Thread: OE Sheepskin "vests" - who has em? who knows about em?

My Cars
    95 530i 106k nik

OE Sheepskin "vests" - who has em? who knows about em?

For a variety of reasons, ive considered seat covers. I know the cheap ones look like crap though, and the expensive ones cost more than new (used) seats. Couple months back on ebay i saw some "vests" of sheepskin that run down the center portions of the seat. I wasnt feeling them at the time, but since then ive come around. Ive also realized how rare they seem to be?

I found a couple websites that make new ones, but recently i found this website that outlines the BMW OE ones.

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=654106&ukey_assembl y=158584&assembly=29579

I called the dealership about part#82110147524 (the beige ones) specifically. Appearently they were superceded by another style of vest that includes 'shoulder' coverage, but both parts were "discontinued long ago". He said they ran $250 when they were available, but are long gone and he could not order either style anymore.

Sinse then, I saw another set on ebay...and i pounced. Guy 'claimed' he didnt know anything about them except that he pulled them off his e24 M6 and they were in great shape. These do not look like the first set i saw so many months ago though. The first set had the BMW logo burned into a bare leather portion near the top of the covers. These dont appear to be marked in any way.

Point is, does anyone have them. Although im passed the point of no return, id like to know if i have the legit gear or some internet 'custom' product. How do yours fasten to the seats? How do the legit ones deal with the headrest. Anyone have pictures of legit ones!?

Any info or insight, or even your own story involving them would be appreciated.
    "I have come here to chew bubbleguma and kick @ss...and im all outta bubblegum" -Rowdy Roddy Piper

My Cars
    Scrap
    I actually have a set of black sheep skin covers my dad had on his old black on dove 525im. They are really dusty at this point. I just remember them being awesome when I was younger. I haven't needed to use them as I have cloth seats.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    One of my dad's old XJS's had sheepskin covers. They were so nice during the winter. I wish I had a set but have never seen any for sale.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    RealOEM does not list those seat covers as discontinued. GetBMWParts.com shows a price of $200 each for those beige ones. Might want to ask the dealer to dig a little deeper?

Are you looking for these for sports seats or normal comfort seats? I'd imagine they're different.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Here's a link to a guy that makes custom ones. Pretty pricey though.

http://www.worlduph.com/sheepseat.html

My Cars
    95 530i 106k nik
    yeah i found like 2 other websites of guys that make em. I was hoping for OE. I guess im just impatient and was hoping someone had pics or tips on how to identify originals.

In any case, i already paid for these other ones. Guess I'll know a little more when they are in front of me and i can find markings to prove if they are legit or not. If not...only $125 shipped. I could do a lot worse i guess? (assuming they are even half decent quality)
    "I have come here to chew bubbleguma and kick @ss...and im all outta bubblegum" -Rowdy Roddy Piper

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBisonT View Post
    yeah i found like 2 other websites of guys that make em. I was hoping for OE. I guess im just impatient and was hoping someone had pics or tips on how to identify originals.

In any case, i already paid for these other ones. Guess I'll know a little more when they are in front of me and i can find markings to prove if they are legit or not. If not...only $125 shipped. I could do a lot worse i guess? (assuming they are even half decent quality)
    That doesn't seem to be bad. They pop up occasionally but it's just a matter of waiting. Be sure to post pictures when you get them.

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    I wanted custom sheepskin floor mats with 540i embroidered in, until I found out it was almost $600 for a set of 4, haha.

My Cars
    E34sx5
    I've got a pair of them in the garage. They are the ones you describe with "BMW" burned into a bare rectangle of leather near the top.

PM me an offer if you want them.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    The down the middle vests wouldn't have helped in my case, as the wear spots in the seats were on the outer parts of the seats. The leather hadn't torn any holes, but I wanted to protect the seats before it did.

So I bought these: http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...A1518A0A0.aspx from autoanything.com. They were $489.33 shipped for the front seat pair. They are extremely high quality sheepskins. I later, added the headrests and seat belt sleeves for $139.86 shipped.
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

My Cars
    95 530i 106k nik
    Well, here is the long and the short of it in case anyone wanted to know the end of the story.

I picked them up and they were pretty filthy (this pissed me off cuz the dude said "like new", but eh, oh well). The cleaned up alright. I machine washed these on 'delicate' and let them air dry in the sun.

I still dont know if these are 'real'. Not sure if they are real sheep, or OE. I doubt it on both. No part#s or marking of any kind. No tags or anything. But they do look pretty sharp. Fit is solid, and it kicks the crap out of my old torn leather. Its a bit...yellow. Not my cup of tea exactly. But again, def an improvement overall and thats all i really asked for. May decide to drop them in favor of new leather at some point, but for the price they def will serve my short term needs.

Before

After

My Cars
    Suck
    Dye 'em black or some other, darker color.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Dye 'em black or some other, darker color.
    +1 it will look a million times better.

My Cars
    95 530i 106k nik
    now that you mention it...agreed.

I guess i gotta get researching how to dye sheepskin.

Will it make a huge difference in regard to the unknown authenticity of of the wool/synthetic fibers? Any good product recomendations either way?
    Last edited by BigBisonT; 06-21-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling