Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch!! 97 318i drifty buildup

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111

Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch!! 97 318i drifty buildup

I have had this car since November 2009.. . I had my 93 Lexus GS300 for 7 years and literally got the 7 year itch to try something new.
    Things havent gone like I planned for selling the Lexus to fund the tranny money to get the 2jz in this car..
    so I made due with what i've got to work with and learned to beat on the m44 mill.
    I'm pretty impressed with the beating this thing has taken.. check the mileage.. night I picked it up.

here is what i started out with..

a little left frontal drama and bald ass tires helped me score this car for just smidge over $1g.
    Anyways.. gutted it immediately to get what I could for what it had...

interior was mint.. allllllmost hated to do it. also yanked about 20lbs of wires out.. stereo, abs.. you name it.
    ONce it was gutted and all the sound deadening gone.. i built this cool set of monkey bars inside. Also tossed in this Sparco Circuit I scored cheap WITH Sparco brackets.

from my Lexus experience I knew that the drum ebrake on the BMW wouldnt hold up to drift initiation and other abuse..
    so I gutted the drums and shoes. I also built this cool hydro handbrake.. took a few tries to get it the way I like
    but this old busted torque wrench found a new calling. Clamps like a vise on the rear rotors now.
    building the box.. this was the key to zero-flex

now where should it go?

that'll do

Speaking of rear rotors.. little out of order here since i just did this yesterday.. buuut it. This is my thread.
    cross-threaded one of the rear lug bolts last wednesday at the track. I hate the lug bolts.
    so the Lexus lives on.. H&R extended studs from the GS. Drilled out the threads in the hubs, drew the studs in and tacked them in place.

Yay!!

wash/rinse/repeat...

While i was working back there.. i discovered something i dont like about the BC's.. So i fixed it. The body of the shock is threaded at the bottom for the eye. But the thread bottoms out with over an inch to spare. So.. I pulled it out

and gave her a trim..

and now i can be sooper moar low. or at least not raked, and use the spring collars again for height adjustment if i want to go up,
    or preload the spring at all.

I'll take the Crown. This guy Skully here solved my stock shitty shiftknob problem for just $20.00

Latest project.. more cooling. Since I'm a broke bastard.. this is a Honda rad I had laying around..I think it is a Prelude or Accord rad.
    Either way, it is over 200 sq inch more core surface area than the plastic BMW radiator with the stupid reservoir attached and PITA little pinhole
    to fill it. I was just waiting for it to explode at the last MBDrift event, even though with the new WP the temps never got over 220*F.
    stock.. shitty rad. nice fan and shroud though... rad and fan/shroud now available for sale. LOL

if it can cool 2.2-2.3L it should be nice and cool in a 1.9L

a few things i have to make for it to work.. either a swirl pot for the rad hose that goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the block, or a
    fitting off the reservoir for the coolant to the block. Will be some trial and error for sure.. that's what Wednesday drift practice is for....
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 09-25-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    Here is the latest view of the car. 80s Chevy Maro wheels rock. I now have 2 full sets. I have $80.00 total in both sets. They are about +19
    offset.. roughly. No you cant be this cool.

read it.. understand it.. the 2jz cometh.

so here's a breakdown...
    1997 BMW 318i.. of course its a four door...you know me by now.
    1.9l M44 motor.. 4 cyl lack of power
    SaRD Racing cone filter
    gutted OBD2/Emmissions hardware
    stock exhaust all the way
    gutted heater core
    GeT Spek firewall block off plate.. fills the bigass hole from the heater core absence
    BC Racing BR TYpe coilovers 10/12 (i think)
    Welded 3.45 stock diff. cheap, but not my first choice. I know the power of a real 1.5/2 way LSD.
    stainless brake lines
    GeT Spek hydro handbrake, gutted stock drums/shoes
    6+ point cage
    Sparco circuit seat (LOVE this seat.. but not FIA spec) :gonk:
    Borrowed Leaf 5 pts..(Thanks Alan!) will have some Crows soon.
    Saga coolant temp guage
    multiple sets of 85 Camaro z28 wheels
    studded rear hubs, h&R +25mm
    velocity splitters from an M3
    soon to be Honda 2.2l radiator
    battery cutoff switch
    Homage to my Grandfather's Devils Brigade 1st SSF ww2 unit on the front window..
    autographed airbag cover.. crown royal shift bag, skully.. okay i'm reachin now.

i also broke both motor mounts wednesday night at the track.. sooper cool urethane control arm bushings will magically become BMW motor mounts. tomorrow. Pics will follow.

okay..it's tomorrow. update time.
    now that i have the studs on, i can space any rim out (cheaply.. i have a stack of 5 to 7mm spacers) so i'm looking forward to getting some non-bulbous tires on the back. picking up 4 slightly used azenis 205/50/15s on friday for $50.00 that will suit me for the front for a while.

oh yea, update. worked on the rad today, got the mount feet welded in, fixed up a dual fan setup and sat it back in the car. the fans kick mucho ass, but draw a ton of amperage i'm sure. not like it matters to me. LOL

i'll get the top brackets done tomorrow and then work on the plumbing. i have a few ideas.. all of them cheap so far.

also yanked out the broken stock liquid filled mounts. man.. it was so easy putting the bushings in as mounts i almost have to check myself.. i shortened the sleeve in the bushings by about 1/4" to allow for compression when i bolt it all together. just used random hardware today to see if it would actually work. now that i know its a go, i'll go pick up some grade 8 bolts and nuts to finish it right.
    pics..
    rad feet..

Fans. these were given to me some time ago. spent a while on the Lexus then got shelved.. supposedly came from a Vette?

Battery cutoff..

Miata hood release lever FTW (thanks Grant)

busted mounts..

new "mounts"

installed.. piece of cake.. easiest ever.

thats all for today.. its pretty good considering God tried hard to melt me today..
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 06-14-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    some recent footy.. all at MB Speedway, Myrtle Beach, SC.
    MBDrift.com

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9ThavVjtY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wilH0Aovark&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

this vid is the first time i ever had the car out.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5SO77pCmQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

all the work i'm doing in the engine bay is just biding my time. i miss my baby.

shot when it was still in the GS

enjoy guys.. i'll keep this fresh.. c&c welcomed and returned..

My Cars
    84 318i
    nice!
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Yeah for you guys who are worried about not having enough power to slide their 325's ans 328's watch those videos.

Jeff's workin with about 110whp and hes still getting it done.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    i'm going to dyno it as is and then build an exhaust for it. my exhausts always tend to make a good bit of torque on my past cars.. so we'll see.

if i could find a good (cheap) lsd and lower FD it would work wonders for this short track drifting.. 3.15, 3.21.. anyone?? I have the stock 3.45 welded now.

3rd gear doesnt exist for me except to get more entry speed. Then it is yank ebrake to initiate, drop to 2nd and hold it on the rev limiter all the way around.. LOL

My Cars
    84 318i
    maybe a 3.73 or 3.91 might help?
    dude you make it look so easy and your running an m44!
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    you may be right on the diff choice.. i never could get my head around ratios. i can build things all day, but math pwns me. thanks too

car is running again, with the near solid mounts it feels like a beast.. rumbles the car. i cant wait to drive it again it feels so direct, there is no movement at all when i rev the engine.

obviously the new rad is done.. snapped a few pics that i havent uploaded yet, will add them later. it is all temporary until i go out and test the car wednesday night at the track. once i determine that the setup works, i will finalize the plumbing with new hoses and a proper overflow tank. (you'll see wire nuts on the fan wires and a water bottle for the overflow in the pics.. that is not how i roll...) not for more than a few minutes on jackstands anyway... but no use to make it pretty before it is know to work.

i also scored 8 tires today runinng around town to the tire stores.. 4 hankook optimo ( i like these tires.. last and smoke well..) 195/60/15
    2 uniroyal tigerpaw.. LOL.. 195/60/15, and 2 195/65/15 epic tour somethingerothers.. i liked the name and the size was right. price was definitely right on all 8. $0.00 it was a lucky find on these, now that the car is back on the ground, the 205/65s goodyears on the car right now are almost stuck in the rear fenders.. and i have a big cut/roll/pull back there.

looking forward to disintegrating all of them, but i may have to hold back to have some tires to hit up an out of town event some friends are holding on saturday.. more later.
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 06-14-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    new projekt 11JZ111...
    For sale???? say it aint so....

