Thread: Z3 n00b needs some help

My Cars
    '18 Audi S4

Z3 n00b needs some help

Hey guyes its been a while since I've posted on BFC, hope the comunity is doing well.

My current DD is getting old and it needs to be replaced and it just so happens that a person is selling a 1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8i not to far from me and its freaking sweet. I absolutely adore the car. I know a good deal about E36 M3s and literally know next to nothing bout Z3s other than E36 owners use the shock tower reinforcements, and that z3 are known for rear sub-frame failure. What else can you guys tell me about them? I'm going to get a PPI anyway but before I do I like to go over everything myself. Are there any specific thing I should look for other than the regular parts I would inspec on a E36?

Would you recommend a Z3 coupe as a DD?

-Thanks
    Josh

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Z3 makes a great DD, depending upon your needs.

There is tons of info on here about this, and many recent threads. See what you can find and post back here with any questions.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    I've been using my 2000 M coupe as a DD for the last 4 years.

Here's a link to get you started - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1295727

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Except for luggage space issues, a coupe is as good a DD as any other E36. A good example can be run to and beyond 300K miles. A bad/abused one can be a money pit at 60K miles.

/.randy

My Cars
    '18 Audi S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post

There is tons of info on here about this, and many recent threads. See what you can find and post back here with any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcintyre View Post
    I've been using my 2000 M coupe as a DD for the last 4 years.

Here's a link to get you started - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1295727
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Except for luggage space issues, a coupe is as good a DD as any other E36. A good example can be run to and beyond 300K miles. A bad/abused one can be a money pit at 60K miles.
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm a college student, so as far as what I will use it for driving to and from school, and to and from my job, I don't travel that much so trunk space isn't something I need. I want something fun and unique and in CT there are a tonn of E36s and not too many Z3 Coupes. Based upon what I've been reading for the past few weeks while doing research I think its a perfect fit. The 2.8i has enough power for me, gets good(by my standards) gas mileage( i have an SUV and a Mustang right now) and I think it looks brilliant.

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post

/\ agreed!!

mine is my daily driver and has just flew through it's annual inspection here not needing any work!

The 2.8 is a great engine - 90% of the performance for 100% of the smiles!

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    BTW, it's not called a 2.8i, just simply a "2.8" ... the "i" didn't come until '01 (2.5i roadster, 3.0i coupe/roadster).
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)