Thread: '97 E31 Suspension Rattle?????

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740iL

'97 E31 Suspension Rattle?????

Alright, not to sure if this is a common BMW problem but I just purchased a 840ci with a suspension rattle in the front. Every time I hit a rough spot on the road it will make a rattle and you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel. I'm not sure if there is a bushing that causes this or the strut is bad or... HELP! haha..

In the past i've had the same problem with my 98 740iL and when I had my Hartge wheels on, it was more noticeable with the extra weight. Aslo my 91 325is has the same problem, but not nearly as bad.

I'm guessing being aging vehicles its a bushing or strut?.. Can anyone help me narrow this down?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Not quite similar suspension to the 740, but same gist.

Upper and lower control arms.

Lowers wear about 2:1 to the uppers.

Edit:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=31&fg=05

Parts 9, 10 and 13.

Could also be a upper strut mount....but 95% on the control arms.....
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 07-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Check that the suspect side is tightned down and that a strut is not bad, Kick the top of the wheel, If it's really bad, It should move a tad.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740iL
    Alright, I went out and did some kicking and prying... Took the wheel off and snapped some pics. Does anything seem out of order to you guys? To my untrained eye everything seems pretty clean and in place.....
    Also, when I hit the top of the wheels, there is no movement, but there is slight vibrating movement when I kick it back and forth or the front or back... Another thing to, when I apply brake, even just a 1/4 of the pedal, the rattle and vibrations are not there... ...

And while crawling around underneath I found a leak. Any help here?...

And! Might as well throw up a picture of the car as a whole...

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Nice looking car!
    It appears to be a dried up liquid going down the strut assembly, Does it dribble like a bad strut on that side, It show's one of the warning signs with the fluid travel, Push down on each front side to see if there's a noticeable difference in shock rebound.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    Almost impossible to check visually, you need to pull and push around a bit but I can see, the bump stop and strut piston cover detached/missing, thrust arm bushes look very worn, and if the rattle goes when you apply the brakes it could be the pads rattling or thrust arm bushes.
    I would replace the drop links also as they can rattle rather than knock.

My Cars
    840 ci
    Also are you sure it isn't just brake rattle ?My 840 rattles on nearside untill I change the pads,then it's ok for about 7000miles then the rattle comes back.(seized caliper ?)Obviously the brake guy gave me five sets of pads for free !so it's a cheap fix...but it does work every time.Cheers ,Joel

My Cars
    850ci
    Had same symptoms- braking loads up the suspension and the bushings. I replaced uppers and lowers- problem gone.
    1997 Cosmos Black 850 Ci somewhere on PCH.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740iL
    There may be a brake rattle, but still every big bump in the road, the suspension vibrates off the initial hit a couple times... ... On some of them, if your not holding the wheel tight, she'll get away on you.... haha

The brakes haven't been sticking at all, they are making a little noise telling me they could be changed though. I wouldnt mind getting everything done thats needs to be in one sitting though... ...

Any ideas guys on the leak by the front of the tranny/rear engine? I've noticed once in a while if you step on it hard off the line, there is a binding sound on the launch.. but from a 5mph roll, everything sounds and works normal...

By the way, thanks for the all the comments guys. It's really helping a lot. Atleast it's narrowed down to a few possibilities
    Last edited by Ruby740il; 07-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.

My Cars
    840 ci
    Aha! Thats why it does it (no noise if slight brake pressure applied)....hope you sort out your problem,I think you may have cured mine....ha,ha,ha.more stuff to get......

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelchester View Post
    Aha! Thats why it does it (no noise if slight brake pressure applied)....hope you sort out your problem,I think you may have cured mine....ha,ha,ha.more stuff to get......
    What else are you getting?... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by boltnbrew View Post
    Had same symptoms- braking loads up the suspension and the bushings. I replaced uppers and lowers- problem gone.
    I think thats might be what i'll end up doing first.. along with the brakes. I'll keep you guys updated.

PS - you guys that have done the replacements.. Is there a brand I should look for or stay away from?.. A few of my searches led me to Meyle HD, Lemfoerder..... or any trusted sites to order from?
    Last edited by Ruby740il; 07-01-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E31
    Worn struts.

My Cars
    91 850i, 07 Monte Carlo
    For sure Worn struts amongst a hell of a lot more by the looks of it....Very dry, I would take it to a reputable front end shop or your nearest Bimmer man and have an estimate done....They will tell you what you need and most of the time it's free for the estimate...