Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Removal.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5

Dash Removal.

Alright, before anyone jumps on me and tells me that I should not do this because I am a novice and will mess everything up, hold on. I am just looking to get some info. I know that a few people on here have removed the dash on their 8's and I was wondering what the process involves. If anyone has any info, or knows of a DIY that explains it, please let me know. Thanks guys.
    -Ryan

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Why would we tell you to not take off your dash?

Every 8 owner should appreciate that at least once....

(Hint: Whack your left thumb with a hammer first....so you have an idea whats to come.)
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    92 850i -- 06 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
    Alright, before anyone jumps on me and tells me that I should not do this because I am a novice and will mess everything up, hold on. I am just looking to get some info. I know that a few people on here have removed the dash on their 8's and I was wondering what the process involves. If anyone has any info, or knows of a DIY that explains it, please let me know. Thanks guys.
    -Ryan
    If you really want to tackle this then its def a learning process. I just did the heater core in my 8 about 3 months ago. Make sure you have a place to keep the car and you have patience. To start you will need to start in the back seat and work your way forward. Also when you get to removing your center console and dash you will prob sh*t your pants at all the wiring behind everything. Definetly make sure you label everything that you disconnect right away or you will be in for a fun surprise when you need to put it back together. Also keep in mind you are goin to have a "million" screws that you need to remember where to put. Its def an experience and I found it fun. Also have gentle hands or you will be breaking a lot of "ancient" plastic LoL.

My Cars
    E31, E38, E39
    This is a link that I've always saved and post once in a while.

I hope it may help. It is a heater core replacement by detailing the dash removal.

http://acme-ltd.com/BMW/E31_8_series_heater_core.htm

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Thanks guys

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    awww....it aint THAT bad a job...

91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    awww....it aint THAT bad a job...

Yeah, I did some searching and saw that picture. Hey, did you get my PM by the way?

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    thanks for posting that pic Wuffer - it helps identify what sort of a nice job I'll have getting at the aircon evaporator. :-)

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    The manual swears you can pull the AC core out the side??? Looks easier on an 8 than a 7 series.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Lumens View Post
    The manual swears you can pull the AC core out the side??? Looks easier on an 8 than a 7 series.
    yes, but I may have to get under the dash anyway to do a couple of other items, I want to check all heater connections as sometimes I have that nice sweet smell in the cabin which from personal experience in other cars I found to be leaking coolant/antifreeze mix.
    Last edited by argonaut; 06-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Yep... those two little angled black pipes in the middle of the pic are the bad boys you're gonna have to get at Jason. Not an enviable job to be sure.

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrad6653 View Post
    Yep... those two little angled black pipes in the middle of the pic are the bad boys you're gonna have to get at Jason. Not an enviable job to be sure.

A walk in the park Randy....

My Cars
    '93 850Ci,'01 X5
    You can access your evaporator from your passenger side if it a US car. look here:

Airbag removal and stand on your head on the passenger side. Have fun!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Alright, me and my brosef are going to tackle the dash removal in the next day or two. I have to remove the gray dash, then remove the black dash from my other 8 and put the black dash in the 8 that I took the gray dash out of.....wish me luck.

(I am using the instructions from the link that Arlington8 posted up. If anyone who has removed their dash before could look at that link and tell me if there's anything I should do differently, please do so. Thanks)

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Two things to remember which i thought were the hardest, Be careful with the tender thingies, Plenty of them too! and remember where all parts returns to, I saw no need to remove any seats in 4 heater core jobs. Like mentioned, Be patient not to break anything, It's time consuming because of that.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Well luckily, my entire interior is already stripped except for the dash and center console because I'm leatherique-ing my seats.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    I did it, it only took like 3.5 - 4 hours.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Good job, I see you did'nt do it alone!-)

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Ryan,
    just got your message. I see that an answer would be moot at this point. How much did the Weiner-dog help you?
    Before you go and start bolting stuff back together, now is a good opportunity to check the heater core and the 2 black plastic pipes for ANY signs of possible failure.
    Replace them if they look questionable (it is 100 times easier to do this now, than it will be in the near future when you have everything put back together.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    91 850i, 07 Jeep SRT8
    We have the same helper dogs

CB01718 850i Lagunengruen Metallic / Silbergrau Leder

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    now is a good opportunity to check the heater core and the 2 black plastic pipes for ANY signs of possible failure.
    Replace them if they look questionable (it is 100 times easier to do this now, than it will be in the near future when you have everything put back together.
    Agreed 100%, Even though the next time will be easier to dismantle, It makes a lot of sense to not have to repeat this process for years, The heater core with the attached black pipe and 5 O-rings would be very, Very wise to replace at this time on the basis that they have not been replaced before.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    I've thought about doing the heater core but that is where I get a little confused

Just got the black dash out; took about 3/4 as long as it took last time and no help this time.

Got the black dash about 90% back on the car, it looks great. Will post pics soon.
    Last edited by Ziminskas; 06-16-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1993 850Ci

AC Expansion Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Imndeep View Post
    You can access your evaporator from your passenger side if it a US car. look here:

Airbag removal and stand on your head on the passenger side. Have fun!
    Was going to post and ask where on earth is the expansion valve and how do you get to it, it's not mentioned in the service manual at all. But then found this picture, so a bump for next person searching

Hoping it's just bad O-rings... Shone a UV torch under the glovebox this morning and found where all my UV dye has been going

Just looking at this picture gives me a headache!

Always impressed by all of you with the skill and knowledge to tackle jobs like this.

My Cars
    BMW 850csi
    Is it possible to remove the lower centre console below the OBC,STEREO etc working from the back of the car to the front.

I assume disconnecting the gear lever and switches around the gear lever has to be done first ?

Do the OBC and stereo ,heater controls have to be removed to expose the screws?

Manual car not auto.

14) Remove the various bins and compartments from the center console, including the ash tray. All the screws that hold the center console in should now be exposed. Remove the two screws at the rear the two or three in the middle (bottom), the four on the sides (bottom) and the four at the front that hold it to the dash. Remove the center console. (Pull the e-brake up as far as possible)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast