Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 stuttering in 3rd, 4th, 5th gear

My Cars
    2001 325i

E46 stuttering in 3rd, 4th, 5th gear

Yesterday I noticed my steptronic was intermitently stuttering or hesitating when i gave it gas. It drives ok and no new lights have come on. Thought it might be heat related...Today from a cool start it did the same thing. I shifted into manual mode and tested with the asc on and off and no change. The weird thing is that i can't get it to hesitate in first or second gear... even with full throtle its just as smooth as can be until i shift to third+. I ended up just driving in 5th because it seems to be less noticable. The rpms jump/drop 200 or 300 on acceleration and deceleration. The only variable i can think of is that I filled up last with non ethanol gas. I thought it might be dirty fuel injectors or something related to gas flow/mixture, but I can only think it is something to do with the tranny since it doesnt happen in gear 1 or 2. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Been searching all morning for an answer online... maybe a faulty transmission solenoid
    BMW MOFO
    WTB: KOSEI K1's 17x8.5 http://caffeineandgasolineu.ipage.com/index.html

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Sounds transmission sensor related to me I would check fanatics out first and see what you dig up.

My Cars
    328is Carbon Black
    Coil boots? Had something similar happen with my e46 but mine was a standard transmission.

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Yo Pete! Bring it over later and let's pull some codes!

My Cars
    2001 325i
    So aparently swisses code reader is not for an OBD2 01 E46... autozones gave me a EVAP system leak, which i was previously aware of. I spent the night cleaning the shit out of the nastyness that was my oil and transmission pans in preperation of some new seals, fluid and probably a new soleniod valve...
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Quote Originally Posted by pete318is View Post
    So aparently swisses code reader is not for an OBD2 01 E46... autozones gave me a EVAP system leak, which i was previously aware of. I spent the night cleaning the shit out of the nastyness that was my oil and transmission pans in preperation of some new seals, fluid and probably a new soleniod valve...
    What kind of fuel cap are you using?

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dano670 View Post
    What kind of fuel cap are you using?
    Factory e46. You should switch with my mom and have your code cleared. She lost her old cap and bought a new one last month. That way you now if a new cap will solve that at least. Unless you wanna go buy a cap they are like $25 at the stealer.

My Cars
    My hesitation/stutter turned out to be O2 sensor, but I figured that out after it went into limp mode on the way home from OKC... any limp mode? Is it affecting your MPG's? That was another tell tail of mine...

My Cars
    2001 325i
    No limp mode or transmision light at all, just loss of power/ hesitation a bit in the higher gears. Drove it like a granny yesterday on back roads to work and back with no problem.....

I spoke with Benzin and Rennsport about the issue and they both have reservations on whether or not I should even change the tranny fluid if it has never been, I am just going to order the parts and make it my bitch this weekend (Garage Tech Session Saturday!) Swiss will be helping and anyone else how would like to is very welcome!

Today I get 1 mile from the house and hear a whining noise, thats never good, I figure its my transmission. Stoped the car and see oil severely dripping from the pan! Guess i sprayed enough cleaner around the gasket that i made it leak!! SONOFABITCH! So now I get to add a oil pan gasket to the list of things to do this weekend and that requires jacking up the motor. If anyone has a creeper or a torque wrench, I would love to borrow them this weekend. thanks
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    No limp mode or transmision light at all, just loss of power/ hesitation a bit in the higher gears. Drove it like a granny yesterday on back roads to work and back with no problem.....

I spoke with Benzin and Rennsport about the issue and they both have reservations on whether or not I should even change the tranny fluid if it has never been, I am just going to order the parts and make it my bitch this weekend (Garage Tech Session Saturday!) Swiss will be helping and anyone else how would like to is very welcome!

Today I get 1 mile from the house and hear a whining noise, thats never good, I figure its my transmission. Stoped the car and see oil severely dripping from the pan! Guess i sprayed enough cleaner around the gasket that i made it leak!! SONOFABITCH! So now I get to add a oil pan gasket to the list of things to do this weekend and that requires jacking up the motor. If anyone has a creeper or a torque wrench, I would love to borrow them this weekend. thanks
    My smallest torque wrench barely goes to the recommended torque settings of what the oil pan gasket requires.

So how much cleaner did you spray down there and are you sure it is coming from the oil pan? Replacing that gasket is not an easy job.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Yeah i used like 5 cans cause it was sooo nasty. I have had a leak from the main seal since i bought it, never had the $ to fix since it was minor, Havent had it on jacks since this mornings incident, but i noticed oil coming out pretty good from the very back and botton of the pan! Rick @ Rennsport also said to make sure it was coming from there since it is a bitch to replace. He said check the near the right rear valve cover for leaks first and make sure its not leaking from somewhere else.

I ordered the parts for the transmission fluid/filter/seal and a oil pan gasket and filter... now to start the disassembly in my garage! FUNFUN
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    '91 325ic
    Ugh, I feel for you Pete, that sucks.
    I have found the replacement for displacement.....

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Parts are in today! Will be starting the teardown tonight!!!
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    328is Carbon Black
    Get er done, cookout is coming up.

My Cars
    1988 Diamondschwartz m3 88 Zinnoberrot m3
    its broke it'll never run right again,ill give you 1000 tomorrow...haha
    Last edited by 1fastcosmo; 07-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcosmo View Post
    its broke it'll never run right again,ill give you 1000 tomorrow...haha

ROFL

hey guys, i have my tranny dropped, doing a clutch job and ran into probs argh, lol, but finally getting there! hard to do between shifts at work. bought a rear main seal, but am kinda afraid to change it because I would have to take the flywheel out, and if it's anything like the pressure plate, it's going to be a bitch and a half, and i dont want to accidentally ruin it in the process. bmw flywheel is $970 and I just dont have that to throw down the drain. do you think i should just keep the $20 seal that i got and change it out if it really ever becomes a problem? after doing all this work, exhaust and tranny are going to be -a lot- easier to take off in the future. not as much cutting and prying with new nuts/bolts etc

My Cars
    '91 325ic
    It won't be any less difficult to change the seal later, especially considering you'll have to remove all the same stuff you already have.

Then again, I'm lazy, I avoid duplicate labor if at all possible.

Pete, good luck getting it fixed.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Looks like the culprit of the oil leak might have been the oil filter housing gasket... fingers crossed! Also found a coolant line that was about to go and a crack in a PS line, so i will be tearing into about every system there is this weekend! Might as well do it all at once!!

FYI: Just found it interesting that both the power steering and auto trans both have cooling elements that feed off the radiator... ZE GERMANS
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    01 M5, 97 M3 track whore
    Looks like the culprit of the oil leak might have been the oil filter housing gasket... fingers crossed! Also found a coolant line that was about to go and a crack in a PS line, so i will be tearing into about every system there is this weekend! Might as well do it all at once!!

FYI: Just found it interesting that both the power steering and auto trans both have cooling elements that feed off the radiator... ZE GERMANS
    I was really impressed when I replaced the slushbox in the 540. The cooler is in the lower front of the tranny and has coolant lines from the radiator instead of flowing ATF through the radiator. (Much less of a mess for the tear down.)

Has anyone ever owned an older than new bimmer that didn't have a PS leak somewhere?

Good luck with the repairs!

My Cars
    '91 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrekless View Post
    Has anyone ever owned an older than new bimmer that didn't have a PS leak somewhere?
    That's why I didn't even care about putting PS back on the swap car!

My Cars
    Its an acceptable drip. Old cars will never be new again, its easier and cheaper to lower your expectations...

My Cars
    '96 318ti, '15 Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdezyne View Post
    Its an acceptable drip. Old cars will never be new again, its easier and cheaper to lower your expectations...
    THIS. if your PS is not leaking, then something is wrong with the car.
    BMWMOFO C6MPACT

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdezyne View Post
    My new old motor doesn't leak, just the occasional drips of water front A/C condensation.

Secret weapon:

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Transmission fluid swapped as well as new gasket and filter (old one was sitting in the pan with its 2 screws) ... still making a whining noise and feels low on power almost as if it were a slipping clutch maybe torque converter? Now I must get a professional opinion FTL
    BMW MOFO

My Cars
    01 M5, 97 M3 track whore
    That really sucks! Good luck with the repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast