Thread: What did you do to your e21 today?

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Did some more work on getting the new peddles and master cylinders mounted into the car today. Still need to make the mounting plates that will get welded to the hanger tubes, 1" squire tubing for now.

The device in the steering column is a 1 to 1.5 steering quickener.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 BMW 320i, 93 Volvo850
    Replaced the vacuum hose between the carbon canister and the return line to the fuel tank. Old one had literally rotted and fallen off. Sadly no change in consistent starting. Thinking cleaning the WUR and replacing the main fuel filter again to see if that fixes the issue.

OLD MAN: That is very cool looking. Envious of how good it looks.

My Cars
    BMW 320i / VW GTI 1.8T
    Installed a set over Crystal Clear Cross Hair headlights with Amber city lights.

They are a little crooked but I can live with it.

Last edited by Euro Lovin; 08-20-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    1980 e21 320i
    2002 VW GTI 1.8T
    1996 Jeep GC 5.2L V8

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Lovin View Post
    They are a little crooked but I can live with it.
    You say that until you turn the lights on at night and see how 'off' the pattern is.

Daryl - AWESOME!!! You'll have to tell me how you like the steering set-up and the brakes. Does this mean no more drums in the rear? (assuming they were still hanging around before, can't remember)

As for me, I drove my for a little bit today. Seems to have needed it since a push-start was required. I'm thinking there is STILL something wrong with it warm starting, might need to check the 'sensor' for that. Timing had been adjusted a while back (per Daryl's suggestion) and it seemed to help with cold and warm starts when the weather was cooler. But with temps over 85deg out lately, the car seems to THINK it is warm, even if it hasn't turned over in a week.

I gotta say, redlining 3rd gear on the highway and upshifting to 4th while at full boost and STAYING at full boost....muuuuch better than trying to merge into traffic at the same on-ramp in the Smart.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    82 320 I
    Finally grew a set and fully dissected the engine wiring harness. Cleanup, repairing connections, eliminated kjet computer behind glovebox and associated wiring and diagnostic port.

Any suggestions for accessory's or anything I might add in the future? Build it in now and plug and play later.

Also I'm considering blade style fuse box and relocating to the interior. "Rocking fuse's after every rain gets old." I remember someone doing an exceptional job with this, I just dont remember who, and I cant find the thread.

The crap that came out of it.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Strong work Daryl

Poke Air Ride Removable Bump Stops by Neeko.

I'm going to wrap that corner of the inner fender with some thick plate and add plate to the inside as well. It won't take all of the force because the fenders will be touching the the tires at about the same time.
    Last edited by TheNeek; 08-23-2012 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Looking great Nic - are these positive stops or do they compress some? You may want to get some softer bump stops off the front of a new Chevy 2500 FWD or similar?

Thanks I will post more pics soon of the steering and brake work - here are some pics of the door hinges. I took them apart and made them quick release so the doors can be taken off the car in a couple of minutes. Also made the parts of the hinges bolted to the doors smaller for less weight.

Last edited by OLD MAN; 08-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 BMW 320i, 93 Volvo850
    Ordered new clutch master cylinder. Now we play the waiting game. Might go pick up a new fuel filter after I pull the WUR off to clean it.

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    Finally, tucked that sh*t.

My Cars
    1990 735il
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubvance View Post
    Finally grew a set and fully dissected the engine wiring harness. Cleanup, repairing connections, eliminated kjet computer behind glovebox and associated wiring and diagnostic port.

Any suggestions for accessory's or anything I might add in the future? Build it in now and plug and play later.

Also I'm considering blade style fuse box and relocating to the interior. "Rocking fuse's after every rain gets old." I remember someone doing an exceptional job with this, I just dont remember who, and I cant find the thread.

The crap that came out of it.
    Man vdubvance that is a mess > how did you ever sort that out ??
    1990 735il

My Cars
    E28, '07 Duramax LBZ
    adjusted the valves this morning. tore everything apart to do the timing belt only to be broadsided by some very soft allen bolts on the harmonic balancer.

My Cars
    98 M3 , 82 320i
    Relocated my ICM ground from the starter to an actual ground ( p.o. must have just stuck it there, got fed up, and sold the car to me )

My Cars
    '79 320i, '84 633CSi
    I took my baby to my parents house for a tune-up

Tried to figure out how points work (before I throw in the electronic ignition)

Does this look dirty to you? Also, how the heck do you remove the points?

I found stuff to clean :P I wonder how worn this is considered?

Do brands for distributor caps and rotors matter?

Also changed oil, and cleaned some spark plugs with some VERY heavy deposits... Caused by cracked valve guides? I don't know but I guess I gotta clean my spark plugs every oil change or sooner...

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Finally found my air leak. The oil filler cap. Sneaky little bastard.

My Cars
    '79 320i, '84 633CSi
    Hit a truck... with my rear end. :\ Rear left fender has a large dent. Good excuse to learn autobody repair, and do the side marker light delete! Good thing I have spare tail lights around XD

My Cars
    83 320i
    I replaced the cushion foam in my drivers side recaro. Took my own advice!
    Big difference, now the bolsters don't aggravate my sciatica!
    Last edited by cheap320i; 09-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is

Passed Smog

Passed smog. No great technical achievement, but always a big relief.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveseven808 View Post
    Does this look dirty to you? Also, how the heck do you remove the points? I found stuff to clean :P I wonder how worn this is considered? Do brands for distributor caps and rotors matter?

Also changed oil, and cleaned some spark plugs with some VERY heavy deposits... Caused by cracked valve guides? I don't know but I guess I gotta clean my spark plugs every oil change or sooner...
    First question - that looks pretty normal and usually is not a consideration unless it is really bad.

Second question - you remove the point by removing that big screw. It's VERY short. You loosed the screw to adjust your points. You really need to get a quick education on adjusting points. It's easier with someone to show you.

Third Question - That cap is horrendous. It will serve you no benefit to in this condition. The metal tabs inside are so corroded you need to buy a new one. They're cheap. ONLY BUY CAPS WITH BRASS CONNECTIONS!!! Did I say that loud enough? You are okay with BOSCH. Same with rotor.

I'm going to guess with almost 100% accuracy that your plugs will not benefit you cleaning them. Period. Clean them all you want but if you do not gap them at the proper gap, they're not going to perform well. By the looks of that cap and heavy deposits on the plugs, you need to replace everything. That means cap, rotor and plugs. Your plug wires are probably okay as they look fairly new.

The FIRST thing you need to do however, is buy a repair manual. Haynes, Chiltons or Clymer. It doesn't too much matter, but if you're going to work on these things yourself, you have to learn how to do them and when to do them and do them properly. Most likely if you don't, the end result will be a lot of money out of your pocket and a car sitting in your driveway that you can't drive. That may sound a little harsh but as truthful as it is, there's good news. The good news is that you have hundreds of people here who know these cars inside out and have been exactly where you are right now with your car and are willing to help you any way we can to teach you and to help you teach yourself. These are perfect cars to learn auto mechanics on. Now go buy that manual. Read and have fun with your ride!....Come back with any questions you have. Good luck Bro!

Oh SNAP!!! German Engineering is IN DA HAUS YAH!!!

My Cars
    1983 320i
    57808, bummer about the hit the car took. Do you have a picture?

My Cars
    83 320i
    Put on some of my new clear corner lenses which fit US bezels.
    OFF.

ON

I'm sort of impressed with myself, but lmk if you want a pair.
    Last edited by cheap320i; 09-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.

My Cars
    '79 320i, '84 633CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
    First question - that looks pretty normal and usually is not a consideration unless it is really bad.

Second question - you remove the point by removing that big screw. It's VERY short. You loosed the screw to adjust your points. You really need to get a quick education on adjusting points. It's easier with someone to show you.

Third Question - That cap is horrendous. It will serve you no benefit to in this condition. The metal tabs inside are so corroded you need to buy a new one. They're cheap. ONLY BUY CAPS WITH BRASS CONNECTIONS!!! Did I say that loud enough? You are okay with BOSCH. Same with rotor.

I'm going to guess with almost 100% accuracy that your plugs will not benefit you cleaning them. Period. Clean them all you want but if you do not gap them at the proper gap, they're not going to perform well. By the looks of that cap and heavy deposits on the plugs, you need to replace everything. That means cap, rotor and plugs. Your plug wires are probably okay as they look fairly new.

The FIRST thing you need to do however, is buy a repair manual. Haynes, Chiltons or Clymer. It doesn't too much matter, but if you're going to work on these things yourself, you have to learn how to do them and when to do them and do them properly. Most likely if you don't, the end result will be a lot of money out of your pocket and a car sitting in your driveway that you can't drive. That may sound a little harsh but as truthful as it is, there's good news. The good news is that you have hundreds of people here who know these cars inside out and have been exactly where you are right now with your car and are willing to help you any way we can to teach you and to help you teach yourself. These are perfect cars to learn auto mechanics on. Now go buy that manual. Read and have fun with your ride!....Come back with any questions you have. Good luck Bro!
    Replacing everything soon! I have a new cap and rotor on the way, both Bosch since no one locally sells that brand :\

I have a nice Haynes manual! I'll check it out. I forgot I had it actually :P I needa figure out how points works before I swap over to that pertronix module I bought.

@lightsmith: These pics are after I pushed out the dent from the trunk. It looks a LOT better than it did at the time of the accident!

@cheap320i: That looks great! I'm interested in a pair! But you already know that :P

My Cars
    '79 320i, '84 633CSi
    Installed a new alternator bracket bolt with 2 lock washers (still somewhat having a tiny bit of an electrical problem)

Cleaned my iridium spark plugs and gapped them at the largest gap recommended by Haynes.

Changed distributor and rotor.

Vacuumed car, stuck some naval jelly on some rust I found, and applied some back-to-black. :]

Oh! and cheap320i's US fit clear turn signal housings came in! I stuck those on too, with plenty of pics. Review to come when I wake up!

Today was a productive day ^_^
    Last edited by fiveseven808; 09-19-2012 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Took her for a spin around the block and realized I need nee speakers!

My Cars
    1981 323i
    Today i started to pull off the intake manifold. got all of the bolts except one in the middle. the 13 seemed too big and a 12 didnt fit. only messed with that for about 5 minutes before i had to leave for work. hopefully I just didnt have the socket on right. I just hope that when I get home and look at it, its not stripped.

My Cars
    95' cruiser, 83' 320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Did some more work on getting the new peddles and master cylinders mounted into the car today. Still need to make the mounting plates that will get welded to the hanger tubes, 1" squire tubing for now.

The device in the steering column is a 1 to 1.5 steering quickener.

Very nice!

Page 101 of 206 FirstFirst ... 5176919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111126151201 ... LastLast