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    extensive shakedown at an undisclosed location while wasting 6 tires confirmed that all my new/made parts work perfectly. looking forward to saturday and an out of town event that i dont have to be responsible for managing.. pics to follow i'm sure.

picking up 4 205/50/15 azenis for the front tomorrow.. cheaaaaap.. need to scrounge up at least 2 more rear tires before saturday too.
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 06-17-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    You're way better off running thread-in studs, maybe Lexus stuff is different, but I know from experience Nissan studs break all the freakin time. I've been on Turner 90mm studs for 4 years now and never a single problem. I'm guessing youre planning to swap the 1JZ in there? If so you'll need a 6-cylinder rear end anyway, the 4-cyl rear ends are known for breaking axles and diffs quite easily, and the splines on the 4cyl, 6 cyl and M3 hubs are all different.

Also if those motor mounts are polyurethane, then your engine is really just sitting on those 3/4inch metal sleeves. The poly is just a dress along for the ride and with the mass x lateral and longitudinal forces you're looking at, the bolt is gonna break eventually unless that's a magnesium M44 you got there.

I say that as sincere advice.

Sweet handbrake and awesome wheels!
    Last edited by SLR; 06-18-2010 at 01:09 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ its a 2jz Sean

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    ^ its a 2jz Sean

Well shit, he better get used to watching the rear axle, -traling arms and all-, drive out from under the car and cross the start line without him

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    thanks for the advice. the studs are actually H&R i bought for the GS along with some 7mm spacers a few years back. never gave me a problem all 5yrs i used them with a 3000 lb+ 400hp Lexus that drifted pretty much daily.

the bolts i'm using for the mounts are 4" long grade 8. i think they will hold up. i have the sleeve cut short enough that the engine is resting on the urethane, and will only contact the sleeve on transition, sort of like a suspension bump stop.

just in case, i do have extra "mount" bolts in case something happens at an event.

and yes, the engine is a 2jz, with a PHR GT62. Only made 400whp in my GS b/c I never got around to swapping out the automatic tranny and i wasnt going to build it. So I kept the power (low? haha) and learned the auto. I never went over stock ecu tuning or 1 bar fuel cut to make that power either.

this car will be different. the supporting mods for the rear end will be done. that is why the engine is not in the car yet.. collecting tranny, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft and new stuff for the back end.

i figure at this point i'll just continue to run our series and some other events this year as a 4 cyl, and get to know the chassis itself. working out so far, but i really need to be able to use 3rd.. so a real diff and some gearing is a needed change.

thanks for the input though.. thoughts on gearing to use this 4cylinder better for the time being? gear ratio math pwns me.. 3.15, 3.21, 3.73, 3.90?? i have a welded 3.45 now.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by projekt EPiK View Post
    thanks for the advice. the studs are actually H&R i bought for the GS along with some 7mm spacers a few years back. never gave me a problem all 5yrs i used them with a 3000 lb+ 400hp Lexus that drifted pretty much daily.

the bolts i'm using for the mounts are 4" long grade 8. i think they will hold up. i have the sleeve cut short enough that the engine is resting on the urethane, and will only contact the sleeve on transition, sort of like a suspension bump stop.

just in case, i do have extra "mount" bolts in case something happens at an event.

and yes, the engine is a 2jz, with a PHR GT62. Only made 400whp in my GS b/c I never got around to swapping out the automatic tranny and i wasnt going to build it. So I kept the power (low? haha) and learned the auto. I never went over stock ecu tuning or 1 bar fuel cut to make that power either.

this car will be different. the supporting mods for the rear end will be done. that is why the engine is not in the car yet.. collecting tranny, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft and new stuff for the back end.

i figure at this point i'll just continue to run our series and some other events this year as a 4 cyl, and get to know the chassis itself. working out so far, but i really need to be able to use 3rd.. so a real diff and some gearing is a needed change.

thanks for the input though.. thoughts on gearing to use this 4cylinder better for the time being? gear ratio math pwns me.. 3.15, 3.21, 3.73, 3.90?? i have a welded 3.45 now.
    I think you could get a 4.45 for the small diff, but youre going to break that diff pretty soon most likely, I would just upgrade to a full 6cyl rear end with a 4.10 ratio from an E30.

BTW, I have a low mile toyota R151 gearbox (same as R154, just shorter 1st gear for truck application) 17k miles, bolt up a Soarer bellhousing and youve got a 5-spd 2JZ. Lemme know if you might want it.

My Cars
    06 Impreza Wagon
    this guys legit!

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    Dom- Thanx bro. Cool meeting you at Road Atlanta. You were killing it in the pro-Am. I have been DYING to run that course since 2004 when i was there watching the first FD ever.. jealous. I didnt try it this time b/c the m44 just wont cut it on the horseshoe/downhill LOL.. next year, with 500hp under the hood.. count on it.

PGT.. interested... i'll PM you this weekend, or feel free to PM me the details and i'll get back to you.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Jeff the higher the diff fd number, the faster the car accelerates and revs. At the same time the lower the mph in that gear goes. So for drifting I would think you want more than stock.

BTW I'm sure you can find out who this is
    Last edited by m3collins; 06-23-2010 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    this is insane

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Und das sowas von sowas kommt!

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    m3collins.. yes i know you man.. hows the e46 delette?

sean.. i dont know german, i just know that slogan, my grandfathers 1st Special Service Force unit (Devils Brigade) in ww2 used to leave it on german soldiers after night raids in italy.

hmm.. ran that thru babelfish and still nothing.. little help?
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 06-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    und-das--sowas--von--sowas---kommt
    and-that-sothing-from--sothing-comed (came)

German is actually really similar to english, I wrote comed above to show the evolution of the language.

das--dicke--ende--kommt-noch
    that-worse-end---comed-yet ------(the worst is yet to come)

I yanked the line from Nena's 99 Luftballons song, (in the song it saying that such thing (WW3) started from such a thing (99 hotair ballons), speaking of the numerous false alarms in the cold war that nearly started WW3 )
    Last edited by SLR; 06-24-2010 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    The e46 is coming along nicely. Got the suspension all done with poly bushings and Turner rear trailing arms on top of everything else that was already there. Handles like a go-cart now! Other than power, my old Subaru had NOTHING on this

Working on getting 9.5" front / 10" rear CSL wheels with 245f/275r tires. Also CSL front bumper with CSL trunk (gonna try to get and paint Joey's trunk).

I've been trying to sell Joey's stuff but it isn't easy.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    this is the origin of the slogan on my windshield,

new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Yea after I looked up phrase I came across some cool info on those guys. I actually have a WW2 German officers helmet my grandfather picked up over there around 1947, kinda spooky to look at, has the eagle holding Swastika on one side and the Reich 3color shield on the opposite...

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    my paternal grandfather was one of the original, trained in helena, mt. they did some crazy superman stuff.. my grandmother died last september and going thru her things with my family we came on a lot of old ww2 pictures, then there were the medals..the special uniform, and ww2 memorabilia, including a german officer's pistol.. german insignias.. a nazi leather belt and buckle.. unfortunately he died when i was 7, so didnt really get to know him. i look almost identical to him however, and considering that in training, everything they did was with a 150lb pack on their back, including running, mtn climbing, cross country skiing.. at 5'10" and my 170lbs.. i'm amazed.

anyway.. that is why the slogan.. homage to him.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast