Thread: OBC/MID Repair

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)

OBC/MID Repair

Just bought my '99 323is. What's the word on repairing a pixelated On Board Computer/Multi-Informational Display? Is it a fuse issue, or do I basically need to find a new one and pop it in?

Thanks,
    D

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Here you go:

Pixel DIY

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    WOW. This is perfect, your the best man.

Has anyone done this - difficulty scale? Doesn't seem to bad. Maybe like stereo installation level. :>

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Probably, but I am about to chuck my OBC since nobody can give me a reason to keep it.
    I want the space for some gauges
    Last edited by MrSaikou; 06-14-2010 at 01:32 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Is yours in perfect working order? What kind of gauges are you looking to install?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    No, it is not in perfect working order. LOL

I am thinking about Water temp, and Oil pressure. 2 things that can go horribly, horribly wrong....

My Cars
    96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSaikou View Post
    No, it is not in perfect working order. LOL

I am thinking about Water temp, and Oil pressure. 2 things that can go horribly, horribly wrong....
    If I were you, I'd do oil temp too since cold oil=thick oil=oil that doesn't lubricate well when you rev your engine
    328 Mafia

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by advertisehere View Post
    If I were you, I'd do oil temp too since cold oil=thick oil=oil that doesn't lubricate well when you rev your engine
    But then again, no oil pressure = no oil = lolcrankbearings

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by advertisehere View Post
    Well, I will have room for a 3rd gauge likely. Hmmm...oil temp or clock.....
    tough call there

My Cars
    2004 ZHP Sedan 6spd
    I have an 18 button (unknown condition) and a 7 button OBC. make me an offer.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I have read very mixed reviews on that OBC pixel fix. I tried it and it didn't work. In fact I did more damage taking it apart. The only thing that makes it worth trying is because your OBC is basically useless as it sits. In my case I had a few dead pixels that I wanted to fix. After I saw the result I was thinking I should have just lived with it. I ended up getting another used one for about $75.

If this one goes bad while I still have the car I will replace it with guages. Engine temp, Oil Pressure, Outside air temp. I really like knowing what the temp outside is. I have a clock feature on my head unit so I dont really need that.

My Cars
    2005 325xi (E46)
    Hey All,

Did this fix. 1 hour - worked great. Very little pixelation left in the middle area. All in all completely worth it, now there is no need to replace mine.

It's like you said, I had nothing to lose. The hardest part was really the removal from the dash... other than that everything was easily explained and done. I could do it in 15 min. if I started over.

Give it a shot.

-D

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I have read very mixed reviews on that OBC pixel fix. I tried it and it didn't work. In fact I did more damage taking it apart. The only thing that makes it worth trying is because your OBC is basically useless as it sits. In my case I had a few dead pixels that I wanted to fix. After I saw the result I was thinking I should have just lived with it. I ended up getting another used one for about $75.

If this one goes bad while I still have the car I will replace it with guages. Engine temp, Oil Pressure, Outside air temp. I really like knowing what the temp outside is. I have a clock feature on my head unit so I dont really need that.

I'm in the same boat. Absolutely no change whatsoever, which is surprising. I understand the theory, so I should have at least gained some pixels. Total fail.
    But that settles it, the gauges are going in the OBC slot

However, I am now an expert in doing the procedure, since I went through it about half a dozen times. It takes me 5 minutes.