Thread: Part number for convertible plastic fold-back thingy

My Cars
    2001 330ci

Part number for convertible plastic fold-back thingy

So, I sat on the wrong part of the car when jumping into my dad's 2001 325ci convertible the other day, and broke the part you see in the photos. 45 minutes researching on oemparts and I still can't find the piece I need to replace. I broke the spring shown in the first pic (or rather, the plastic piece within that spring) on the driver's side and I figure I should replace the large plastic cover that it attaches to while I'm at it. Anyone know where to look?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330 Convertible
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat too: need the cover part... I just don't know the part number. Can you replace this part easily, like with the hood half open or do you have to start removing bits of car to change it?

My Cars
    2001 330ci
    When I sat on it, the cover part actually popped off and dropped down into the interior. I fished it out and the four little tabs on it were intact, so with a little maneuvering I managed to clip it back in- it's just not spring-loaded now. Didn't have to take anything apart. I had the top partially up to get me more clearance.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    The part is considered an interior piece, not a convertible top piece, which is why it is hard to find on realoem. Here's a link to the page:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=51&fg=50

Item #21. When I did this to mine, I actually just stripped the internal tooth lock washer off that holds the spring in place. If you are lucky, you can find the washer for $0.39 at your local hardward store. Otherwise, there is a "repair kit" for this that is about $10 from the dealer. On Item #21, see the bent rod? See the end where the spring goes? Disconnect the OTHER end of this rod from the vehicle, make the repair, then reattach this same end last - this makes everything a lot easier.

My Cars
    BMW
    We have both left and right #21 available below...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.
    Last edited by ECSTuning; 12-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330 Convertible
    I have no idea what this part ^ is... I have the flap (with broken tabs unfortunately) and the rod with the spring around it that's attached... I was hoping I could just replace these pieces, but seeing this above makes me wonder if something else might be broken...

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    Not enough info there to help, sorry Jim. Please provide a more detailed explanation of the problem.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330 Convertible
    Hi

The previous owner of my car broke off the flap (the part gellpak is pushing back with his thumb). I have the flap, with the spring and rod (shown in same picture) still attached (parts 13,14 on the realoem link above). However, some of the little tabs that keep the flap in its runners seem to be broken.

I was hoping that I could buy a new flap, reattach the spring/rod to the bit of roof (that seems to be accessible when I look at the other side).

However I don't know what part ECSTuningJoe is showing in his post. Is that something else that operates this flap beind the scenes? If so, it'll probably mean a trip to the dealer, as I don't fancy taking out the seats and interior to get to the insides of the car...

Thanks for any insights.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    Yup, sounds like you need a new flap, they are not too expensive if memory services. You might also damage the internal tooth lock washer when you detach the rod assembly from your old flap, so have a new washer handy.

Yes, you do have to remove the back seat and rear trim along the side where the problem is. The seat is easy (it folds up, it is not a solid piece), the trim is a bit of a PITA, but not too bad. The other trick is to move the roof to the position where you have best access to the area.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330 Convertible
    Thanks, chet.

Don't like the sound of pulling out the back seat, though

What is the part in ECSTuningJoe's picture? Does that also feature in my repair or is it something else?

Cheers

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    From this link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=51&fg=50

You need part 10, which they simply simply call a "cover." It is side specific (i.e. the driver's side cover is different than the passenger side cover), so you need the correct one for your side.

Then going to ECSTuningJoe's picture, you probably just need the internal tooth lock washer that is pictured. If you have a good hardware store in your area, you might be able to find it there. I don't know if a dealer will sell them individually. Joe's picture is a "repair kit" that includes all the pieces shown, including the washer. You don't need the rod and spring, but you might have to buy the whole kit to get the washer.

The seat is easy to remove - two bolts. There are DIYs somewhere. It's easier than the trim. However, I know my dealer doesn't charge that much, maybe 1/2 hour labor plus parts, so if you don't want to deal w/ it, I don't think it would be that costly to have your dealer do it (but check first, my dealer seems to be more reasonable than some).

My Cars
    330Ci conv. (x2)
    Just to clear up some confusion if anyone else gets a search hit on this, ECSTuningJoe showed parts from after the 09/2003 facelift redesign.

The OP clearly says the car is a 2001 325Ci which uses spring #13 and rod #14 on the REALOem diagram. How they assemble is a more interesting question.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    I have fixed many of these. You don't have to take anything apart. You just have to be really patient and put it all together. Look at the side that works to see how it goes.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325iC
    Hey bmwbob89,
    Can you explain how you do it without taking anything apart? Even with the top partially open, I can't seem to get any leverage to get the washer off. Does the cover snap off? I think if I could get that off, I could do it easy, but I'm afraid I'll break it.

I'm a little hesitant to attempt to take the trim off, since I don't have a repair manual. Is there a DIY video of that somewhere?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Bob? Hello? Bob? :

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 E46 MW 330Ci M54

Part Number

You can find all part numbers at http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog

Hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by gellpak View Post
    So, I sat on the wrong part of the car when jumping into my dad's 2001 325ci convertible the other day, and broke the part you see in the photos. 45 minutes researching on oemparts and I still can't find the piece I need to replace. I broke the spring shown in the first pic (or rather, the plastic piece within that spring) on the driver's side and I figure I should replace the large plastic cover that it attaches to while I'm at it. Anyone know where to look?

My Cars
    BMW 325ci convertible
    BEFORE YOU BUY NEW COVERS-- you might be able to fix yours as I did.

The problem is that over time, the aging plastic becomes too weak to anchor the spring (notice the cracked plastic within the zip-tie loop in the first image). The plastic tabs on both my covers broke. Before buying two new ones (@ $34.95 each @ partsgeek), I created a new anchor using a tie wrap. The first photo shows the tie wrap before it's fully tightened.

Using a file, I notched a resting place for the back end of the loop (opposite the spring) and threaded the washer into place before tightening (second photo). Obviously, you have to remove the covers to do this. Remove the cover by gently spreading the tracks with the cover near the "closed" position and clearing the rear-most pins. Then you can slide the cover inward to clear the front-most pins. Once your repair us done, assemble the spring and its new anchor and re-install the covers by reversing the removal process above. Be patient--don't break the pins!

BMW cover repair.jpg

BMW cover repair_2.jpg
    Last edited by EddieCorreia; 03-14-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: re-upload images

My Cars
    BMW 325ci convertible
    PartsGeek has these, but if the cover (and all its plastic pins) isn't broken, there's no need to spend $34.95!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci convertib
    Thanks Eddie! I needed this!

My Cars
    E46 Convertible
    Hi all, first post on here

Can anyone tell me if the repair kit will fit all model years of E46 or just 09/2003 onwards? also anyone got any pics of how the repair kit fits to the roof mechanism and the cover flap?

Thanks

Mike

My Cars
    BMW 325ci convertible
    Hi Mikeohope- The fix I described wasn't a kit, it was a repair of the existing covers using zip ties. I'd imagine that the covers from most model-years would be similar, but you'll have to look at yours to see if a repair is possible. Good Luck!

My Cars
    2001 325 cic
    Can you provide a little more detail on how to ‘spread the tracks’ to get the old part out? I really don’t want to break it. Thanks!

My Cars
    BMW 325ci convertible
    Hi egruber- The main thing is to be patient. When the cover is toward the back of the car, gently spread the slots with a screwdriver to allow the cover's rear pins to escape from the track. Then slide the cover toward the front of the car and gently free the forward pins. Reverse the process when putting the cover back on; start with the front pins and then work the back ones in, spreading the track the same way. Hope that helps. Good luck.

My Cars
    2001 325 cic
    I did it! I made a slight modification to your solution. Instead of using a zip tie in notches, I drilled a small hole on either side of the tab and then threaded a loop of wire and secured it. I then used a zip tie to make a little loop for the spring to grab. I was a little nervous bending the plastic to remove it but I cleared the pins without damage. By the way, this piece of plastic which used to be cheap, is now $130! Definitely worth saving!

Thanks for posting this! BMW owners are the best!
    Last edited by egruber; 11-03-2020 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E93

Labor Charge to Replace Kit & please identify kit part number for 2009

Hi - I'm confused after reading this post. I broke/cracked the same plastic cover or flap, spring and everything else inside on the driver's side of the convertible interior. Which is the correct part number for the kit to replace is in a 2009 BMW 328i e93 convertible? How much should someone be charging me to install it or repair it using the kit? Thanks!