Thread: 2002 325XI white smoke from oil cap and below manifold?

My Cars
    1990 E30 325iC

2002 325XI white smoke from oil cap and below manifold?

I noticed a 'hot' smell from our 325XI last week along with a slight oil leak. I also observed a small amount of white smoke that would come and go after shutdown; it appeared to be coming from somewhere below the exhaust manifold. The same smoke also came out of the oil fill hole when the cap was removed.

Took 'er down to my trusted non-BMW shop and they said the valve cover gasket and the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) were both leaking oil.

I did those two jobs but the smell and smoke are still there – I am starting to worry!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    mmmm.......the only other comon leak point is the oil filter housing gasket.

Are you sure no oil is leaking from VCG?

What did they base the diagnosis on? Did they visibly see oil leaking from VCG and/or CPS? Did they show you the leak? And when they said CPS are you sure they didn't mean camshaft position sensor....and if maybe.....could be either exhaust or intake.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    1990 E30 325iC
    I pulled the camshaft position sensor (sorry, I had crankshaft on the mind before) myself and it had oil on the connector side.

After I replaced the VGC I did not note any additional leakage.

I've used this shop for years for most everything; the diagnosis was based on visual inspection BUT they did not run the car to observe smoke I believe.

I have not checked the oil filter gasket – I will do so and report back.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325iC
    Oil Filter gasket seems ok.

I put the car on ramps and ran it for awhile; I noticed smoke flowing from out of the front passenger wheel well. I looked underneath and I believe the source of the smoke is the point where the exhaust manifold is mated to the exhaust pipe.

There is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe whatsoever.