Thread: Need Boot Floppy software for MODIC III

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32

Unhappy Need Boot Floppy software for MODIC III

Hello,

I found an old MODIC III like this :

But because batteries were very old, when I disconnect it when it was working correctly, from the main base, it immediatly cut off the power and shut off the Modic. But now, the unix system has been altered and I'm looking for the floppy boot disk to start on the DIS CD-rom .

Then I have to reinstall the system on my Modic.

Does anyone has the install boot floppy disk I need to boot on the DIS cd-rom I already have ?

Please help me :'(

Thanks,

PIFOUBMW

My Cars
    Bmw
    You FOUND a modic? lol!

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatxx87 View Post
    You FOUND a modic? lol!
    Not exactly ^^ It a broken modic which was unused by a bmw dealer. It was out of order. I repair the electronic problem but the software problem for me is to find the floppy instal disc to boot the main CD-rom.

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32

Unhappy

Hello,

Nobody can help me ?

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39
    Hello,
    Did you get a solution to your problem ?
    I have got a Modic 3 too.

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997

MoDiC iii Help

I have recently acquired a MoDiC iii, and have the install floppy and some CDs. I am awaiting the arrival of some replacement batteries, so as to be able to fire it up.

However, I am still missing the original orange diagnostic head and 20-pin connector cable. Anyone got one for sale???

I'd also like to get a copy of the original Operating Manual, and I suspect I might need a password to install DIS and TIS.

Any help or suggestions will be welcome. BMWE38FAN, perhaps we can swap information, either publicly here since there is so little information out there, or else offline. Please let me know if you are interested.

Meanwhile, PIFOUBMW, if you can suggest a way to diskcopy a Unix 3-1/2-inch floppy disk on a Windows PC, I would be glad to try to do that for you -- especially if you can help me source the missing orange diagnostic head! :-)

-- E36Ron
    Last edited by E36Ron; 09-18-2011 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by E36Ron View Post
    I have recently acquired a MoDiC iii, and have the install floppy and some CDs. I am awaiting the arrival of some replacement batteries, so as to be able to fire it up.

However, I am still missing the original orange diagnostic head and 20-pin connector cable. Anyone got one for sale???

I'd also like to get a copy of the original Operating Manual, and I suspect I might need a password to install DIS and TIS.

Any help or suggestions will be welcome. BMWE38FAN, perhaps we can swap information, either publicly here since there is so little information out there, or else offline. Please let me know if you are interested.

Meanwhile, PIFOUBMW, if you can suggest a way to diskcopy a Unix 3-1/2-inch floppy disk on a Windows PC, I would be glad to try to do that for you -- especially if you can help me source the missing orange diagnostic head! :-)

-- E36Ron
    Hello E36RON,

My Modic still out of order without the floppy disk, my hope is in your floppy disk , may be could you use WINIMAGE I don't know if it will copy sector by sector but It's actually the only soft I know

Unfortunatly, for your missing orange diagnostic head, I only could suggest to look for ebay chinese copy of the BMW head and I don't know if there are compatible. I hope so.

I hope that WINIMAGE will be able to copy the floppy disk, else I will ask to my friend at work if they have another solution.

Thanks for your big help

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32

Question

Hello E36RON

Could you send me an image of the boot disk ?

Thanks,

PIFOUBMW from France

My Cars
    F11
    Hi. I need CD's (or image's this CD's) to Modic III, but English version of DIS (On my modic is German DIS installed).
    I Pay for help.

Best Regards
    iNTELL

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Which DIS version is installed on your Modic? Is it v44, v57 or maybe another version.

My Cars
    F11
    My Modic has DIS V30, and this is latest version of DIS on this Modic. I tried install DIS V39, but is does not work

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Yeah V30 is very old, I got only V39, V44 and V57, I don't think these versions are compatible with Modic III.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    Hi,

I have a version 29 of DIS. I don't know if it works, but if anybody is still interested, I can make it available.
    And a version 33.

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    I believe the last version to work reliably on a MoDiC III is version 28 (including its updates).

The key to inatalling all of these versions is the Install floppy, v.1.0, which is 3-1/2 inch, Unix formatted.

If anyone has one of those, there could be a market for it.-- E36Ron

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I'll check what I have.Do you know up to which version of DIS the orange Kontron head is compatible?

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by PBo View Post
    Do you know up to which version of DIS the orange Kontron head is compatible?

The orange Kontron head works only with the MoDiC III. The DISPlus and the GT-1 both use a yellow head. So compatibility with the orange head is the same as compatibility with the MoDiC III.

The information I picked up from various forums was that Versions of DIS after V.28 may be "unstable" with the MoDiC III.

So I think that you use later versions of DIS with the orange head at your own risk.

However, my expectation is that "instability" or other non-functioning would manifest itself in fairly obvious ways, e.g. no reading where the should be a reading, or failure to detect a module on a car that has that module, or similar.

Just my suppositions.

Please do let me know if you have a spare V.13.0 installation diskette (I misspoke above when I referred to V.1.0. it's V.13.0.)

-- E36Ron

- - - Updated - - -

PS: In Addition to the above I would add the following:

I have verified that DIS 29 was the last version designed for the DISPlus and MoDiC only, requiring Install Disk No. 13.0.

DIS 30 was the first disc set that was compatible with the GT-1 (which was intended to replace both the DISPlus and the MoDiC, and is illustrated on the face of the DIS 30 CDs, whereas it is not on the faces of the DIS 29 or prior CDs). The DIS 30 CDs also required "Red Installation Diskette V 1.0," which was new, versus the prior V 13.0 diskette.

Although I have no documentation to back this up, I expect this is why previous posts have said not to go beyond V 28 or 29 on the MoDiC -- there may have been installation problems with the new diskette.

-- E36Ron
    Last edited by E36Ron; 01-05-2017 at 05:54 PM.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    Thank you very much for this detailed answer.
    PM sent.

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32
    Hello From France,

Finally a member sent me a disk and i was able to instal the software. But It seems that I am not able to check E32 anymore but may be I installed a V29 version.

because V28 seems to be the lastest working version, I will install it again.

But my problem is that I helped a friend who swaped the engine in his E36 compact and I think my kontron orange head can't read the ADS lines anymore since this swap (bad wiring on the car?)

I will test it asap because I would like to check my 1993 ALPINA B11 engine 3.5L with EML because idle is not stable.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Hello,

i got an old DIS with the CRT Monitor, but the software does not work.

The problem is i only got the installation floppy v13.0 for Modic.

It seems there is a different installation floppy for DIS.

I need the DIS installation floppy V13.0.

So if somebody could help me out you could bring one more historical tester back to life.

greetings from Germany
    Philipp

My Cars
    2010 BMW X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by meren View Post
    Hello,

i got an old DIS with the CRT Monitor, but the software does not work.

The problem is i only got the installation floppy v13.0 for Modic.

It seems there is a different installation floppy for DIS.

I need the DIS installation floppy V13.0.

So if somebody could help me out you could bring one more historical tester back to life.

greetings from Germany
    Philipp
    Hello Philipp,

recently I got the the Installation DIS V13.0 floppy with red label you need.
    Perhaps we can help each other, because I need the Installation floppy V13.0 for Modic with grey label.

I am also from Germany!
    Greetings psampson

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Hey everybody, i got a modic 3 but my DIS V13.0 floppy does not work(corrupted), anybody got a floppy image?

@psampson
    Sorry i missed your post.