Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us your rear spoiler / wing.

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i

Show us your rear spoiler / wing.

I was wondering if you gentlemen would be so kind as to share with the group your rear spoiler / wing. I am sure there has been some experimentation with using spoilers form other model cars. I am curious to see what has worked. I just found a nice Zender spoiler for an old MB on eBay...wondering if it will fit my car???

My Cars
    1982 320i
    I'm not trying to tell you not to want a rear spoiler. However, I will say that I haven't seen a rear spoiler on an e21 that I liked, not even the little is or whatever lip. Also I doubt that an e21, unless it's suspension is totally redesigned ala that one group 3 replica car with the VAC front suspension, will ever find it's weak link in the "down-force" department.

Well of course, except for the group 5 cars.

Just saying.

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    I'm not wanting one for function, just for looks. There are a few members here that have tasteful spoilers. What I really want to find is a wing from another car that will fit and is cheap...I particularly like BoostedE21's VW spoiler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '79 320i, '77 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
    I'm not wanting one for function, just for looks. There are a few members here that have tasteful spoilers. What I really want to find is a wing from another car that will fit and is cheap...I particularly like BoostedE21's VW spoiler.

I too like this spoiler What year/make /model did this come off of? How was it attached?

PJ

DD-1979 Bmw 320i 84,000miles long tube header...more to come------Wheeler- 1989 Jeep cherokee, 4.5" lift 31" Tsl Boggers yadda yadda yadda...

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    Boostede21 is not sure of what VW it came from. another member suggested that it was from an 80's VW MK2. I would love to get this info...that spoiler really sets off the back end of the car, retaining the downward slope lines.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
    I'm not trying to tell you not to want a rear spoiler. However, I will say that I haven't seen a rear spoiler on an e21 that I liked, not even the little is or whatever lip. Also I doubt that an e21, unless it's suspension is totally redesigned ala that one group 3 replica car with the VAC front suspension, will ever find it's weak link in the "down-force" department.

Well of course, except for the group 5 cars.

Just saying.
    I disagree with you on a couple points. I doubt front suspension design will have much effect on the downforce needs of any car. Regardless, while they may not create significant downforce, small lip spoilers ARE functional and can actually reduce drag and lift.

I also am not sure how I feel about spoilers on an e21 which is why I've never installed one. Sometimes I think they're ok, other times I think they look bad.

Oh yeah, and that's a 2002... :P

I thought he used to have an e30 spoiler (which does fit without modification). Interesting...

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    Turbo E21,12 WRX,03 S2K
    Yes, its am MK2 Jetta spoiler (thats for the reminder). The very tip of it does hang past the trunk (both sides) a little bit and when closing the lip, it pushes the tips up a tiny bit. There is an easy fit for the tiny lifting by trimming it down 1-2mm's and its set.

Not sure if I'm going to sell it or not just yet, but if I do, ill post it here first.

E21 LEGION

Crypto success: http://brief.watchersfrontline.com/SHV

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    here is a foha (with the end tabs cut off) on Chris' Koronasgelb:

Same spoiler on my current car (before I got my hands on it):

I also have an un-molested foha sitting in my garage that I just can't bring myself to install (but can't seem to let go of either). I don't hink they look bad, they definately give them a sportier look, and decrease lift & drag like Josh said. However, sometimes, less is more, and I just think my current car looks more classic & cleaner without it.

I've got the sport, I don't need the look.
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    I thought he used to have an e30 spoiler (which does fit without modification). Interesting...
    Well, that's some useful info. I'm sure there are a lot more options in the e30 spoiler department.

EDIT: I just found one that I like for the e30...you sure this will fit?
    Last edited by switlikbob; 07-01-2010 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    1982 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    I disagree with you on a couple points. I doubt front suspension design will have much effect on the downforce needs of any car. Regardless, while they may not create significant downforce, small lip spoilers ARE functional and can actually reduce drag and lift.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that the front suspension would have much effect on downforce, just that without suspension mods you won't get to a speed in corners where needing downforce would be the weak link.

