Thread: NO start issue after engine swap

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3

NO start issue after engine swap

So pulled the m52 out of my 328is and installed a S52 so basically a plug and play.

All labeled prior to removal and installed everything fairly easy. two days later hop in push clutch in turn key fuel pump kicks in but no other noises besides silly door chimes.

Relays clicked over and since it was running prior to engine swap. Using M52 dme and existing orginal key for test fire adding ews delete chip to m3 ecu once it turns over. Waiting for it in mail.

Checked all fues except fuse 47 and 48 drivers foot well. Checked battery it was slightly low but put my boost box on it to give it some kick.

still nothing maybe the 1/2 hour with key on issue? or is that just an e30ism?

Hoping it's not the starter after putting it all back together as I hate pulling the manifold on these dreaded things.

Nobody? Guess everyone pays others to work on their cars?
    Last edited by M-technik-3; 07-01-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    check the voltage to the starter, if you get nothing, try to hot wire the starter to ensure it's not toast or installed incorrectly.

you're using the 328 DME on the S52, right? this should work without a problem (just a tiny bit lean but no biggie) and should start it right up.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    Exactly my thoughts but plan to swap ews delete chip in so I can use a S52 dme.

What about lack of windows and sunroof? That was rather odd. They were working before and after now nothing.

Odd coincidence?

Thinking starter as it has power and I have rapped the solenoid to no avail so looks like that sob has to come out. OH joy.
    Last edited by M-technik-3; 07-01-2010 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    not sure about the interior electrics but I would look into the main fuse block under the hood. also check the engine ground strap to be sure it's on securely.

the 328 dme will run the motor but it isn't something you want to use for more then a short while nor beat on the car when using it.

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    I realize there is a differance I just need it mobile to get a bay free in my garage.

Ground straps are tight and good. Swapped the starter still nothing.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    I realize there is a differance I just need it mobile to get a bay free in my garage.

Ground straps are tight and good. Swapped the starter still nothing.
    crank position sensor?

My Cars
    1997 M3;95 325is(M p
    your problem might be the ecu, wait for the other one to come, and go from there, If i understood correctly, you swapped s52 in place of m52, in the same 328is, or did it go to e30 chassis?

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    Engine swap on a 97 328is just a plug and play with the engine. M52 came out and in went the S52. The bad is I am traveling for the next 14 days or so, means I can't work on it.

It will have to wait till mid month.

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    Running today, after doing a starter swap and charged the battery over some time while I was gone on a trickle charger. It was the basic Low voltage/amperage of the battery. Fired right up nice and strong. DUH

Drat's turns out the engine I just installed also has a BAD HG so guess what? It's got to come back out, oh how happy happy joy joy.
    Last edited by M-technik-3; 07-16-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost