Thread: What did you do to your e21 today?

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    unnamed2.jpgunnamed1.jpg

Installed my Parchment color Recaro's to match the original color of the car. Adapters were powder coated, and seats were rebuilt with all parts cleaned and lubed. I cannot even begin to describe how much more comfortable they are over stock. The rear seats were also recovered, with the horizontal padding so it all matches up.

Shout out to Dave at AArdvarc Racing! He did an amazing job, and everything came together really well.
    1981 BMW 320i, Ascot Grey with Tan Leatherette, 137K, 5 speed, K&N filter, Ansa Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Rota RB's, Bumper Tuck.

2013 BMW 535i M Sport, Arctic Silver with Black interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 cc, 56K, Dark Grey on Black, Styled steel wheels, C4 Automatic.

1014 Porsche Cayman S, Black on Black

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Got my water pump changeover set, tore down and cleaned up and dried waiting for the water pump to install.

Randy

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Found out the rainy-fun-time way that it's possible to one man bump stop the car. Need a new starter, any tips?
    -John

My Cars
    1988 325i coupe
    Installed a 2 speed electric fan from a 5 series using a volvo fan relay

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by potatomash; 02-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Get the Bosch one made for the year of car and motor displacement, There is also higher crank speed ones that use less amperage from later BMW models that fit ,,Layne has the details, I have one as backup to my Bosch starter.

Bosch will be 2 yr warranty and free towing paid by bosch if starter fails--register it and its active. Free towing phamplet should be in the Bosch box--ask the seller if its in there, should be. I have seen with one seller dozens of Bosch starters in the box for like $30-$90 each that were the starter for my car,,I took a pass on them---these must be defective, buy from reputable seller--pelican parts and so forth- they back the warranty if its on them, without mumbo jumbo.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-20-2017 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    E30 325i, E21 320i
    Cut chunks out of it...

e21 2.JPG

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Drive mine to work the last two sunny days, no more sign of exhaust smells in the car since I patched up the trunk gasket and every hole I could find. But, after I stop the car and park, I am smelling a little bit of gasoline smell.

Although I did replace all of the vent hoses and fuel sender o-ring, I haven't had that under-the-back-seat cover off again yet to re-inspect.

My speedo cable is so noisy it sounds just like an exhaust manifold leak when I'm flying down the highway! Fortunately I have a brand new one at home waiting for my loving embrace.

I gotta say, the whole experience, flying down the highway at 65 or 70, just makes every bit of this worthwhile.. Planning to drive to work every sunny day I can for a while to keep shaking out the issues. It feels very solid and smooth, engine just purring away, (and the kids think it sounds just like a REAL RACE CAR)

Hard to resist taking pictures of it looking so small next to pretty much every other vehicle on the road.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Got to the bottom of the squealing noise that sounded like bearings,,After replacing the water pump noise remained, I checked out the 80 Amp alternator and the pulley was loose, the nut must have backed out, I changed the alternator to New 100 Amp one I have as spare and noise was gone, The pulley hole was too large thus when the nut came loose-the grinding started, I switched the pulley with another I had with a tighter fit to the armature shaft, added a lock washer and thread locker and installed the nut with an battery impact wrench. The pulley is a slide fit and not held in with a woodruff key thus if the alternator nut backs off it will spin free contrary to the front fan keyed into the armature shaft, tested the alternator 80 Amp one and it tested good at two different companies, no squeal at all from the bearings. I read this quite common alternator nut backing out, one of the first times I can remember this happened.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-23-2017 at 12:05 AM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Today I reinstalled my drivers side inner fender cover with a new rubber strip. unfortuntately the new rubber strip is pretty stiff and the cracked & superglued old cover was very displeased about being pushed very hard. Although it's back on the car, and good enough for now, I'm not terribly pleased with it. I didn't even mean to order that rubber strip to begin with.. I'd put it in my wish list for some random reason and then mistakenly included it in my next order. I've got a couple extra glove box hanger straps for the same reason.. return postage would cost at least as much as the extra part did.

Also, I made some calls around transmission shops in town and found one that says he can rebuild my transmission if I bring it to him, $250 for labor plus whatever parts are needed. Somehow my wife didn't quite get why I was pleased about that little discovery.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

As too sealants, I use Automotive Goop on door seals and so forth, apply to the hard surface and let sit a minute or two put the rubber seal in place, close the door or window and its attached solid within an hour or so. Its non hardening, I used it first on the window driver side as it had come loose from the arm that raises and lowers the window,, works well there too, window rolls up and down straight now and for some time.

As too rebuilding the transmission- manual ones- its a change out of the brass syncros and the bearings thruout and the gaskets- seals.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-23-2017 at 11:05 AM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Today I stopped by a friend-with-a-lift's place and took a long look around under my car to check for leaks and squeaks, and to my relief (knock on wood) it seems all my new seals and gaskets are doing their job successfully! the only leak I have right now is a very slow seepage from the right-angle oil-filter adapter thing, new seals for that are already on the way.

While it was up, we noticed my new front wheel bearings had a little play, so I readjusted them.

I also retarded the timing just a hair (to try and compensate a little for the disconnected vacuum retard), it did seem to make the engine run just a touch smoother, but didnt affect the idle speed.

