Thread: "Head unit not programmed correctly"

My Cars
    bmw e87

"Head unit not programmed correctly"

Hi friend, i have this message on my e87 monitor when start key on. Which program i can use for delete this message ? I have try inpa and dis v55, but the diagnosis not delete this eror. Help me ;-)

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Perhaps you need to update your software with Progman:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 21.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-03-510). (IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not perform software update on E64 (6 Series) with this software version)

1. The "Head unit is not programmed correctly" message is displayed in the CID. M-ASK equipped vehicles onl

My Cars
    bmw e87

have solve

thanksss randomy for reply.... i have after other question for you on SSS, after open other topic

i have solve problem Head unit not programmed correctly with DIS... yes...

it's simple...

Open Dis and wait finish diagnose car... select next button...

view windows DIAGNOSIS SYMPTOM SELECTION select AUDIO VIDEO NAVIGATION.... M-ASK MALFUCTION select next

The diagnosis step now view in windows diagnosis test schedule

select next and start test...

in next windows insert 005 for reprogram module ;-)

All ok ;-)

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Where do I get the file?
    1998 E39-528i, 2005 E60-545i

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    Perhaps you need to update your software with Progman:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 21.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-03-510). (IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not perform software update on E64 (6 Series) with this software version)

1. The "Head unit is not programmed correctly" message is displayed in the CID. M-ASK equipped vehicles onl
    How exactly does one do this?
    I have a VAGcom KLine cable I will be modding (pin 7&8 / FProg inverts...). Will this work to do the job? I do not have Progman yet... I only have INPA, winkfp, NCSEpert and BMW Coding Tools. Where do I find this Progman?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2003 BMW e60
    Hello , i confirm the solution by fabio84 , just fixed " Head unit is not programmed correctly " on my 320d e91 with DIS , by his steps

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jayson, Progman SSS wil work with any OBD interface but is not particularly good software, I would be inclined to try the fix proposed by fabio84 and yteam2003 (i.e. using DIS to remedy the fault). Perhaps either fabio84 or yteam2003 would be kind enough to tell you which version of DIS they are using. I have had Progman SSS v32 for nearly 10 years and apart from playing around with the program for testing purposes, have never had the need to use it to rectify a problem with a car. In my view NCS Expert and WinKFP are far more user friendly and useful software suites as they allow discrete access to work on and change individual modules compared to Progman, which updates the entire vehicle (which can take some time using a conventional interface). Quite a few Progman users have wound up damaging their cars due to premature termination of coding and programming processes.

My Cars
    2003 BMW e60
    all true said by David, Progman SSS is used more by advanced users , more complicated and slower then NCS Expert that is for coding and WinFKP for update modules, as for this error " Head unit is not programmed correctly " any DIS version can fix it, just follow tutorial from fabio84 post and will be done

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Ok off I go to find and install DIS, I will report back.

Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot find DIS v57. The one copy I found cannot boot of the iso in VMware so I need a better link or an alternate method of install cause this is just not working..

I currently have NCSExpert, BWM Code Tool, INPA, Winfkp. Is there anyway to accomplish this reprogram using the tools I have now?

I would love to try DIS but each guide or install is old and I cannot find a good v57 files or guide. There has got to be an easier way to do this. I can't see myself letting the dealer take all my money for this. I have modded my cable and should be good to go, just need the software tool.
    Last edited by Jayson Wonder; 05-02-2016 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    I finally got DIS running. I do not see a error with the Head Unit in the short test. I do see a MPM error which makes sense as that is what I replaced. It says I need to encode/program the module. Can I do this with DIS. Here is the screen cap of the test results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jayson Wonder; 05-05-2016 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    DIS v44 has both coding and programming capability, but is unlikely to have the most up to date files for cars built after 2004. If you look at the MPA.C01 with NCS Dummy, the Micro Power Module has very few codable parameters, so I think that this is likely to just be a checksum error. There is a retrofit function in DIS that allows you to read coding data from your old module, then write it to the new one - basically you just follow a series of on-screen prompts but it involves connecting the old module to the car, letting DIS read it, then installing the new module and allowing DIS to write to it.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Thanks for the reply David MC. Here is the problem. The module was melted and the previous owner threw it out prior to selling the car.

Interesting point about the DIS v44 and the date of files. So are we talking about the latest SP_DATEN files? I have a 2005 545i with a build date of 2004-10-28
    I think the car changed slightly in 09/2005 so maybe it might have the files. How could I find this out for sure?

I must say the fact I got the DIS running after a bit of work & stress felt really good and thanks for you, randomy, yteam2003 for great links and guides!

I am, sadly, back at square one. I have no software to rewrite this module. There has got to be an easy way to encode/program the MPM. I am just thinking what would the dealer actually use to do this if I took it to them tomorrow. Other than obviously take my money? Thanks what I am wondering. Surely one of the apps I have I can do this. I am also assuming that all modules are similar in the way they are programmed so off I go to read how people are programming modules these days. I think better technology now than back 2005.

Sherlock work contiunes,
    Last edited by Jayson Wonder; 05-05-2016 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Just fire up NCS and load expertmode and write the default coding back to the module.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    I've not used it so I'll have to get it setup and configured. Don't wanna fry anything. Hopefully there are some decent guides on the forums. I'll report back once I figure that out and hopefully successfully flash.

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Just fire up NCS and load expertmode and write the default coding back to the module.
    How / where do I get this default code if the old module is gone? any ideas, perhaps a default file from daten? would this makes sense?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    NCS will know the default coding - it will select the appropriate details from your VIN and code the module to the factory settings.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    I have programmed the MPM. I still have the Head Unit Not Programmed Correctly error. So not sure where to go to program this.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    uploadfromtaptalk1462978149059.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462978166762.jpg
    Looking for opinions on what could cause this continued Head Unit error.

I have made some progress but still have not managed to get the issue resolved and I really need some music in my car .

I have coded my MPM and MASK modules using NCS and I think it went fine. Previous in DIS I was showing a MPM not encoded error which is now gone. The MASK coding was a shot in the dark as I was not sure what module controlled the Head Unit programming.

I see now in DIS that I have no amp, Cd, telephone and a MOST bus issue. The components of the most system seem to be working but I have to dig deeper to confirm. I feel that this error with the MOST ring break is a result of the head unit not working correctly and there for causing the fault on the system.

If anyone can shine some light on the situation it would be very cool cause I'm struggling. Dealer charges $145 per hour and I rather the satisfaction or fixing myself if possible.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by Jayson Wonder; 05-11-2016 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Jayson,

MPM is Micro Power Module not the Radio/Head unit. Courtesy of the BMW Coding forum, here is a list of Modules fitted to the E60:-

E60 also applies to E61 - E63 - E64
    2LSMC : AHL Module Left
    2RSMC : AHL Module Right
    4BMOT : Engine Electronics Benzin 4 Cyl.
    6BMOT : Engine Electronics Benzin 6 Cyl.
    6DMOT : Engine Electronics Diesel 6 Cyl.
    8BMOT : Engine Electronics Benzin 8 Cyl.
    ABG : Airbag Module
    ACC : Active Cruise Control
    AFS : Active Front Steering
    AHM ALC : Active Steering Computer
    AMPT : Top HiFi Amplifier (DSP L7)
    ARS : Dynamic Drive System
    BALBV
    BFS
    CANS
    CAPPL : Car Communication Computer (CCC)
    CAS (FA) : Car Acces System
    CAUDI : Audio System Controller (ASK)
    CGATE : Communication Gateway
    CHAMP
    CHOST : Communication Host
    CTUNE : Aerial Tuner
    CVM : Convertible Top Module
    DAB : Digital Tuner
    DSC : Dynamic Stability Control
    DWAI : Anti Theft Acces System
    DWAS : Anti Theft Tilt Alarm EDC : Electronic Damper Control
    EGS : Electronic Transmission Control
    EHB3
    EHC : Electronic Ride-height Control
    EKP : Electric Fuel Pump
    FALBV
    FAS : Driver Seat Module
    FDM
    FLA : High Beam Assist
    HKL : Rear Lid Lift
    HUD : Heads Up Display
    IHKA : Automatic Air Conditioning
    JTCA KBM : Body Module
    KGM : Body Gateway Module
    KOMBI : Instrument Cluster
    LCPA
    LDM
    LMA (FA) : Light Module
    LSMC : AHL Module Left
    MASK : Multi Audio System Controller (M-ASK)
    MPM : Micro Power Module
    MMC : Multi Media Computer
    MSHD : Sliding / Tilting Sunroof
    MULF
    NIVI : Night Vision
    PDC : Park Distance Control
    PGS
    RLS : Rain & Light Sensor
    RSMC : AHL Module Right
    SBSL : Satellite B-Pillar (Left)
    SBSR : Satellite B-Pillar (Right)
    SFZ : Satellite Vehicle (Center)
    SGM : Safety and Gateway Module
    SHD : Sliding / Tilting Sunroof
    SHZH : Independent / Auxiliary Heater
    SZL : Switch Center (Steering Column)
    SZM : Switching Center (Center Console)
    TBFT
    TCU : Telematics Computer Unit
    TCUM
    TGFT
    TLC : Lane Departure Warning Computer
    TMBT : Door Modul Passenger
    TMFT : Door Modul Driver
    VGSG

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Thanks. I was looking for this type of list. I reprogrammed the MPM as this was the part I replaced as a result of the leak and this is when the whole Head Unit Error began. I also programmed it as DIS was complaining about the encode / program error. It does not show such error now that I encoded. I have no issue now with the MPM.

What seems strange is that the date on the modules I have programmed (MPM, CAS, MASK) do not show a new date in INPA so perhaps it is not getting coded? What is even scarier is that most of those modules related to the Multimedia System / Head Unit and some others:
    CANS
    CAPPL : Car Communication Computer (CCC)
    CAS (FA) : Car Acces System
    CAUDI : Audio System Controller (ASK)
    CGATE : Communication Gateway
    CHAMP
    CHOST : Communication Host
    CTUNE : Aerial Tuner
    etc...

Do not show up in NCS to select as an ECU I can code and they do not show up in INPA under my list (UIF) of 35 modules.

This after noon I checked the Amp, telephone /bluetooth boxes in trunk and CD changer in glove box and all have power and fiber connection.

I must be overlooking something. This is frustrating.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    I think I am missing some modules related to the audio system because I do not have navigation. CD only and it is controlled by MASK module. Possibly others but I am not certain. Many of these modules such as MOSTGW, MMI/CCC etc. which could be related to my head unit issues are not accessible from NCS but yet I can see them in INPA. Also the MASK module only shows up in NCS but not in INPA. What could be causing these inconsistencies, I do not think it is normal?
    UIF.pdf
    Last edited by Jayson Wonder; 05-12-2016 at 05:38 AM.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    I coded my MASK module to default and modified the "CODIER_CHECK" and "LOGISTIK_CHECK" to off using NCS Expert. This got rid of the error on the head unit (Not a real solution, just hiding the error I assume) as I still have no sound in car, sos error and airbag errors.

DIS shows MOST bus interrupted. I did just update the MMI/CCI module using WinKFP and still need to program the MOSTGW module and I might be good. I have a 207 error = Program order could not be determined in WinKFP when trying to update that.

I am still trying to resolve issues and regain sound and remain open for suggestions.

My Cars
    BMW 525I 2006
    Hi I got a bmw 525I 2006 I have a problem which says "Head Unity Not program correctly" I do have radio audio, I also have the tire sensors on the question is
    How to I remove that error on the screen and take off the tire sensor, also it keep telling mi that my trunk si open... Help please
    let me know how to fix this and program it thanks

My Cars
    golf
    Hello, if you still got that issue it can be fixed by coding the MASK using NcsExpert and set the "CODIER_CHECK" and "LOGISTIK_CHECK" to "nicht_aktiv".

good luck!