Thread: Bubble in Tonneau cover

My Cars
    1998 328ic

Bubble in Tonneau cover

I have a fist sized bubble in the tonneau cover near the middle. Anyone ever removed one of these? I used to do small stuff like this with syringes and needles and glue.
    David in Central Texas
    My 36............................................My 35...........................................My 54

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '04 325i
    I was close to doing it but I found a guy that does repairs. Someone had tried to lower my top after disconnecting the motors and without a resync, and it dug two holes in the vinyl near the leading edge. I got an estimate for $150 from an auto upholstry shop I'd used before to replace it and I was going to order the new one from Pelican Parts. (The vinyl itself is about $450). The shop recommended a guy here locally that does leather repair and restoration and he patched it for $145. I'll post some pictures of the after. He wasn't franchised but he indicated there are some franchised palces that do the same type of work that I needed and you now need. Might be worth a search in your area????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DC_WRIGHT

My Cars
    98 323i vert
    I too have some bubbles in the tonneau vinyl... but they seem to come and go. I was guessing that it was just my car and perhaps they blister up in this heat.

If they stayed the glue syringe was my thought too but I first thought I may list 'lance' them or vent them to let the air/gas out that is making swell. I was going to use an ice pick.

Any thoughts on a glue if it comes to that?

My Cars
    hoveround
    I too have a couple small bubbles popping up when it's warm (must be the weather heating up). It's not too bad yet, but I'm actually considering picking up a used cover to experiment with and painting it to match the body. It's probably been done but I haven't seen one yet and think it would look pretty slick.
    But I think a simple fix for the the bubbling that actually works and holds will be harder than it seems.
    Good luck, I'm keeping my eye open too

My Cars
    98 323i vert
    I tried a not too sharp ice pick out of my tool box on a larger bubble and it vents just fine as you work out the air towards the 'hole'. The ice pick hole left a small, round indentation/mark so on another bubble I used a small breakpoint knife tip. Smaller hole or cut left less of a mark but also a smaller vent and harder to work out.

In short, it seems you can pop the blisters and the glue underneath is still plenty good. Keep the vent hole small and I believe the vinyl will 'heal' in the sun and blend right back in.

My Cars
    hoveround
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench View Post
    I tried a not too sharp ice pick out of my tool box on a larger bubble and it vents just fine as you work out the air towards the 'hole'. The ice pick hole left a small, round indentation/mark so on another bubble I used a small breakpoint knife tip. Smaller hole or cut left less of a mark but also a smaller vent and harder to work out.

In short, it seems you can pop the blisters and the glue underneath is still plenty good. Keep the vent hole small and I believe the vinyl will 'heal' in the sun and blend right back in.
    Glad to hear that worked for you. Maybe you can update us in bit and let us know how it holds up, and whether or not they reappear.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Bumping an old thread. I have two of these bubbles that recently appeared. Anyone use the syringe and glue technique successfully? Any other good options?