Thread: Sunroof inner panel has gone

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Coupe

Sunroof inner panel has gone

Today I was playing with my sunroof and when I had it all the way back, it didn't return in one piece. The lining panel stayed behind in that little space between the roof and roof lining. I am unable to remove it and this article http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/24.aspx says something about it being "difficult" to remove if it gets pushed back and off its rails. I have had the metal panel off and I can't make any headway on this. Does anyone have any ideas on this apart from removing the roof lining?

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Might need to remove the headliner....

My Cars
    95 E36 328i, 11 E82 135i
    I recently had my sunroof casette out to do a full repair (due to mechanism jamming and sunroof panel coming off on freeway!)

First ensure you have the panel (or at least it's frame) forward to the close position. Then tap it back a tiny bit. Now look to the back of the car. Place your fingers into the sunroof casette (between roof and headliner) and try feel with your fingers for the shuttle piece. It should be reachable as it is limited at the back by the end of the casette.

If you get it, tap the sunroof panel back a little more and and ensure shuttle is as far forward as it can go. Now move sunroof back to closed position. Hopefully the shuttle slider will catch the cable and move forward into position.

If you have no luck, then you might have to remove the sunroof casette (which I recommend if you are replacing parts). This is a BIG job but might be the only way to get it right. Pelican parts have some excellent articles detailing this job, which you can read here:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/index.htm

I hope you can get it out by putting your fingers in there and slowly drawing it out, since I don't wish a full sunroof rebuild on anyone! It is horrible!