cars. Nice niche to focus on Braap! You know one car pic isn't going to be enough... post another thread with a selection of cars please. And you're right, idiot gauges are a step of below a simple warning light which will catch you're attention..

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    For reference:

12 mm x 1.5 mm GM LS1 sensor on the right. 12 mm x 1.5mm 96+ BMW sensor (95% certain) on the left, with an epoxied two wire pigtail to fit a stock 93 318i dash water temp gauge plug. Both are out of my LS2 engine'd E36. The BMW sensor is for sale if anyone is interested.

You can see the differences in length (marginal) but the BMW sensor plugs right into the stock heads on an LSx head without any modifications necessary. It also reads correctly on the stock water temp gauge.

I moved onto a dedicated electronic water temp gauge and disconnected the dash gauge entirely.

John
    E36 LS2
    Not sure if that is BMW e36 96+ sensor as they have round connectors. Here is the pic of my 96+ sensor

- 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast