Thread: The Roadster is back on the Road!!

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i

The Roadster is back on the Road!!

Well, after more than 4 months I am pleased to report that the car is finally back on the road. Let me start from the beginning... In early February I started to do some upgrades to the car. In late February, while at work, I was welding on a logging truck when the extension ladder I was on collapsed. My legs became tangled in the ladder, which then became tangled in the truck, causing me to flip upside-down and my head to slam into the concrete floor. This resulted in injuries to both knees, the right knee requiring surgery, and a brain injury that will heal with time.

The first thing I did was remove all four plastic liners from the wheel wells. Next I washed the entire floorpan & wheels wells, which were covered in asphalt, because the original owner had at some point driven through wet asphalt. There were literally thousands of tiny asphalt dots with sand embedded in them on the bottom of the car.

I then proceeded to remove all of the suspension and press out all the original rubber bushings, which I replaced with PowerFlex poly bushings. After two weeks of driving, I have heard no squeaks or any other noises. I also did not use the lube that PowerFlex supplied - instead I went with Anti-Seize. I installed the rear camber & toe kits as well - a must for any lowered car. Next I went with TC Kline SA coil-overs - I realize there are others that are equally as good - Ground Control for example - but I was very impressed with these. I dealt with TC himself & the customer service was excellent. A tip for anyone that wants to go very low - get the shortie rear springs -the white ones that come with the kit leave the ass end too high.

Braking was the next thing to upgrade. New cross-drilled, zinc-plated rotors, Hawk ceramic brake pads and UUC brake and clutch lines were installed. The pedal feel is noticably improved and braking is still excellent.

With 74,000 miles on the clock I decided to replace the water pump, belts and tensioners. I also installed a set of EuroSport underdrive pulleys as well as doing the fan delete. I opted for the Spal 16" puller fan and fan controller. I also replaced the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one and an 80* thermostat. I am pleased to report that the temperature gauge never goes past 1/2 way no matter how hot it gets outside.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I had to share the entire experience. I will include some pics shortly.(pics added)

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/2010%20Mods/
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 07-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I think the real story here is you being back on the road. What a terrible sounding injury, I am happy you are doing well enough to tackle projects!

Congrats on your projects and continued improving health.

BR,
    Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Wow you had some good injuries there. Hopefully you head has recovered trom the trama. Just sitting at home cleaning the roady, good therapy

You owe yourself a nice long cruise. Enjoy
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Geez man, sounds horrible. Good to hear you are healing well.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words.

Yes, it was a pretty bad fall - about 10'. Like they say " Time heals all wounds". I'm not able to take the car on long trips yet due to the head injury - it causes severe dizzy spells and migraines. Once the doctors says it's OK I am gonna drive the car til the wheels fall off - LOL!!

The search feature on this forum is awesome!! I used it to research each mod I did to the car.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    Well, after more than 4 months I am pleased to report that the car is finally back on the road. Let me start from the beginning... In early February I started to do some upgrades to the car. In late February, while at work, I was welding on a logging truck when the extension ladder I was on collapsed. My legs became tangled in the ladder, which then became tangled in the truck, causing me to flip upside-down and my head to slam into the concrete floor. This resulted in injuries to both knees, the right knee requiring surgery, and a brain injury that will heal with time.
    My head hurts just from reading that! Glad you made it through to tell about it.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    I'll send you some pain killers

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0, TR8
    Sounds like you found some great therapy, the car. Glad to hear that you are determined to get better, your positive attitude will get you there in no time. All the best.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    ... This resulted in injuries to both knees, the right knee requiring surgery, and a brain injury that will heal with time.

The first thing I did was remove all four plastic liners from the wheel wells.
    I love this transition.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster, 4Runner
    was the z3 purchase before or after the head injury? :-)

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Z.edhead View Post
    Sounds like you found some great therapy, the car. Glad to hear that you are determined to get better, your positive attitude will get you there in no time. All the best.
    It really was good therapy. I figure life is too short, so don't let it get to you
    Thanks for your kind thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Markl006 View Post
    was the z3 purchase before or after the head injury? :-)
    The car was bought before the injury

Quote Originally Posted by dougmcintyre View Post
    I love this transition.
    I just read the post over and I had to laugh, that is an interesting transition. Thats what happens when the brain is neutral!
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 07-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    98 M roady
    What exaust is that in your album? Looks beastly!

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by MJake View Post
    Dinan. Meh.

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    Congrats on the recovery and the car looks great! Everything looks so nice and clean underneath with tasteful mods. Nice work!

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by MJake View Post
    felonious monk nailed it, they are Dinan. They are a bit on the large side but I don't mind them. At an idle they are very quiet but when you get going they sound pretty good, still not too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch138 View Post
    Congrats on the recovery and the car looks great! Everything looks so nice and clean underneath with tasteful mods. Nice work!
    Thanks for the complements.

Here are some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 07-08-2010 at 02:31 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    That's a heart warming story. I love these cars.