This evening, I removed my broken glove box light button so I wont keep coming out to find the light on with the glove box closed, then replaced the fuse I blew messing with it incautiously, so at least the clock and dome lights will still work until I get a replacement.

I also replaced my noisy old speedo cable with a brand new one. The old one was completely missing the rubber firewall boot, so I'm happy to have that open hole fixed as well. Looking forward to hearing how my car REALLY sounds without all that speedo cable racket !

My Cars
    1978 323i
    A couple days ago I replaced the broken glove box hanger strap. It was causing the glove box to twist a little bit when open, which caused the plastic latch to "dig in" a little on one sharp corner, which, in turn, made it hard to open if it had been closed for more than a couple days.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Still looking for the brand new Getrag 245/5 sp for $900.00 I seen a while back,,hidden here in these United States somewhere.

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Going to change out transmission fluid to Shell Spirax API GL-4 made in EU tommorrow or a little later.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-01-2017 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Changed out the transmission fluid with Shell API GL-4 with an additive cocktail I mixed up.

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The front wheel bearing grease was gassing too much on hot days and the dust cap was popping off, changed the grease and drilled a small hole thru the cap to make sure pressure is not an issue anymore, even on hot days.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-03-2017 at 01:09 AM.

My Cars
    '82 323i, P205 Look
    Quote Originally Posted by potatomash View Post
    Installed a 2 speed electric fan from a 5 series using a volvo fan relay

e34 or e39 or e60 or....

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Today I filled up my gas tank (for the first time), and surprise, so far no smells or drips!

I'd been avoiding it for fear of smells, but I've really been wanting to try and figure out what kind of gas mileage I'm getting

In the past week I've driven the car about 200 miles, no issues so far, except there's still some minor noise coming from the speedo/speedo cable even after I replaced it. I did find a little felt tube on the carpet when I was cleaning up after that though, I think it must be supposed to live in the speedo cable connection and probably dampens the very sounds I'm hearing now.. I'll try sticking it back in there with a blob of grease and see if it quiets down.

Yesterday I received several boxes of parts, o-rings and seals for the right-angle oil-filter adapter, various body rubber, and some a/c knobs - unfortunately they don't match whats on there..

Getting myself mentally prepared to start working to get the A/C going again next.

My Cars
    1988 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihajlo View Post
    e34 or e39 or e60 or....
    e38/39. Awesome fans, real slim and reasonably quiet, have the same one in my e30. Only $20 from the wreckers too

You have to cut the shroud to fit it but it gets in there and sits nicely.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Yesterday my boys were complaining about getting stabbed by horse hair strands poking out of the back seat!

So I pulled the rear seats and seat belts last night.. I'll wash the belts well while they're out and see if I can get them to retract better.

This morning I dropped the seats off at a highly-rated local upholstery shop to replace the horsehair with foam. They weren't sure if the fabric on top would stand up to being re-mounted due to sun damage; but if it starts falling apart they were confident of being able to make new covers. Matching the old fabric is iffy though, but I'd be willing to go with something similar if not identical.. like a short nap corduroy maybe.

They're also going to see about replacing the old speaker deck carpet as well.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Horse hair is coarse as it dries out, I have been thinking about memory foam..

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Just got this in via Registered mail from Italy. New, Ate Brake Pressure Regulator, Price was 1/2 including shipping of the majority of Proportioning Valves out there. These valves are heavier than you think. BMW 34341151640, The back story is it went thru United Nations Business Development Center to meet import-export regulations, Super Deal, 14 days order to receive by via Posteitaliane- USPS
    DSCI0057a.jpgDSCI0058a.jpgDSCI0059a.jpgDSCI0060a.jpg

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-09-2017 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Installed the New Ate Brake Pressure Regulator, proportioning valve, fixed the pull to the left when braking-hands free from steering wheel, changed the front brake left hose as well. Brakes much smoother now.
    The proportioning valve or regulator opens up at 200 psi or so, so that equal pressure more or less is in the front and back brakes, without it, the back brakes would lock up and the car would get tail happy on hard braking. Nothing like Remedies.

Randy

Never pay list prices if its not on sale find it where it is.
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-11-2017 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I have a mild leftwards brake pull myself. Haven't diagnosed it yet but I suspect a seized caliper if the fronts were any indication.

today I bought from a pawn shop a fine used Milwaukee 1/4 impact driver with m18 "fuel" Li ion battery and charger. This is in prep for upcoming a/c project (r134a pronto before hot weather arrives). Next is to measure for a new parallel flow condenser.. was perusing vacuum pumps and manifold gauges as well but I won't be needing those quite yet.
    Last edited by cgifool; 03-13-2017 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I have a mild leftwards brake pull myself. Haven't diagnosed it yet but I suspect a seized caliper if the fronts were any indication.

today I bought from a pawn shop a fine used Milwaukee 1/4 impact driver with m18 "fuel" Li ion battery and charger. This is in prep for upcoming a/c project (r134a pronto before hot weather arrives). Next is to measure for a new parallel flow condenser.. was perusing vacuum pumps and manifold gauges as well but I won't be needing those quite yet.
    Let me know what condenser you end up using, I want to change mine out for the summer along with the blown aux fan
    -John

Page 175 of 206 FirstFirst ... 75125150165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185200 ... LastLast