Also, of course you are correct that lip spoilers can reduce drag and lift, but they can also create drag and lift, like the Jag XKR's lip which was added so that the proper height of the rear brake light could be achieved but which causes the car got get squirrely above 120mph. I guess it comes down to one of those things that I hate to see because 99 times out of 100 it was just stuck on without any testing or effort to see what the modification would produce and just a "common sense" approach, which is usually crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320
    I also am not sure how I feel about spoilers on an e21 which is why I've never installed one. Sometimes I think they're ok, other times I think they look bad.

Oh yeah, and that's a 2002... :P
    WOW, where was I? :sheepish:

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Yea baby...

Tbd

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    The '82 has the smaller is type spoiler (painted by the PO as with the entire car. I'm undoing some of this.) The '80 has an old Motorsport spoiler, a BIG fat rubber one that wipes out the spot for a roundel and model number. Don't know if I'm a fan of that, but there it is.
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    I love the motorsport spoiler. I'd kill to get one.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    e28 5-series lips also fit well. they're a little bigger than most lips. i don't have any pictures but i've had one mocked up to my car before and it fits.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    I love the motorsport spoiler. I'd kill to get one.
    The shipping would kill ya! Don't tempt me. The '80 is currently the "English patient" right now in back of my office and in need of some replumbing on the fuel lines (it WILL be done!) and brake work. I'm not a fan of BIG anything on an E21. I like the sleeper look. Thank goodness the pinstriping on the '80 is peeling off.... she's got only 108k miles on her (with the original km speedo so all buyers thought she had 190K miles!)

I'd love to get ahold of one of those over-the-rear-window spoilers (downdraft?) I've seen. That would be the bee's knees.

Well, that's some useful info. I'm sure there are a lot more options in the e30 spoiler department.

EDIT: I just found one that I like for the e30...you sure this will fit?
    DUDE! That's my baby's spoiler!! Are you saying my E21 323 has an E30 spoiler on it? Oh well!
    Last edited by midlifebmw; 07-01-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette
    This spoiler is for a E30- Bought it back in the mid eighties. It's a Zender.

It's for sale - all three pieces $100 plus shipping.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    3 pieces???? What the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY??? Why does it go beyond the C-pillar??? I guess I'm showing my old-school tastes. Gotta go, James is on Sirius right now...

My Cars
    1982 320i
    Pikes Peak wing

Awesome wing of awesomeness... awesome.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    lacks some "bling", nice ironing board though...

Quote Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
    Awesome wing of awesomeness... awesome.
    Now this is a better shot of "true bling":

Last edited by epmedia; 07-01-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post

DUDE! That's my baby's spoiler!! Are you saying my E21 323 has an E30 spoiler on it? Oh well!
    Damn it...it doesn't go past the trunk lid???

I just found this bad johnny on fleabay. It's for an e28. The seller claims it won't fit an e21. I really like this one!
    Last edited by switlikbob; 07-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    77 E21, 92 MR2 Turbo
    Some pics of the Zender on my 77

1977 320i - BBSs, Recaros, LSD, Zender bits

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Damn it...it doesn't go past the trunk lid???

I just found this bad johnny on fleabay. It's for an e28. The seller claims it won't fit an e21. I really like this one!
    Waferman (John) has that same spoiler for his e28 and swears it'll fit on his e21 as well...
    Last edited by Jester323; 07-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester323 View Post
    Waferman (John) has that same spoiler for his e28 and swears it'll fit on his e21 as well...
    I wish he would chime in and confirm. If that spoiler would fit my car with little or no modification, I would have to buy it.

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo

BBS Front and rear spoilers, Zender side skirt, and Zender under the bumper rear skirt.

Deep dish 8 inch BBS RM rims are on there way
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    '78, '80 parts cars
    How about this little beauty? Came on a parts car I bought. Thought it was some homemade plywood monstrosity until I removed it and began cutting it up to put in the garbage.

Turns out it was a steel-reinforced molded plastic wing that some company actually manufactured with a straight face (although they were careful not to put their name on it anywhere!). Must have weighed at least 35 lbs. Who needs rear downforce when you've got all that deadweight bolted to your trunk lid!!!

Ian
    Last edited by ianpringle; 07-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast