Thread: Oil Viscosity and extreme heat!

My Cars
    Pontiac G6

Oil Viscosity and extreme heat!

Hi All,
    I know there are many posts regarding oil brands. I do have a specific question though regarding oil viscosity. I live in Phoenix Az, a very hot place. I see a lot of people talking about 0w-30 and 0w-40, but do these weights hold up when the outside temp. is 105-115? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Check your manual. The diagram with viscosity against temperature is there.

Also, check where I live. I use 10w-40 (same as 0w-40, but with less tolerance to freezing starts) and have had no problems whatsoever. You can plan your oil changes to match the seasons and use two viscosities (winter/summer) in case the temperature changes are too extreme. In your case (since you live in AZ) 40 is fine.

The motor gets pretty hot by itself. If the cooling system is in good working order, it doesn't really matter if the outside temperature is 0 or 120, the car should be capable of regulating the temperature and handling the excess heat, IF you are using the correct oil that is. That's why there is a diagram in the manual.

Wow, reached 2k posts... time flies.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 06-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Quote Originally Posted by bcady View Post
    Hi All,
    I know there are many posts regarding oil brands. I do have a specific question though regarding oil viscosity. I live in Phoenix Az, a very hot place. I see a lot of people talking about 0w-30 and 0w-40, but do these weights hold up when the outside temp. is 105-115? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

Your engine oil operates in an enviroment that runs from 250 to 400 degrees so really the outside temperature ONLY matters when you are talking about starting the engine from a cold start when the viscoscity of the oil is at its highest and in the circumstance, the lower the first number the better as this means the best lubrication on cold start. as long as the higher number is at or above the recommended range you are fine. thus a 0W40 will serve in all temperature conditions that might be expereinced on the Planet earth(where you would actually be able to drive your car that is)

short answer to your question is YES they will hold up just fine.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    Pontiac G6
    Got it. Makes sense. Sounds like 0W40 will work, im just old school. So.....40 W oil isn't too thick. I would check diagram in owners man. but don't have one.

My Cars
    '01 530iA, '05 750Li
    ok, after reading the above, I would like to point out that I'm using Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 (shit flame suit on)......

My car is a 3.0L and it endurs hard driving...excessive stop and go, idling, high revs, and the frequent high burst of speed...0-180km/h back to 0km in 4-6km...

Reason being I'm using this oil wieght is because driving in ambient temps (yesterday is was hot and wet) at about 35C....and in the past I can hear a lot of valves ticking when idling, but after using this oil valve oises are gone and only downside is a loss of fuel economy but a bit....

I change my oil and filter every 5000km or even less so BMW LL approved oil are not my concern....

I'll be switching back to 5W40 Castrol Edge when the summer months are gone.

May I kindly ask for others opinion in my choice of oil viscosity?

This is the link to the product http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7013360
    Last edited by Jim530i; 06-22-2010 at 10:34 PM.

My Cars
    98 528i,06A6,11Ford Flex
    More info about oil than you ever wanted to know here:
    www.bobistheoilguy.com

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    I live in Tucson (100 miles south of you). I have been using Castrol Syntec 0w30 in my 540 for about five years now. Assuming you have a properly functioning cooling system, after a few minutes the engine comes up to the operating temp, and it doesn't matter if its in Nome AK or Death Valley, the temp in the engine is the same.
    Last edited by chiefwej; 06-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Also, check where I live. I use 10w-40 (same as 0w-40, but with less tolerance to freezing starts) and have had no problems whatsoever. You can plan your oil changes to match the seasons and use two viscosities (winter/summer) in case the temperature changes are too extreme. In your case (since you live in AZ) 40 is fine.
    Wow, reached 2k posts... time flies.
    +100. The only time ""thicker"" oil should be used is in a track environment where the care sees continuous high revs.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    +100. The only time ""thicker"" oil should be used is in a track environment where the care sees continuous high revs.
    LOL!
    I continuously high rev my car every time I drive it...
    LOL!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim530i View Post
    ok, after reading the above, I would like to point out that I'm using Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 (shit flame suit on)......

My car is a 3.0L and it endurs hard driving...excessive stop and go, idling, high revs, and the frequent high burst of speed...0-180km/h back to 0km in 4-6km...

Reason being I'm using this oil wieght is because driving in ambient temps (yesterday is was hot and wet) at about 35C....and in the past I can hear a lot of valves ticking when idling, but after using this oil valve oises are gone and only downside is a loss of fuel economy but a bit....

I change my oil and filter every 5000km or even less so BMW LL approved oil are not my concern....

I'll be switching back to 5W40 Castrol Edge when the summer months are gone.

May I kindly ask for others opinion in my choice of oil viscosity?

This is the link to the product http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7013360

That high viscosity oil will not circulate in the lubrication system as it was designed to. I would worry about oil starvation to critical parts. BMW rated LL-01 oils like 0w30 Castrol, and 0w40 M1 are approved for all climates and all seasons. I doubt that you are dealing with temps much higher than where I live, here in the middle of the Sonoran Desert and I've been using 0w30 for five years.
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    2003 525i Sport
    Hi Chief. I'm up here in Mesa and after some research I've settled on 5W30. Whenever I go out to my car, its still warm, so I don't believe I need 0W oil to aid in lubrication during and after starting. Thoughts?

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by dcotti View Post
    Hi Chief. I'm up here in Mesa and after some research I've settled on 5W30. Whenever I go out to my car, its still warm, so I don't believe I need 0W oil to aid in lubrication during and after starting. Thoughts?
    True, but I only consider oils that carry BMW's LL-01 rating. The most common ones are M1 0w40 and Castrol 0w30. I use the German made Castrol Syntec 0w30. It is approved for all climates and all seasons.

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Warm to v warm climate here during summer in SE Qld.
    Castrol 0W - 40. Nil prob bob.

OP, I'll give you a heads up, their's a copy of our Manual back on the home page somewhere. That's where I got the following pics. C'mon man, stop being lazy.

Anyways, here's info on oil for you.

My Cars
    BMW 650i
    Chiefwej.... I have a 650i and looking to change the oil, I was reading the posts on this page and I saw that you've been using the 0w30.
    My manual asking calls for LL01...and I was thinking about the BMW Twinpower Turbo 5w30...do you have any thoughts on that?
    Or any one here? It's an LL01 but that twin power turbo name on the bottle kinda scares me.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green